Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-01-2022, 08:23 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Omni XG32
State: Arizona
THOR #24995
Insulating the Moving Cabover Windshield Cover

I'm looking to insulate areas of the overcab bunk on our xg32 to cut down on the heat load and help improve overall cooling ability.
I'll be making a removable cover for the large window and plan the leave the motorized cover up permanently.
I intended to first put a reflexit type of insulation against the underside of the roof panel before repositioning the cover but observed that there is no clearance once the cover starts opening.
Has anyone found a way to drop that cover down to add some insulation in the cavity?

Old 08-02-2022, 08:12 PM   #2

Model: Omni XG32
State: Arizona
THOR #24995
I took some IR gun samples of the underside of the fiberglass front roof as the RV sat on my driveway in central AZ. Read 130d with the sun beating down. Ambient temp was upper 80's Also shot the front roof window through the fabric motorized cover. That was reading 118.
Definitely need to come up with a way to insulate the cavity created by the cover to get full benefit of insulating that bunk area.
Still hoping to learn from anyone that might have dropped that cover down.
Old 08-02-2022, 08:25 PM   #3

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
That was more than I wanted to get involved with but I can see those of you crazy enough to use your coaches in Arizona in the summer time need all the help you can get.
'
We only use the cab-over bunk for storage and we close the curtain and that retains most of the heat within the cab-over. Between the WeatherTech Full Cab Window Kit.... pulling the blinds down... putting the vent pillow in the fans and vents..... and the modifications I made to the A/C units, I can keep the coach in the 70's with ambient temps between 90 - 95 and high humidity levels with full sun.

You may want to reach out to KWPLOT who tore apart the entire cab-over of his XG32 to fix the notorious separating front cap issue. I don't think he insulated the front window shade but he beefed up the floor of the front cap and cab-over and added insulation. He may have pulled down the ceiling of the cap and insulated there but I can't remember.

He posted a very thorough thread on his repair and upgrades of his front cap ad cab-over.

Insulating the shade to help insulate the window might help but I can tell you there is no real insulation in the ceiling of the front cap.