Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-12-2022, 05:10 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Arizona
THOR #27369
Repairing window shades

We have a four winds 2019. 3rd time out in it and the screw brackets that hold the blinds draw cords are missing. Anyone know where we can find the plastic piece to replace them? Also what can I do to fix the slatted blinds over the sink as they will not stay up. Thanks. I'm new to this forum. Our unit is pre-owned so no warranty.
Cynful

Old 07-13-2022, 03:45 PM   #2

Model: Chateau 25v
State: Florida
THOR #25787
We keep a shade repair kit in the RV. I think we bought one at Camping World, but they are available through Amazon. https://amzn.to/3Rr9u6x As the shades fail we replace them with pull-down roller shades from Lowes.
Old 07-13-2022, 03:57 PM   #3

THOR #27369
Thank you for the info. I'll get the kit from Amazon. I really appreciate you responding. ❤️
Old 07-15-2022, 01:08 PM   #4

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Welcome to the forum! You purchased a kit, and now you get to build and rebuild it to suit you. Many of your questions have previously been answered and can be found with a search, but probably not this one.
Pictures will help the combined wisdom here help you. This time you got a great answer without. If your blind is the tension kind, it will likely need to be tightened over time as the string stretches.
I'm not a fan of slatted blinds and would switch to roller shade as was suggested. We prefer black out shades. If there is a valance over it, removing and replacing it is a simple task.
Old 07-15-2022, 07:34 PM   #5

THOR #27369
If I want to change out the blinds for shades would I get them thru Thor?
Old 07-15-2022, 07:57 PM   #6

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Thor will be of zero value this or any modification. Check the big box lumber stores or order online. You might find roller shades that can be cut to length.
Old 07-15-2022, 09:10 PM   #7

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Nevada
THOR #27334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
Thor will be of zero value this or any modification. Check the big box lumber stores or order online. You might find roller shades that can be cut to length.
I presume when going to roller shades, folks just roll them up when on motion to keep them from slapping about?

I've often wondered about that, what with the usual RV shades having the cords that hold them in place..
Old 07-18-2022, 05:55 PM   #8

Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
Quote:
Originally Posted by widdershins View Post
I presume when going to roller shades, folks just roll them up when on motion to keep them from slapping about?

I've often wondered about that, what with the usual RV shades having the cords that hold them in place..

We have roller shades, and the metal bar at the bottom will rattle whether they are up or down. I put some velcro (the fuzzy side) on the back of the metal where it contacts the window frame to dampen any rattling.
Old 07-18-2022, 06:26 PM   #9

Model: Chateau 25v
THOR #25787
We replaced all of the pleated shades in our last travel trailer with roller shades. We fashioned tie-downs so they stayed in place when in the down position while traveling. We have only replaced one window shade on our new 2022 Thor, and we used the same technique. It does not rattle or slap around when we travel. I get the roller shades cut to size at Lowes. I attach them to the existing valance. Swapping out rollers for the OEM shades is pretty simple. You can drill a hole in the metal bar on the bottom of the shade, and put a simple loop of twine through it. Then screw a decorative button into the wall under the window for the loop of twine to attach to when the shades are in the down position. You can get more decorative with this stuff, but I'm kind of a "keep it simple" renovator. We also employ a quilted reflector material, cut to the size of each window, which fits between the roller shade and the window glass. This helps reduce any 'slapping' that might otherwise occur. We live in Florida and have fouind that the reflector material helps keep the interior of the RV much cooler. We usually remove the reflector material when we arrive at our camping destination. We also fit a piece of reflector into the shower skylight while traveling, for the same reason. For that purpose, we use velcro 'dots' to hold the reflector in place. Lowes roller shades: https://low.es/3aPZu6e
Old 07-18-2022, 06:48 PM   #10

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Anyone ever use the "Zebra shades"? Interesting how they work. I'm considering those when I need to replace our basic fabric pleated shades... unless they're a nightmare/unreliable etc. MCD is also on my list.