Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-24-2021, 08:54 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Arizona
THOR #22044
Parking on a slope

We have a 2017 Hurricane 34j class A and have a cement slab where I park it. It is on a slight decline that is noticeable…is this ok to store like this? Now…I do take it out on weekends when I am home for short 20 or so mile rides we will take it to dinner or movies just to keep the oil moving through it…I open the slide wall …run the generator…lower the levelers and lower the overcab drop down bed as well…usually just pull into a large parking lot and do it there! Then drive home so it sits on the incline for a week then gets taken out….thoughts?

Old 10-24-2021, 09:33 PM   #2

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
No problem. If you run an absorption fridge you need to be within +/- 3 degrees, but it sounds like you are less than that and don't run the fridge anyway.

David
Old 10-24-2021, 09:46 PM   #3

THOR #22044
Fridge is electric residential don’t know what absorption fridge is
Old 10-24-2021, 09:47 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by inlyzbldcj View Post
We have a 2017 Hurricane 34j class A and have a cement slab where I park it. It is on a slight decline that is noticeable…is this ok to store like this? Now…I do take it out on weekends when I am home for short 20 or so mile rides we will take it to dinner or movies just to keep the oil moving through it…I open the slide wall …run the generator…lower the levelers and lower the overcab drop down bed as well…usually just pull into a large parking lot and do it there! Then drive home so it sits on the incline for a week then gets taken out….thoughts?
My RV parking spot at the Village has a 0.2% slope to the left side and 0.3% to the rear. I normally park with the slides in, on the tires and just the vent fan on. Just before we travel, I put the coach on jacks, start the RV fridge, put the bedroom slide out and turn the front A/C on. The outside kitchen fridge keeps the beer cold year round as my spot has a 50 amp pedestal. If we haven't gone anywhere for a month, I take the coach out for a drive, running the generator, usually a 66 mile round trip to Hondo. I keep the gas full and topped off with blue Sta-bil. I consider any trip less than 50 miles as insufficient to warm up the coach. It is nice to live just 1/3 mile off US-90 (speed limit 70 mph). We seldom need heat. (It is 87 degrees outside as I write this -Oct 24). I did run the furnace for a couple of mornings earlier this month when we were up at Fredericksburg to watch the bats at Old Tunnel SP and have supper at the Alamo Springs Cafe.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 10:04 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
What you're doing is perfectly fine...
Old 10-24-2021, 10:31 PM   #6
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
Quote:
Absorption fridge is a gas/electric fridge. I would not ever have another one. Some people like them, but if the door seals start to go, you cannot replace them and have to get a new fridge. One of several reasons I traded my fifth wheel in and got a class A with a residential.
Old 10-24-2021, 10:52 PM   #7

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:

Absorption refrigerator is the classic camping fridge. Very simple in design and economical to operate. Pretty much the only moving part is the gas valve. They are just a bit finicky but they do a great job and use very little battery power or propane. Residential fridges are very popular but I wouldn’t have one in my coach if someone gave it to me!
Old 10-24-2021, 11:51 PM   #8

THOR #22044
Thx everyone

Currently I am parking it on a set of homemade 3 steps of 2” x 12” by 6” tall…boards but am getting tired of having to have my wife or son guide me on to the steps…so just wanted to check with some experienced RVers we are new as of last Jan! Thx again everyone!!!
Old 10-25-2021, 12:36 AM   #9
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLP View Post
Absorption fridge is a gas/electric fridge. I would not ever have another one. Some people like them, but if the door seals start to go, you cannot replace them and have to get a new fridge. One of several reasons I traded my fifth wheel in and got a class A with a residential.
Really? Someone needs to call Amazon and update them:

https://www.amazon.com/NORCOLD-INC-6.../dp/B00T36UM96

Even if there was a model that did not have replacement door seals you can always buy a whole new door that comes with..............new door seals.

No need to replace the fridge.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote