Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-05-2021, 03:27 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
Posts: 6
THOR #22757
Power off?

So, recently picked up a 2020 Magnitude sv34. My question is although I switch off the main power switch I still have power going to the refrigerator light (fridge thermostat in off position) and the step goes in and out along with step light coming on as normal. How do I turn off all power so batteries arenít dead in a week ?

Thank you.

__________________
skywyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 03:59 AM   #2
Site Team
 
EA37TS's Avatar
 
Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
Posts: 8,771
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by skywyler View Post
So, recently picked up a 2020 Magnitude sv34. My question is although I switch off the main power switch I still have power going to the refrigerator light (fridge thermostat in off position) and the step goes in and out along with step light coming on as normal. How do I turn off all power so batteries aren’t dead in a week ?

Thank you.
Turn the power on the inverter off to kill the fridge. You might have to turn the inverter off on the inverter itself and not on the inverter’s remote panel. Steps will continue to work.
__________________
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 09:47 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
Posts: 1,422
THOR #15553
!st off, you need to tell us what Power you are talking about. 120 volt AC or 12 volts DC. Two different systems. The fridge control circuit is 12 volts DC. as is the light inside the fridge. The heater for the gas refrigeration is 120 volts AC or Propane. There is a main Battey disconnect (commonly miscalled a Salesman switch) That disconnects the 12-volt battery supply from the RV. (except for the stereo, CO and LP Detectors ). Most of the stuff is from the House batteries. The steps are usually controlled by the Chassis battery, It is not controlled by the battery disconnect.

https://www.technorv.com/articles/ho...Q63nbGg0ktkmuc
__________________
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 09:53 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
Posts: 1,422
THOR #15553
If you wish to totally disconnect the battery while in storage you need to install one of these.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bolt on bat disc.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	29603
__________________
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 09:57 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Judge's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
Posts: 4,154
THOR #12751
EA37TS is correct.....

The Inverter is connected directly to the house batteries and must be off to kill the power to the fridge. The Remote Panel must have the On / Off Button in the out position. The Panel should go dark when the Inverter is off. If it does not, you need to check the built-in panel on the Inveter itself. If the On / Off button is depressed (On), that over-rides the remote panel. The built-in panel must be Off for the Remote Panel to take control.

The steps are also wired directly to the house batteries on the SV34 so your steps will work but they do not draw power when not moving.

I added two additional batteries and cleaned up the wiring in the battery compartment by installing this Busbar.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also installed this battery switch so I could run on either battery bank, both banks or cut the 12v power to the coach completely since I wired the Inverter to one of the posts on the Busbar.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
__________________
Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 01:43 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
Posts: 4,884
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
If you wish to totally disconnect the battery while in storage you need to install one of these.



Attachment 29603


These disconnects are excellent. Simple, cheap and effective. But one word of caution - you need to check or clean the contacts every now and again. I had a problem with my slides not working properly that we traced to low voltage. But everything we checked showed 13V. After an exasperating search I discovered that this disconnect device had some corrosion that only interfered with high current flow. Everything but the slides was fine. Cleaned them up and everything worked fine again. I subsequently discarded the idea of preventing parasitic drain as a hopeless cause since batteries will self discharge even if disconnected. I installed a very simple and inexpensive 80W solar panel that keeps my chassis and my two house batteries fully topped up in storage. Itís one of the best additions Iíve made to my RV experience.
__________________
Pete'sMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 01:50 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
Posts: 22,195
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
If you wish to totally disconnect the battery while in storage you need to install one of these.
Attachment 29603
Cavie,
Where'd you get those disconnects from?
They look pretty slick!
__________________
"What: me worry?"
Good Sam Member 843599689
Current coach: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 02:06 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
Posts: 6
THOR #22757
I’d like to be able to kill all the power to the house AC and DC. I don’t see the benefit in having a very small amount of needless parasites draining the house and or chassis batteries. My old Class A Southwind had this capability except for the solar panel trickle into the house batteries. I guess an install of the above devices will do the trick.

Thank you!
__________________
skywyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 02:11 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Judge's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
Posts: 4,154
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
These disconnects are excellent. Simple, cheap and effective. But one word of caution - you need to check or clean the contacts every now and again. I had a problem with my slides not working properly that we traced to low voltage. But everything we checked showed 13V. After an exasperating search I discovered that this disconnect device had some corrosion that only interfered with high current flow. Everything but the slides was fine. Cleaned them up and everything worked fine again.

That is why I installed this type of switch. They are marine rated and heavy duty. They can get wet, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-04-05 at 10.10.01 AM.png
Views:	52
Size:	338.9 KB
ID:	29605  
__________________
Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 02:14 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Judge's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
Posts: 4,154
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by skywyler View Post
I’d like to be able to kill all the power to the house AC and DC. I don’t see the benefit in having a very small amount of needless parasites draining the house and or chassis batteries. My old Class A Southwind had this capability except for the solar panel trickle into the house batteries. I guess an install of the above device will do the trick.
Then you are going to need to do what I did if you want to be able to disconnect all 12V sources. You will want to purchase the 4-post Busbar and move the wiring around so the switch cuts off the Inverter and other 12V circuits completely from the house batteries.
__________________
Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 02:17 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
Posts: 6
THOR #22757
I’m sure this has been discussed ad nauseam else where but any recommendations on solar panels? MH boasts solar ready, although I have not yet looked for the wires on the roof to hook up the panels. TIA. ����
__________________
skywyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 02:29 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Judge's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
Posts: 4,154
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by skywyler View Post
I’m sure this has been discussed ad nauseam else where but any recommendations on solar panels? MH boasts solar ready, although I have not yet looked for the wires on the roof to hook up the panels. TIA. ����

The MC4 connectors to add panels are located on the roof by the ladder. I installed two flexible 160W Renogy panels. I have posted some pictures of my installation but there are many other options.

This link has some pictures of the installation I did on my SV34.

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8...els-21660.html
__________________
Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2