Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-13-2021, 08:05 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #24176
Propane/Co2 detector

My propane leak/Co2 detector located next to my fuse box chirps continually. I have had no luck in removing the cover. This is happening while my unit is parked in storage with nothing running and the propane tank turned off.

Old 07-13-2021, 10:37 AM   #2

Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreeves View Post
My propane leak/Co2 detector located next to my fuse box chirps continually. I have had no luck in removing the cover. This is happening while my unit is parked in storage with nothing running and the propane tank turned off.
You do not mention what year and model RV you have. You should put that information in your signature as it is often helpful when trying to answer a question.

We have a brand new 2022 Quantum JM31 with a Propane/Co2 combo detector under the dinette. As I write this it is currently disconnected. It has gone off twice now for no apparent reason but I am still accessing the situation and have not made up my mind if it is a bad detector or the detector is very sensitive. It could be related to the fact that both times it has gone off was while the RV was parked in our garage. We also park a pickup truck in the same garage and there might be residual fumes from the truck setting it off. The first time it went off the dog and I were in the motorhome and the sound was driving both of us crazy. I searched the front for a reset and did not find one. Also could not get the cover off. The connection was hard to access because it was behind a drawer in the bottom of the dinette. Finally removed the two screws and pulled the wires out and cut one. Once I got the darn thing shut up I pulled the drawer and reworked the wiring adding two connectors that could be pulled apart to turn the thing off.

The second time it went off we were again working in the RV so I took the screws out and pulled out the wires and disconnect the thing. That is were it sits now. Will be hooking it back up in the next few days before we take the rig camping. Since all this transpired I got a wiring diagram and information from Thor. There is a fuse in the DC fuse panel that is labeled for the detector but it has the Winegard Connect on the same fuse so pulling the fuse looses our internet connection.
Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 11:44 AM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: S.O.B.
State: Florida
THOR #14543
On a previous rig, mine did that when the house battery was weak. Plugged the coach in and the chirping stopped immediately.
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 06:50 PM   #4

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
My new Omni XG32 started it the next day after purchase. We were still local to the dealer so took it back and they replaced it. The things go bad and do have a short, few years, life expectancy.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 08:55 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Propane detector service live is 5 to 7 years. After that time, it will chirp periodically (about every 30 seconds) until it is replaced. When it detects a warning situation, it will sound for 1/2 second every two seconds. If it detects a critical situation it will wail continually. I have to unplug mine every time, I am rewiring something. I use a butane torch for soldering and shrink insulation. All refrigerants will set of the propane detectors as will most spray cans, as the propellant is usually propane.
Just so you know.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 09:15 PM   #6

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Batteries are low or dead.
It chirps when it detects LP/CO, when it's reached the end of it's lifespan & when batteries are low, dead or disconnected. In your case with rv in storage I'm betting on the batteries as the detector is wired directly to the batteries.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 03:28 AM   #7

THOR #24176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
Batteries are low or dead.
It chirps when it detects LP/CO, when it's reached the end of it's lifespan & when batteries are low, dead or disconnected. In your case with rv in storage I'm betting on the batteries as the detector is wired directly to the batteries.
All 3 batteries are brand new. My conclusion is that the 6 year old unit is bad. Thanks for the info
Old 07-28-2021, 08:08 PM   #8

Model: Challenger
State: Ohio
THOR #21065
Replacing LP/Carbon Monoxide Detector

My LP/carbon monoxide detector was beeping for a short period of time and then went to a constant flashing. I was told I could just replace the batteries, but when I tried I couldn't because it was soldered. I ordered a replacement that hasn't come in yet. I don't know what type you have but it is an Atwood 31011 RV Carbon Monoxide and Propane Gas Detector - 12 Volt - BLACK and cost $120 on eBay. I'm not mechanically inclined, but I already removed the old one and will install the new one sometime next week; I will be out in my rig when it arrives; meanwhile, for safety purposes, I bought a plugin one for $40 until I can install it. I will post whether it worked, or not. Good luck and safe travels....
Old 09-22-2021, 07:56 PM   #9

Model: Challenger
State: Ohio
THOR #21065
Smile Propane/CO2 Detector

I installed the detector and it works perfectly. I took pictures of the wiring before removing the old unit which made it relatively simple and easy 10 minute fix/replacement. Happy and safe travels....
Old 05-27-2022, 12:14 AM   #10

Model: Freedom Elite 28H
State: California
THOR #3559
Our motorhome is 7 years old today and the Carbon monoxide detector celebrated its birthday by dying!! It's the Atwood model mentioned above? Any advice on removing the old one without causing any damage to the surrounding area? Thanks in advance for any ideas -- we are hoping to replace this as soon as possible as we have a June vacation reservation.
Going to the beach 😎
Homer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 12:33 AM   #11
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer3 View Post
Our motorhome is 7 years old today and the Carbon monoxide detector celebrated its birthday by dying!! It's the Atwood model mentioned above? Any advice on removing the old one without causing any damage to the surrounding area? Thanks in advance for any ideas -- we are hoping to replace this as soon as possible as we have a June vacation reservation.
Pop the cover off the detector (should be a place to insert a screwdriver and pry it off), remove the 4 retaining screws, disconnect the wires.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 01:01 AM   #12

Model: Freedom Elite 28H
State: California
THOR #3559
Thanks Ace! Homer has the cover plate off and we ordered a replacement on Amazon. We could not find the exact same Atwood so he's going to have to Homer/McGyver it. Amazon will deliver tomorrow.
Going to the beach 😎
Homer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 01:56 AM   #13

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Lysol spray and other aerosols will set it off as propane is often used as the propellant. My wife spray everything often, including me and Bugsie, with Lysol...I disconnected it.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 02:41 AM   #14

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
The propane detector is a misnomer, it is actually a gas detector. Blowing the antifreeze out of the lines this spring the alcohol fumes built up in our closed-up rig and set it off.
Also, our 70 lb German Shepard mix likes to sleep at the end of our bed with his rump next to the detector. We found out at 3:00 a.m. dog farts will also set it off!!
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 02:37 PM   #15

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
The propane detector is a misnomer, it is actually a gas detector. Blowing the antifreeze out of the lines this spring the alcohol fumes built up in our closed-up rig and set it off.
Also, our 70 lb German Shepard mix likes to sleep at the end of our bed with his rump next to the detector. We found out at 3:00 a.m. dog farts will also set it off!!

Nothing funnier than a big belly laugh with a mouth full of coffee! Reason enough to disconnect it!!
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 03:40 PM   #16

Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
THOR #13505
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
That's funny!
Old 09-16-2022, 09:38 PM   #17

THOR #12281
Atwood 36681 Propane/CO2 Sensor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Pop the cover off the detector (should be a place to insert a screwdriver and pry it off), remove the 4 retaining screws, disconnect the wires.
Is this the propane/CO2 detector you have (see attached). And, if I read your correctly, I can just pop the cover off by prying under the edge with a screw driver. Is this correct?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220912_123922.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	39485