Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-27-2022, 02:00 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 Château 24F
State: Texas
THOR #28735
2018 Château Water Pump Froze?

During the recent deep freeze, I think our water pump froze. We were leaving for a trip Friday morning, so I filled up the fresh water tank Thursday and purged all the lines of air knowing that we wouldn’t be able to use city water due to the freezing conditions We had a space heater running, but forgot to open the door to the cabinet that the pump is located in. When we got to our destination, no water. Pump ran, but never pressured up, and nothing from the faucets. We have since warmed up, everything is thawed, but still no water even though the pump is running. Still won’t pressure up and continues to run continuously. Time for a new pump, or am I missing something?

Old 12-27-2022, 03:19 AM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Were you "de-winterized" when you added the water? In other words: are all the valves in their proper position? Especially the supply valve from the tank to the pump?

Have you opened up some cold water faucets as you ran the pump to puge air from it and allow it to prime?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 03:37 AM   #3

THOR #28735
Yes, the day before the freeze, I filled up the fresh water tank and ran water through the faucets, toilet and shower in preparation for dry camping apart from city water because I don’t have a heated water hose and also expected the RV Park for the first night and the hose bib for the next two nights at my daughter’s house would be frozen. All was working fine before the freeze. In our part of Texas, we seldom use antifreeze, we just drain everything and leave faucets open.
Old 12-27-2022, 03:58 AM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
How do you know everything is/was thawed?

Have you disconnected the line from FW tank @the pump to prove water is flowing, and if so; have you disconnected the output side of pump to see if water comes out?

Yesterday, I brought my 100ft water hose inside and set it next to the fireplace for two hours. I then connected it to kitchen sink to fill my pool with water, but NOTHING came out. It was 55 degrees outside, but hose was still frozen inside the lines despite the heat from fire for 2 hours. I finally disconnected 50ft of the hose and got water to slowly come through.

You may still have frozen line on your supply.

FWIW, that is pretty bold move to de-winterize because you know it was going to be frozen at your destinations. Thus far if I know it will be below freezing on a trip, I actually winterize for the trip. i.e. I made two trips to Colorado in the winter and was winterized both times. The parks not only tell you to disconnect the water hoses in favor of some special covers they had for the fixtures, they close the dump stations.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 04:24 AM   #5

THOR #28735
Opened up the cabinet where fresh water tank and pump are located Friday afternoon. Rn space heater directly into the cabinet and fired up the furnace. Furnace ductwork runs directly over the pump. Rn both the whole weekend. Hooked up to city water this morning and everything was good, but pump still won’t pressure up and no water at the faucets. Had no choice for de-winterizing because we knew we couldn’t count on city water due to freezing conditions. We’re in Texas where “winterizing” typically means just draining everything and leaving faucets open. Freezing weather like this is very uncommon, and holiday travel required for us to de-winterize in order to visit family. Comparable to Northerners coming to Texas in summer with an RV with inadequate or no air conditioning I guess.
Old 12-27-2022, 04:46 AM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTrooper View Post
Opened up the cabinet where fresh water tank and pump are located Friday afternoon. Rn space heater directly into the cabinet and fired up the furnace. Furnace ductwork runs directly over the pump. Rn both the whole weekend. Hooked up to city water this morning and everything was good, but pump still won’t pressure up and no water at the faucets. Had no choice for de-winterizing because we knew we couldn’t count on city water due to freezing conditions. We’re in Texas where “winterizing” typically means just draining everything and leaving faucets open. Freezing weather like this is very uncommon, and holiday travel required for us to de-winterize in order to visit family. Comparable to Northerners coming to Texas in summer with an RV with inadequate or no air conditioning I guess.
Got it, that explains how you know supply line is NOT Frozen.

I am in Texas too, draining and blow out is all I do no matter where I go when temps expect to reach the teens. You should be able to live full time and have water with all that you state running. I was just saying that it is a bold thing to do, because things happen, i.e. what if you run out of propane or furnace quits. When we travel winterize, we just plan to use public restrooms and shower at our destination. It just stress free and one less worry, but you should be able to do what you planned. Might be good idea to buy a spare water pump to have on board for future to eliminate concern.

We plan to de winterize tomorrow. It will get to 25 tonight, but after that; there are no freezing temperatures in the North Texas forecast the rest of the winter.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 11:56 AM   #7

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Do you have a valve in your wet bay that directs where water flow comes from? If the pump is running you should get water. Did you bypass the water heater when you winterized and maybe still have a bypass valve closed?Drain the tank, Replace the pump, fill tank and try again.