Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-29-2021, 12:37 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Omni XG32
State: Idaho
THOR #23824
Drawers and cupboards coming open while driving

Took my 2022 Omni out for the maiden trip and found that the drawers and the under stove cabinet keeps coming open while driving.
How do you keep your drawers and cabinet closed while driving. I think I can add some hooks to keep the under sink drawer from pushing that cabinet open. But what are suggestions for keeping the drawers close.
I have never had this problem with my pickup campers or fifth wheels

2019 Mirage Side-by-side Cargo trailer
1995 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 Spyder
ksroskel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 12:45 AM   #2

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksroskel View Post
Took my 2022 Omni out for the maiden trip and found that the drawers and the under stove cabinet keeps coming open while driving.
How do you keep your drawers and cabinet closed while driving. I think I can add some hooks to keep the under sink drawer from pushing that cabinet open. But what are suggestions for keeping the drawers close.
I have never had this problem with my pickup campers or fifth wheels
I suspect the plastic latch on the bottom of the drawer is broken.

Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 01:02 AM   #3

State: California
THOR #21377
The latch may not be broken, on several of mine I simply needed to pull out the drawer and adjust the latch position
Old 06-29-2021, 01:10 AM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
In the meantime: a short piece of tape should suffice...
Old 06-29-2021, 01:21 AM   #5
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Does the Omni have the drawer locks on the glides like the Challenger? If so there is an adjustment on the front of the glide. Can’t remember exactly how it is done.
Old 06-29-2021, 02:26 AM   #6

THOR #23824
Now that I am back home I will look for latches on the drawers and see if they can be adjusted.
My quick fix was a wood yard stick down all the drawer handles
Old 06-29-2021, 03:52 AM   #7

Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
The big slide out drawer under the stove top should have a tach on the front of it. The other drawers have a plastic latch at the back of the drawers that may be out of adjustment or broke, you will have to remove the drawer to get to the latch.
Old 06-29-2021, 06:24 AM   #8

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Now that I am back home I will look for latches on the drawers and see if they can be adjusted.
My quick fix was a wood yard stick down all the drawer handles
I am gonna make assumption to answer your question assuming your latches turn out to be okay.

Check the weight added to the drawers that open. If empty and they open you have a real problem. Report it to the dealer right away but keep working to fix.

Weigh the contents of each of the drawer that opens and then re-ask question of how much weight can others add to their drawers? I had one to open. I had a broken latch caused from my stuffing every possible tool I could in that drawer. The latch was not physically broken but the weight forced the tiny tiny screws out of the wood. I put in some wood filler and next day screwed it back in and it has not opened since. But I did leave out the hammer, tape measurer, calipers, impact socket set, screwdriver set, kitchen sink etc. as you get the idea
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 12:19 PM   #9

THOR #23824
kwplot34, What do you mean by a tach on the front of the big drawer under the stove top?
dkoldman, I do have a lot in the drawer but no more than I would think is normal. Just a set of silverware in one drawer and cooking utensils in the other. I would think that is normal for the drawers
Old 06-30-2021, 03:15 AM   #10

THOR #4243
Quote:
kwplot34, What do you mean by a tach on the front of the big drawer under the stove top?
dkoldman, I do have a lot in the drawer but no more than I would think is normal. Just a set of silverware in one drawer and cooking utensils in the other. I would think that is normal for the drawers
Sorry that should of been Latch.
Old 06-30-2021, 03:32 AM   #11

THOR #23824
No latches on the drawer itself under the stove. The cupboards doors have latches but they are not strong enough to hold the drawer from sliding out especially with pots and pans in the drawer.
Old 06-30-2021, 05:55 AM   #12

THOR #4243
Quote:
No latches on the drawer itself under the stove. The cupboards doors have latches but they are not strong enough to hold the drawer from sliding out especially with pots and pans in the drawer.
Our XG 32 has a sliding latch on that drawer to keep it from sliding out, the DW keeps all the pots and pans in that drawer. The latch is on the front of that drawer in the center. You could pick one up at the hardware store or lumber yard pretty cheap would solve the issue of it sliding open.
Old 06-30-2021, 11:36 AM   #13

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
This is one of those fixes I would rather do myself than let some rookie tech at a dealer do. Y catches are all at the back of the drawer. It’s spring loaded. On one drawer, the factory completely missed the alignment. I had to realign. Problem solved. N the big drawer under the dinette, the factory installed off center. One wrong shove and it missed the ptoper alignment and bent the catch. Again, I replaced with a new catch from Amazon. I then proceeded to take all the rest of the drawers out to check the alignment of catches. Same for pantry and closets. A package of 10 new catches was $6 on Amazon. I’ll probably need them in the future.
Old 07-01-2021, 03:55 AM   #14

Model: Damon Daybreak
State: New Mexico
THOR #19133
https://www.wwhardware.com//kv-8400-...ure-kv8400-brv

These worked well for me to keep the drawers closed, even with pans
Old 07-01-2021, 06:32 AM   #15

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryS View Post
https://www.wwhardware.com//kv-8400-...ure-kv8400-brv

These worked well for me to keep the drawers closed, even with pans
Liked bringing the science in, rated for 100 pounds. There is also centrifugal or vertical forces bases on how you drive. Suspect those lateral forces are different (greater) for an RV than a travel trailer. I would not be surprised if those factory latch closures were only rated for 10 pounds? OP can easily test by putting some measure weight in a drawer and tilt the RV to see when it opens. You have to keep weight under current drawer's capability or go with new design. I only had issue with one drawer and it was a relatively small one at that I didn't weigh, but stuff I removed may have only been 5 pounds? It has worked perfectly since.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 11:36 AM   #16

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
I had the same issue with my XG32 and solved it with a slide bolt latch. Mounted it to the inside of the framing on the left side with the loop part on the drawer. The weight of the drawer even empty, is more than the for latches can handle. I found it odd that the wardrobe doors each have 2 latches and the kitchen doors under the stove only 1 each. My first though was to add a magnet latch but decided a positive slide latch was better option. It stays closed now.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Gatehouse-2...Bolts/50088770
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 06:10 PM   #17

Model: Thor Magnitude XG32 4x4,
State: Utah
THOR #19682
Child Locks

I had to put the sliding child locks that are about $2.50 each that you buy on Amazon or at a Walmart. These look like a paper clip, but have a slide latch that is easy to use.

The problem with the under sink cupboard is the slider that when it has about 3 inches of play and when you make a turn you can hear it moving. So when I turned left the slider that we have pots and pans hits the doors and it all comes open. The cupboard handles on the Magnitude/Omni can easily accommodate the cupboard safety locks. I think a lot of the child proof stuff will keep them from sliding.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/2pc-Dream...roof/352462578
Old 07-03-2021, 06:42 PM   #18

State: California
THOR #18499
For the pull out drawers I added a patio slider door latch (to the drawer) and a steel plate (to the cabinet base). Push down on the top and it kicks. Push on the the front of the latch and it unlocks.

Sorry picture is sideways
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200415_132754.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	31786  
Old 07-03-2021, 07:09 PM   #19

Model: Venetian J40
State: Michigan
THOR #3844
I had the same problem with my Venetian.
I first adjusted the slide catches. But that did not fix the problem
I then tried adding 15lbs Magnetic Door Catches to the draws. But that did not fix the problem.

Name:	Magnetic Door Catch.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	31788
I finally added Safety 1st Wide Grip Latches.

Name:	Safety 1st Wide Grip Latches.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	31789
Old 07-04-2021, 02:24 AM   #20

State: Tennessee
THOR #13533
Had the same problem. Purchased some heavy duty magnet latches online installed them with the originals and fixed that problem!