Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-23-2022, 09:57 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #6965
Freezing weather - no water in bathroom

I have a heated hose and have water to kitchen sink. I had water to bathroom earlier but do not have running water now. What should i do?

Old 12-23-2022, 10:52 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Is the heat on in your RV?

What Year/Make/Model RV are we talking about?

Learn plumbing repair??
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 10:57 PM   #3

THOR #6965
2015 Four Winds 31e
Heater is on currently
Old 12-23-2022, 11:17 PM   #4

THOR #6965
2015 Four Winds 31e
Heater is on currently

The heated hose is hooked up to city water inlet. I did not fill outer tank because i figured it would freeze sooner. I did turn on pump and got small amount of water to toilet and sink, which i figured was residual in tank.
Old 12-23-2022, 11:41 PM   #5

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
If you are using City water and no water in the holding tank, the pump will not help. Make sure your water diverter valve in the exterior wet bay is turned to the City/Dry Camp position for water to flow through the lines by passing the pump and tank.

Paul
Old 12-23-2022, 11:48 PM   #6

THOR #6965
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
If you are using City water and no water in the holding tank, the pump will not help. Make sure your water diverter valve in the exterior wet bay is turned to the City/Dry Camp position for water to flow through the lines by passing the pump and tank.

Paul
All was working well earlier, but the temp is now around 8 deg. I still have hot and cold water to the kitchen sink, but water is not flowing to bathroom toilet, sink, or shower. I have the bathroom sink faucets open at this time and just hope there is no damage from freezing. Do you know if i should leave faucets on, or does it matter?
Old 12-24-2022, 12:17 AM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
You need to get your plumbing diagram and post a picture.

I would think the plumbing for what you mentioned start from under the sink with a T that goes to other items. But it would be odd that it ran outside or where it could freeze unless you are missing telling us something?

Heated hose outside is irrelevant to temperature inside the RV and around the RV when it is otherwise 8 degrees.

I would turn on furnace to really heat up the coach and put a ceramic heater pointed to under sink with all lower cabinets open.

Since you on city water there is no harm with faucets remaining open unless one of them require a pump to drain?

Get a diagram, but it may be too late if you have not already done?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 12:27 AM   #8

Model: 31y
State: South Carolina
THOR #21394
Find the diagram on line to find out where that water line splits from the main.
If not possible, get out the screw driver and start looking under the bed, cabinets, and seats.
I looked at your floodplan online and it's similar to mine (a 2020 31y).
I'm guessing your problem is under the fridge.
If there is a slotted or solid wood piece to unscrew there, open up that area and crank up the heat.
Worst case, open up everything low in your camper, and crank up the heat.
Act fast and you might be able to avoid damage.
If you find the area, try a hairdryer to start with and crank up the heat.
Good luck and keep us informed in the morning.
Old 12-24-2022, 12:46 AM   #9

THOR #6965
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
You need to get your plumbing diagram and post a picture.

I would think the plumbing for what you mentioned start from under the sink with a T that goes to other items. But it would be odd that it ran outside or where it could freeze unless you are missing telling us something?

Heated hose outside is irrelevant to temperature inside the RV and around the RV when it is otherwise 8 degrees.

I would turn on furnace to really heat up the coach and put a ceramic heater pointed to under sink with all lower cabinets open.

Since you on city water there is no harm with faucets remaining open unless one of them require a pump to drain?

Get a diagram, but it may be too late if you have not already done?
I have been looking at diagrams and reading owner info / knowledge base. Am having issue cutting and pasting diag. I have turned up thermostat and have cabinets open
Old 12-24-2022, 12:49 AM   #10

THOR #6965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Find the diagram on line to find out where that water line splits from the main.
If not possible, get out the screw driver and start looking under the bed, cabinets, and seats.
I looked at your floodplan online and it's similar to mine (a 2020 31y).
I'm guessing your problem is under the fridge.
If there is a slotted or solid wood piece to unscrew there, open up that area and crank up the heat.
Worst case, open up everything low in your camper, and crank up the heat.
Act fast and you might be able to avoid damage.
If you find the area, try a hairdryer to start with and crank up the heat.
Good luck and keep us informed in the morning.
Will look under fridge as suggested, thanks. Have checked under bed, etc
Old 12-24-2022, 05:20 AM   #11

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhowiepa View Post
I have a heated hose and have water to kitchen sink. I had water to bathroom earlier but do not have running water now. What should i do?
Generally when the kitchen sink is on one side of the coach and the bathroom on the other, the transfer PEX runs under the floor from one side to the other. Mine is in a cavity in the top of the black water tank. Even with the furnace on that area will freeze when the chill factor is about 20 F or below if not skirted. Yes, wind under the coach does affect how fast the pipes freeze.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 07:54 AM   #12

THOR #6965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Generally when the kitchen sink is on one side of the coach and the bathroom on the other, the transfer PEX runs under the floor from one side to the other. Mine is in a cavity in the top of the black water tank. Even with the furnace on that area will freeze when the chill factor is about 20 F or below if not skirted. Yes, wind under the coach does affect how fast the pipes freeze.
Believe this might be the issue. I started putting skirting material on back and bathroom side, but did not have enough material to finish before low temps. I have removed water source completely as it was slowing and am praying that there won’t be permanent damage. Thanks for all the help.
Old 12-24-2022, 04:09 PM   #13

Model: 2022 Axis 24.1
State: Kansas
THOR #24565
Pex is somewhat forgiving of freezing and may not burst.
If you do have to do repair the Pex cinch type connector can get into smaller areas than the crimp ring type. That makes more repairs a little easier to do.
Old 12-24-2022, 09:40 PM   #14

THOR #6965
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy View Post
If you do have to do repair the Pex cinch type connector can get into smaller areas than the crimp ring type. That makes more repairs a little easier to do.
Good news, thanks for suggestion
Old 12-25-2022, 07:16 PM   #15

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I’d just crank up the heat a bit and open the cabinets under the sink and hope for the best. As mentioned above PEX is pretty forgiving but some of the fittings and fixtures are not. Leave the faucet open so you’ll know when it thaws and then look closely for leaks.
Old 12-26-2022, 04:18 AM   #16

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy View Post
PEX is not usually a problem in freezing weather, it the the plastic couplings, tees and elbows.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 09:32 PM   #17

State: British Columbia
THOR #9668
Wait for Spring
Old 12-30-2022, 12:28 AM   #18

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
THOR #2812
Use caution leaving faucet open unattended. If water starts to flow it can quickly overfill your holding tanks and flood inside the RV.

Some RV's have heated tank compartments, others use heating pads on tanks. Usually the propane furnace will keep interior lines protected. Using an electric cube heater will not. Preparations vary depending on the system in your RV.
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 12:38 AM   #19

THOR #6965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan2 View Post
Use caution leaving faucet open unattended. If water starts to flow it can quickly overfill your holding tanks and flood inside the RV.

Some RV's have heated tank compartments, others use heating pads on tanks. Usually the propane furnace will keep interior lines protected. Using an electric cube heater will not. Preparations vary depending on the system in your RV.
I just wanted you and the others to know that, once the temp hit 2 degrees, i disconnected the water, left the heater on, and went south to VA. On my return and after the temp reached 50 deg, i reattached the water and all was well!!
Thank you all. What a great community. I do have heated tanks, which i left on along with the heater.
Old 12-30-2022, 12:40 AM   #20
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhowiepa View Post
I just wanted you and the others to know that, once the temp hit 2 degrees, i disconnected the water, left the heater on, and went south to VA. On my return and after the temp reached 50 deg, i reattached the water and all was well!!
Thank you all. What a great community. I do have heated tanks, which i left on along with the heater.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote