Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-27-2022, 08:14 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2019 Synergy 24MB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #16965
Spare Tire for Thor 2019 Synergy (Citation, Siesta) 24MB

Hi, I'm perplexed about several questions related to getting a spare tire for my Sprinter chassis based 2019 Synergy. I mention Citation & Siesta models as I think they're essentially the same as my Synergy:

- Are the tire rims all the same ?
- Where can I mount a spare tire - Underneath? We carry e-bikes on the rear hitch.
- I can't seem to find the exact make/model of tire for sale anywhere. Is it safe to mount another time with similar specs? I've got Continental VancoFourseason LT215/85R16's 6-ply E-rating tires now.
- The little sizzor jack under the passenger foot rest looks inadequate. I probably ought to get a 10-ton bottle jack - right?

We're headed to Alaska in June and it makes me a little nervous to travel without a spare tire. Any advice is appreciated!

Old 03-27-2022, 09:04 PM   #2

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
I went to Town Fair Tire and bought a spare tire and rim for my Thor Axis 24.1 which is similar in size to yours. Couldn't have been easier. Paid $200-250 for both. They did have to see the coach to get the exact rim and lug details.

Mounting- Lots of discussion/opinions here. I guess the hitch mount is ruled out. That really leaves mounting it underneath and just forward of the rear bumper. Don't know if there is room. If you have a built-in ladder, you can consider mounting it on that, but be prepared for lots of flack .

Then this is what you need for removal and remounting:

Hydraulic jack and jack stand. Or a combo unit like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GJJZ5YC...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Make sure it is short enough to get underneath with the tire flat. 4 tons is enough for the jack size for that coach.

For the Sprinter, you don't need really heavy tools. The lug nut torque should be 200 ft lbs or less. I use a 1/2" breaker bar and an appropriate size socket.

You will need a compressor to air up your spare.

Good luck.

David
Old 03-27-2022, 09:50 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunriseCamp View Post
Hi, I'm perplexed about several questions related to getting a spare tire for my Sprinter chassis based 2019 Synergy. I mention Citation & Siesta models as I think they're essentially the same as my Synergy:

- Are the tire rims all the same ? Yes
- Where can I mount a spare tire - Underneath? We carry e-bikes on the rear hitch.
- I can't seem to find the exact make/model of tire for sale anywhere. Is it safe to mount another time with similar specs? I've got Continental VancoFourseason LT215/85R16's 6-ply E-rating tires now. Yes - it's a SPARE.
- The little sizzor jack under the passenger foot rest looks inadequate. I probably ought to get a 10-ton bottle jack - right? Probably work much better.

We're headed to Alaska in June and it makes me a little nervous to travel without a spare tire. Any advice is appreciated!

Answers in RED.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 09:57 PM   #4

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
I carry a spare tire mounted on a rim on a hitch mount spare tire holder I bought on etrailer. The rim I bought in Kentucky for $49.00 and the tire I bought online for $200. I had a local shop mount and balance it for $25.00. All of the rims are the same size on the chassis.

Paul
Old 03-28-2022, 12:04 AM   #5

Model: 2019 Synergy 24MB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #16965
Very helpful so far. So the rim's on the dually rear's are interchangeable with the front's ? e.g. I'll have one spare tire/rim and can replace a flat on either front or back?
Old 03-28-2022, 01:29 AM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunriseCamp View Post
Very helpful so far. So the rim's on the dually rear's are interchangeable with the front's ? e.g. I'll have one spare tire/rim and can replace a flat on either front or back?
As stated above (twice), yes.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote