Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-29-2022, 01:13 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Ohio
THOR #25799
On demand hot water heater

I have a 22 four winds 31w class c It takes having to run the water a long time to get hot water to the kitchen sink In Fla now and temps morning and night cold Therefore water coming in to coach is cold Could that be why water takes so long to get hot Would heated water hose help Thx

Old 12-29-2022, 02:03 AM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Nature of the beast. That’s why Seneca peers installed a water circulation system to get the water warm before it is needed.
Old 12-29-2022, 02:04 AM   #3

State: Nevada
THOR #12329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo4 View Post
I have a 22 four winds 31w class c It takes having to run the water a long time to get hot water to the kitchen sink In Fla now and temps morning and night cold Therefore water coming in to coach is cold Could that be why water takes so long to get hot Would heated water hose help Thx
I learned this the hard way,... when taking a shower, you can't turn the water off,... or it comes out freezing again... they seem to waist a lot of water because they always have cold water in the lines.... the way I used to do it was always use the hot side so you don't have to run the water so long to get hot water, and when shoewering,.. get wet soap up and turn the water back on to rinse.... the on demands shut the heat off when you shut off the water , so when you turn it back on cold water comes out....freezing cold water...
Old 12-29-2022, 11:45 AM   #4

Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo4 View Post
You need to run the hot water only and leave it running while you take a shower. Also, if you have the temperature set very low you may have the same issue because the water heater control may shut off the heat in an attempt to keep the temp at your low setpoint. It is best to have the temp around 100 to 110 degrees and mix in a little cold if that is to hot for a comfortable shower. I know that sounds like a waste of water but that is the nature of an on-demand water heater. They are not very compatible to a Navy shower or dry camping without hookups.
Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 12:00 PM   #5

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
As noted it is the nature of the beast. Make sure you turn the hot water off quickly to minimize the slug of hot cold water if you turn back on. I just leave it on all of the time and yes that wastes some water.

FWIW, circulating hot water systems won’t work with on demand hot water.

The Girard on demand hot water heater is one of the two love/hate relationships I have with my 2021 Axis. The other is the BMPro display/controller.

David
Old 12-29-2022, 01:21 PM   #6

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Water Flow is critical for proper operation of the Girard. First, you need adequate pressure. If you have a regulator installed on the City Water outlet (as you should) you need 50PSI +/- 5PSI. If the campground has low pressure, there is nothing you can do except use your fresh water tank for showers.

Next, you should remove all of your strainers / screen / flow restrictors from every faucet (including the shower head) and clean them. Often there is construction debris in the water lines that will build up on the screens and slow flow. remove them all and then run the water to clear the lines before reinstalling them.

Finally, when ground water temps are cold to very cold, you may have to adjust the flow valve on the back of the unit to slightly slow the flow so the water stays in the heat exchanger longer.
Old 12-29-2022, 02:12 PM   #7
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post

FWIW, circulating hot water systems won’t work with on demand hot water.

David
Yes they do. The water is circulated through the system and then instead of coming out a faucet it is dumped back into the fresh water tank so it is not wasted, especially when boondocking.

The Seneca folks didn’t use some POS off the shelf system, the designed and installed their own.

But, then again, nobody except the self proclaimed Thor experts know anything.

Here is a link to include YouTube video from someone who has done this.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ion-67344.html
Old 12-29-2022, 04:01 PM   #8

THOR #20289
Well, yes they can work but it means that the hot water flow would have to be wide open, not a small low volume circulating pump. Maybe set it up for a minute or two on and 5-10 minutes off.

David
Old 12-29-2022, 04:16 PM   #9
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Well, yes they can work but it means that the hot water flow would have to be wide open, not a small low volume circulating pump. Maybe set it up for a minute or two on and 5-10 minutes off.

David
The systems don't use a recirculating pump like a home "always hot" system does. They just return cold water to the onboard tank until the water to the shower is hot.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 04:38 PM   #10

Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
An alternative that I use is a 2 gallon food grade bucket and recapture the cold shower water until it gets hot. From there I either wash my dishes with the tepid water or boil and store it to make coffee in the morning/refill water bottles. In the water/propane balance equation I run out of water far faster than propane - buys me 2 more days off the grid.
Old 12-29-2022, 05:24 PM   #11

Model: Chateau 24F
THOR #16721
Recent video reviews of new motorhomes show a trend to returning to tank water heaters. Tankless has a certain appeal for some, but for our camping style it would definitely be a headache. Like the touch panel controls, they're fun... until they stop working.
Old 12-29-2022, 05:30 PM   #12
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Recent video reviews of new motorhomes show a trend to returning to tank water heaters. Tankless has a certain appeal for some, but for our camping style it would definitely be a headache. Like the touch panel controls, they're fun... until they stop working.
Exactly! What value does that fancy touchscreen/bluetooth/app really bring to using the RV? I'll settle for independent switch controls any day.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 06:09 PM   #13

THOR #20289
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Exactly! What value does that fancy touchscreen/bluetooth/app really bring to using the RV? I'll settle for independent switch controls any day.
First let me apologize for hijacking this thread:

The fancy BMPro touchscreen device and separate Node does save a lot of wiring and switches. My Axis has just 7 device switches- four in the bedroom, two in the head and one on the dash. Everything else is controlled by the BMPro- lights, generator start/stop and AGS, slides, A/C and furnace thermostat. To do this witch switches and other devices would take a bunch of switches, a thermostat, an AGS, etc. The BMPro does it all.

With the BMPro, a couple of 15A circuits provide power to the Node which controls everything. The wire to the device goes directly to the device, not to a switch nearby on the wall and then to the device. That saves a bunch of wiring and a bunch of switches and other devices.

But all in all, I am with you- give me simple switches.

David
Old 12-29-2022, 06:11 PM   #14
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:

David
Most use an electronic valve on the hot water side and use the rig’s water pump to dump cold water in the hot water lines into the fresh water tank which in turn fires up the hour water heater. Depending on who did the setup their system is operated by timer or on/off switch. These are not out of the box mass produced recirculating systems. They are RV owner engineered and installed systems done by some pretty smart people.
Old 12-29-2022, 06:21 PM   #15

THOR #16721
In a residential setting I understand the intent of thankless... endless hot water and only heated when it's needed.

That's great in an RV too when you have an endless supply of water. But what happens when you don't? Seems the trade-offs outweigh the benefits when you only have 40 gallons of water and a 6 gallon water heater.
Old 12-29-2022, 06:38 PM   #16
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
In a residential setting I understand the intent of thankless... endless hot water and only heated when it's needed.

That's great in an RV too when you have an endless supply of water. But what happens when you don't? Seems the trade-offs outweigh the benefits when you only have 40 gallons of water and a 6 gallon water heater.
You might try reading the thread. Talking about

Tankless water heater taking too long to heat water
Water waste while waiting for hot water
Recirculating back to fresh water tank to minimize wasted water not yet hot.
Old 12-29-2022, 09:13 PM   #17

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
You might try reading the thread. Talking about

Tankless water heater taking too long to heat water
Water waste while waiting for hot water
Recirculating back to fresh water tank to minimize wasted water not yet hot.
Yep I've heard all that. So... with a tankless requiring fairly robust water flow, how to control water use when the faucet must be fully open? For those with full hookups, how would dumping unheated water into the fresh tank work? What happens when the tank is full?

Our situation may be unique, but we've never had an issue with lack of hot water from our 6 gallon tank. Granted, it's NOT endless, AND we take navy showers. My plan is to eventually install a recirculation setup, which solves the cold water issue.

So what am I missing? What is the major benefit of an RV tankless water heater... with someone doing a mix of boondocking and campgrounds with hookups?
Old 12-29-2022, 09:53 PM   #18

THOR #20289
Quote:
So what am I missing? What is the major benefit of an RV tankless water heater... with someone doing a mix of boondocking and campgrounds with hookups?
Advantages:

If the propane or power supply has been off you don’t have to wait 20 minutes to get hot water.

No bypass valves are required for winterization.

No corrosion protection anode.

Disadvantages:

You can’t easily adjust water temp while showering.

Hot water valve must always be wide open when using.

Can’t turn hot water off without getting a slug of cold water when you turn it back on.

AFAIAC the pluses and minuses are about equal, maybe favoring the pluses.

David
Old 12-30-2022, 01:01 AM   #19

Model: challenger 37FH
State: Delaware
THOR #13399
Aqua View Showermiser : part # SMB001 - $59.95. Google it. 4hrs 30ft pex pipe and a couple shark bite fittings.

Now you can take navy showers.
No wasting water or filling grey tank when boondocking.
You can fill fresh water tank when hooked to city water by flipping the valve with out going outside.

PS if low water pressure in campground just turn on your water pump it will boost pressure enough for hot water.

LETS NOT MAKE THIS MORE COMPLICATED THAN IT REALLY IS.
Old 12-31-2022, 12:12 PM   #20

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Quote:

I have a 60 Gallon Fresh and 40 Gallon Holding Tanks I have boondocked 4 days with my Girard tankless. Took showers and washed dishes as we normally do on city water. When you are using the onboard pump, the tankless well.