Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-27-2016, 02:38 AM   #101
vkb

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBird View Post
I was feeling bad until I came to read posts in here, guess I'm not the only one with lots of problems with my Thor 4-Winds. .
Hi ! We are in eastern KS .. and just wanted you to know, being senior citizens too, we appreciate everyone on this forum .. as all seem happy to help with info and some amazing fixes for various problems.

Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 03:01 AM   #102

Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
THOR #4032
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRS JARHEAD View Post
I have to say it is very disturbing to hear these remarks.......It certainly makes me think we made a big mistake in purchasing a Thor product.......I hope not but it's not looking too good....Thanks you all for your honesty and comments......
Some people have valid complaints, but there are a lot of them that would complain if you hung them with a new rope...
Old 07-27-2016, 03:50 AM   #103

Model: 4-Winds 28F
THOR #4709
Thanks, Ken, for the reply. My sons & I did get into about every nook & cranny & found lots of extra screws, nuts & bolts. Thor did replace a lot, (parts not made in the US). This floor plan is the only one I found that suited my needs.

When my husband died 3 years ago I never thought about having to take his 3 feral cats with me, but nobody else can get near to feed them and food left outside attracts other wildlife so makes their "home" not a safe place. They are indoor-outdoor animals, born wild & given to my husband by their mother. She never got 30 feet from him but weaned her babies in our back yard & left as soon as she saw we would feed them. The older one (18) was also born feral & still runs away & hides if another human comes near. Ferals are not adoptable so Humane Society, Pals, etc, won't take the babies.

This RV gives me a place to close them behind doors in the bedroom and not need to cage them when I need to get in or out. Not the best travel companions but life happens, as long as I can take care of them I will. They were a lot of company for my husband his last years and I don't like to have them put to sleep because we destroyed their natural hunting instincts, but I won't have them suffer because of us, either.

My husband didn't like camping but enjoyed golf several times a week after he retired. I started taking our sons camping in the high country in Colorado when they were 12 & 14 years old. They are in their 50s now and have joined me camping a couple times since their father died.

I have 2 siblings living a state away so even to go overnight for a visit, I must take the cats. My brother is 90 and sister 85 so I keep the RV gassed and ready in case I need to go. I am concerned with the tires going flat on the RV. What type dual tires/valve stems/ do you have? I am really stressed with this, my first dual wheel vehicle. I hope with the new metal valve stems the problem will go away, but I am open for any advice of what type extenders to get so I can check air on the inside dual wheels.
Old 07-27-2016, 04:54 AM   #104

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: Washington
THOR #4719
MountainBird,

Wow, I'm glad you have so much devotion for the cats. We also travel with 3 cats. One is my avatar. That's Daisy. Our three have led a much quieter life. They were all kittens from the humane society. Daisy is 12 and very friendly. Tiger is 8 and afraid of anyone who has not been around him a lot. Kimba is 4 and he learned to be a scaredy cat from Tiger. They are indoor cats who are allowed outside in our backyard under direct supervision for a few minutes nearly everyday. If they should get out by accident we want them to have some idea what to expect. Tiger managed to get shut out by mistake once. I didn't realize he was gone until I saw him at the backdoor, with a "why did you do this to me?" expression.

As far as extenders, After doing some research, I went to the local tire store and had them install two braided steel covered extender hoses on each wheel. One is shorter than the other to compensate for inner/outer. In my case, I have wheel liners, so the hoses are attached with brackets to the wheel liners hub. But they are made to also work without wheel liners, The tire store got them for me, but they're are a lot like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Phoenix-USA-A...stem+extenders

So far I think they'll work fine for me.

Ken
Old 07-27-2016, 01:26 PM   #105

State: Texas
THOR #1532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Montgomery View Post
Some people have valid complaints, but there are a lot of them that would complain if you hung them with a new rope...
My brand new RV spent 172 days in the shop in the first 11 months of ownership. I think I have the right to complain.
Old 07-27-2016, 01:38 PM   #106
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:

I am concerned with the tires going flat on the RV. What type dual tires/valve stems/ do you have? I am really stressed with this, my first dual wheel vehicle. I hope with the new metal valve stems the problem will go away, but I am open for any advice of what type extenders to get so I can check air on the inside dual wheels.
Hi MountainBird ..
I understand your concern regarding the dual wheels. I admire your attitude regarding camping 'on your own' !!
One of the first things Ron did to our Axis was correct the valve stems on the dual tires.
Our KC, was a ferel kitten which we DID adopt from our local shelter..
the story goes...his mommy delivers a litter to the back steps of a local family...and they bring them to the shelter. KC, is our 'damaged goods' little fella...he will be 2 in September...he hates extreme noise and does not like strangers. (most cats know 'cat people' and are accepting) ... KC is so unlike our past loved companions. He is a good indoor cat which he happily accepts...has no desire to venture outdoors...and he loves to travel with us.

Have fun...if you are in the KC area, private message me...we can trade stories !

K
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 07-27-2016, 04:51 PM   #107

THOR #4709
Thanks, VKB, it does help to have others to ask for advice. The tire problem has me really concerned, for safety as well as cost. Thor has been good about allowing a different RV place do warranty work (warranty is over), but I am disappointed they didn't take responsibility for switching tires or the valve stems. Ford insists the vehicle came from the factory with 7 metal valve stems & Thor customer service insists "they wouldn't switch tires or valve stems". Somebody did, 4 metal on the outside tires & 3 rubber, 2 had extenders. Makes it uncomfortable when people deny what they've done, especially when they know it was a mistake. EDIT: I am in Wichita, haven't discovered the instant message mode, does my e-mail show up in profile? I go to Corp of Eng campgrounds between Clinton & Warsaw, my fav spot to camp in MO. My last trip I stayed at Longview campground, Lees Summit, nice!

After the first tire mishap Thor sent a new valve stem extender and bracket to have installed, it went on the spare tire that became the new inside dual & the spare is now the original inside dual tire that has the cut in it but holds air. We think that cut was caused by the bracket falling off that was installed at the factory. The men doing warranty work noticed the cut in the side wall so original problem was "under warranty"... only I did pay for the new valve stem & bracket to be installed since the tire place wouldn't deal with Thor. My mistake, I guess.

Bob/Robbie I agree some people are never happy but some problems are safety issues & others overwhelming when a new vehicle/RV. Right now I've noticed a lot of poor quality materials in about everything, not just RVs, but sometimes it is quality control in this country. My kids, grandsons & gr-daughters are engineers (9) in the aircraft industry, the rest are "I-T" people) they all are shocked that so much has had to be replaced on this vehicle. Airplanes don't get a second chance for things falling apart. I still like to think I got the best for my money, but right now my heart is in my throat until someone tells me it is safe to drive. My neighbors were ready to buy their first RV but backed out with so many problems they watch me struggle through. The Pollyanna in me isn't ready to give up.

Ken, I bookmarked (also an Amazon Prime shopper) so will see if that works with the new metal valve stems (that what you have?). Guess I will only need the 2 inside tire ones but good to have spares if needed. I am totally in the dark about what to do. I have the Four Winds 28F. Still think it was the best pick for me. Does your unit have the metal stems on the inside dual? Mine is a 2015 so wonder when Thor started doing the switch.. Thanks for the link to the extenders, I bookmarked.

I started to write a "book" about the cats but decided not to post it here. They have taken over my life for now. Most of my life I had feathered friends, wild & tame, along with dogs.

Thanks to all of you, I feel much better today, just knowing you are here.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:08 PM   #108

THOR #4032
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
My brand new RV spent 172 days in the shop in the first 11 months of ownership. I think I have the right to complain.
I am curious as to why one would leave their motorhome at a dealers... we always make sure they order the parts and then make an appointment to get it fixed. I have never had our motorhome disabled to the point it was not useable. Is that what happened to you?
Old 07-28-2016, 05:32 AM   #109

THOR #4709
Bob, I didn't have a choice about leaving my RV. When the jacks got stuck down in my driveway 2 of the mechanics came to free them. Messy deal when they let all the fluid out on the driveway. One of the guys drove it back to their shop. When they brought it back days later, I asked that driver to put the jacks down before he left (had another driver to pick him up). Jacks stuck again but my son was there & had learned how to free the jacks with a release near the steps. They took it back again.

I was really upset with having someone drive my unit back to the factory (nearly 1,000 miles one way) and brought it back a month later... both drivers pulled their cars with it. Totally against my better judgement but what choices did I have? I am learning patience and learning to give up my "set" ways, but it is a struggle, I am a very opinionated old lady. When my husband was alive nobody bullied him, I don't look so tough.

My unit is disabled to the point right now I am debating whether to take city streets across town when the Ford dealer gets the valve stems in, or if it is safe & won't split the inside dual tires if I take the highway across. At more than $200 for each tire, I would rather not ruin any more. As soon as I can get the tires taken care of (and extenders added) I plan to head to the mountains again. I want to travel known roads so I know places to stop. Hate to admit but I don't trust heading out by myself like I did before, and I want to get over that feeling.

I've done everything I can to be independent, have auto club and conceal carry permit. My husband was glad I got that, he died only 5 months later, after I had 3 by-passes and a new aortic valve. It never entered his mind that I could die before he did and we (kids & I) think his heart just couldn't cope, his will gave out. He had years of congestive heart failure and lived a lot longer than his doctors believed possible, I mourned him when he couldn't do the things he wanted, he died at home in his own bed, like he wanted.

Life continually changes but we have to stay strong, my father was 95 when he died and he had nothing wrong with him except he decided to sit after my mother died. His muscles shriveled up, his bones got soft and he reached a stage where he couldn't take care of himself. He had to go into a nursing home because he had to be lifted, he had a stroke because he couldn't mentally accept his condition, his mind was a sharp as a tack but his body too far gone to build back. It took him 5 years to die. I hope I have the will to keep strong, got a FitBit to track my steps & sleep, RV to keep me on the move and a busy life keeping up with 3 kids, 7 grands & as of yesterday, 5 great grands.

More than you wanted to know.... I do appreciate your advice and suggestions in here, I'll try to tone it down. Trying to explain why I do things is hard to do in a few words (okay, an excuse!)
Old 07-28-2016, 03:20 PM   #110

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Bob, I didn't have a choice about leaving my RV. When the jacks got stuck down in my driveway 2 of the mechanics came to free them. Messy deal when they let all the fluid out on the driveway. One of the guys drove it back to their shop. When they brought it back days later, I asked that driver to put the jacks down before he left (had another driver to pick him up). Jacks stuck again but my son was there & had learned how to free the jacks with a release near the steps. They took it back again.

I was really upset with having someone drive my unit back to the factory (nearly 1,000 miles one way) and brought it back a month later... both drivers pulled their cars with it. Totally against my better judgement but what choices did I have? I am learning patience and learning to give up my "set" ways, but it is a struggle, I am a very opinionated old lady. When my husband was alive nobody bullied him, I don't look so tough.

My unit is disabled to the point right now I am debating whether to take city streets across town when the Ford dealer gets the valve stems in, or if it is safe & won't split the inside dual tires if I take the highway across. At more than $200 for each tire, I would rather not ruin any more. As soon as I can get the tires taken care of (and extenders added) I plan to head to the mountains again. I want to travel known roads so I know places to stop. Hate to admit but I don't trust heading out by myself like I did before, and I want to get over that feeling.

I've done everything I can to be independent, have auto club and conceal carry permit. My husband was glad I got that, he died only 5 months later, after I had 3 by-passes and a new aortic valve. It never entered his mind that I could die before he did and we (kids & I) think his heart just couldn't cope, his will gave out. He had years of congestive heart failure and lived a lot longer than his doctors believed possible, I mourned him when he couldn't do the things he wanted, he died at home in his own bed, like he wanted.

Life continually changes but we have to stay strong, my father was 95 when he died and he had nothing wrong with him except he decided to sit after my mother died. His muscles shriveled up, his bones got soft and he reached a stage where he couldn't take care of himself. He had to go into a nursing home because he had to be lifted, he had a stroke because he couldn't mentally accept his condition, his mind was a sharp as a tack but his body too far gone to build back. It took him 5 years to die. I hope I have the will to keep strong, got a FitBit to track my steps & sleep, RV to keep me on the move and a busy life keeping up with 3 kids, 7 grands & as of yesterday, 5 great grands.

More than you wanted to know.... I do appreciate your advice and suggestions in here, I'll try to tone it down. Trying to explain why I do things is hard to do in a few words (okay, an excuse!)
Mountainbird,
You sound like someone that is trying to make every day count as they say. Good for you!
Old 07-28-2016, 03:42 PM   #111

THOR #4032
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikensallyt View Post
OMG. Spend close to 200k for what I consider excellent craftsmanship and I read all these problems. Wow. Dealership warranty repair and the waiting time. Unspeakable. I've always wanted a coach and now that I can afford it and paid for it, I read all these problems. Say it aint so. /Mikey
Yea Chief, it ain't so....except when it is...
Old 07-29-2016, 02:13 AM   #112

THOR #4709
Mikey, tonight I'd do it all over again and hope for the best. Maybe I wouldn't have paid in full if I hadn't been going out of town 2 days later, but wanted all the paperwork taken care of before. They already had my little Rialta and it was gone by the time I got back a week later so not sure there was any chance to back out for me. Guess we just have to rebuild as we go along.

If anyone has a slide out pantry like the 28F, got a good/simple fix for it slamming back & forth, and those guys that worked on it had a better idea for the bedroom doors that wouldn't stay in place. Doors were my main reason for picking this model. The same guys noticed the awning lifted away from the body in front when working on something else, we called Thor right then & sent photos... & Thor agreed to have them take the microwave out to put nuts & bolts through the whole body to anchor it down. Was lucky for me they saw it, could easily have flown off onto a car behind.

My original reason for coming here was to see if these dual tires have been a problem for everyone. Nobody has said they've had to replace theirs, but I would still like to know why Thor put 3 rubber valve stems on this unit if not all that they built. Since it was out of my hands so many times, including back to the factory, guess anyone could have done it? I am more at peace about buying it since finding the help in here.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:57 PM   #113

THOR #4709
Axis Earl, thank you, at my age I'd better make every day count! All those years raising kids and meals on the table 3 times a day, always asked what everyone else wanted to eat or do, so now it's just me and an RV trying to spoil my fun! Life is good, it just changes and we better enjoy whatever we have.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:16 PM   #114

THOR #4032
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianh442 View Post
Sorry to hear you've purchased a Thor product!! Take a look at this thread, there seems to be a problem with Thor quality control!

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f17...4-2-a-408.html
Sorry Brian, but I don't think your post is appropriate. I know you have had problems but that doesn't mean we all feel the way you do. Nor do I feel you should go on a crusade to try to get others to take your point of view.
Old 08-02-2016, 08:30 PM   #115

Model: Miramar 33.5
THOR #578
Quote:
Sorry Brian, but I don't think your post is appropriate. I know you have had problems but that doesn't mean we all feel the way you do. Nor do I feel you should go on a crusade to try to get others to take your point of view.
Sorry for you Bob,

Last check this is a forum for owners of Thor products?? On this site I've found you get the good, the bad and the ugly!! As the owner of a Thor product, I've shared with others my experience. How is it that sharing MY experience is "not appropriate " in your words for this forum?? I did not use inappropriate language, I did not post anything that was untrue. It appears I posted something YOU didn't like or that you didn't agree with!

Bob, it appears you've taken offense to my post that the quality control at Thor is or was at that time poor? Do you know the specifics of the Thor RV I owned at that time?? Clearly you don't, unless you are somehow in "THE KNOW" or you are an agent of Thor?? Are you??

By posting a link to my previous posts describing MY experience with MY Thor coach, I was able to explain why I felt the way I did, I didn't just blurt out a blanket statement without anything to back it up. Maybe YOU didn't read my previous posts, explaining the condition my coach was in, how it was in the shop for major repairs for almost 5 months the first year we owned it.

It appears that Thor had some quality control issues back in 2013-2014, as evident by the number of complaints not only on this forum, but other forums on the web as well. Maybe the complaining and visibility brought to bear on the web led to some positive changes at Thor as far as their QC goes, we will probably never know. I will admit the quality on my replacemnt coach is much better then my previous one!

It sounds like you've had an overall good experience with your Thor product, good for you. I don't think it's APPROPRIATE for you to question my statements about my experience, especially if I didn't use inappropriate language or made untrue or false statements!

I believe there is a function on this site called the block feature, why don't you use it to block posts from me, so you won't have to be offended by my posts or read anything else I write here.

Last check, this is the United States of America and for now, we still have a document called the constitution; the first Amendment to the constitution guarantees the right to free speech. I'll go back to what I said earlier, I stated MY opinion, based on MY experience with Thor, nothing more, nothing less!! Had I used inappropriate language, then I would think you have a right to call me out, I didn't do that, it's clear you didn't like my message, OH WELL!!!!
Old 08-02-2016, 09:43 PM   #116

THOR #4032
Sorry to hear you've purchased a Thor product!!

The above quote is what I think is inappropriate. You are bashing the brand.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:22 PM   #117

Model: Miramar 33.5
THOR #578
Quote:
The above quote is what I think is appropriate. You are bashing the brand.
Oh, so now you think it's appropriate!?!? Then you say I'm bashing the brand? How is stating my opinion that "I'm sorry you purchased a Thor product" bashing the brand?

again, that's my opinion! In your opinion I'm on a crusade, in my opinion I'm simply sharing my consumer experience with other Thor owners and potential Thor owners.

Well Mr Bob, I guess we have a difference of opinions, again; you should explore the block feature on this site. If they have it, I urge you to block me and anybody else who, as you say, "bash the brand", or say things YOU disagree with. That way you won't have to read what others whom you disagree with are saying. In other parts of the world and in some political circles, that's called sensorship and that runs counter to that pesky 1st amendment thing we cherish in this country!!

Good day Sir
Old 08-02-2016, 10:24 PM   #118
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
All right this has gone far enough, if it keeps up I will be forced to close this thread out
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 12:13 AM   #119

Brand: Still Looking
State: Florida
THOR #4726
Quality control

We really were ready to get a 24.3. Then got worried about quality and the unit being in the shop. So we started looking at Winnebagos Via. Same unhappy owners. Not sure which way to go. Buy a towable so at least I can drive away from it and not be stuck somewhere? Is there a blog showing reviews good and bad?
Like on Amazon.
Old 08-03-2016, 01:39 AM   #120
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by warfasts07 View Post
We really were ready to get a 24.3. Then got worried about quality and the unit being in the shop. So we started looking at Winnebagos Via. Same unhappy owners. Not sure which way to go. Buy a towable so at least I can drive away from it and not be stuck somewhere? Is there a blog showing reviews good and bad?
Like on Amazon.
Hi welcome to the forum !
Our Axis is our 4th rv .. 2 motorhomes and a toyhauler, previously.
We have had good experiences with all our rv's .
Keep in mind, most of the folks who come to a forum are having a problem and are looking for help or a solution.
There are thousands of rv owners who we never hear from.
Whatever you purchase, be sure to have a complete PDI (walk through) before purchase . Whether you purchase new or used.

Good luck in your search and feel free to ask questions !
Jeep Wrangler TJ