Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-19-2022, 08:08 PM   #1

Brand: Jayco
State: New York
THOR #27721
"Thor" Kodiak Chateau 36A - Info

Hello,

New to the forum and looking for some guidance/advice. My wife and I have been camping with our young family for 6 years, with a TT. We have 3 young kids >8 yrs old, and have started looking at RV's to make the longer trips easier on everyone.

On the top of our list right now are Class C's, but the limited towing capacity has me slightly worried. I want to easily be able to tow my pickup, ~5500 pounds, or a trailer with boat, SxS, toys etc., all of which will test (or exceed) the towing capacity of most Class C's w/ gas. So, I've really started to look at Super C's as they seem to offer more of our camping/traveling/hauling style than a class A. Plus, price seems a bit better.

We've recently started looking at a "Thor" Four Winds Kodiak Chateau 36A. The layout is spot on with bunks and it has the Duramax, which I like for increased towing. We really cant find a whole lot of info on this model. I see some info stating the GCWR is only 26000# and others where is 30000#, that is a big difference if the rig weigh in around 22000#, as it limits or capacity.

So, here I am. Can anyone shed any light on pro's cons, of this model or something similar to this chassis. It seems to me that this chassis/model was offered by a few different brands, seemingly with different stickers. Is the 36 model on a different platform than its slightly smaller siblings?

Is the 6.6 Duramax enough motor for the job?

I would greatly appreciate any info, good or bad, as we continue our search.

Thank you!

Old 08-19-2022, 10:52 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
The Duramax will pull the fire out of Hell. GVWR and GCWR are two different things. The Super C's have a 10,000# towing capacity. Although mine is the F-550 with the 6.7 Power Stroke (almost identical setup), I pull an R&R aluminum car hauler with a XT5, bikes, portable generator, extra fuel jugs and a few other things on a regular basis. Loaded trailer weight is around 7,500 pounds. I have to continually look back to see if its all still there. you will be fine...go for it!! For the record, I also have a 2011 GMC 2500 Duramax with 16,500# towing capacity. I pulled a 14,000 GVWR trailer with a Kubota L3540 and attachments...total weight around 13,000#...the Duramax is a beast.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 01:38 AM   #3

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
How large was your trailer? Is that enough room for a rainy day with three kids? Ultimately your decision will be based on your personal preferences.
Old 08-20-2022, 11:33 AM   #4

THOR #27721
Thanks for the feedback.

Sounds like the power will be plenty, which I’m glad to hear. I’m actually leaving more towards pre def diesels to avoid all the exhaust restrictions on the newer engines.

Our trailer is only a 28’, and honestly worked fine. It’s a little cramped with the baby pack and play in the living room, but we’re almost past that. Space wise, I think we will be fine.

Are there any known issues to look out for on these models? The 36’ models seem to offer a slightly larger GCWR, than even the 35. Is this just transmission upgrades? How long will tires last, replace every 4-5 years? Body weak points? Areas prone to leak? Etc.?

We’re going to go look at the unit in person and wanted to make sure of any specific points to pay attention to, should we find out of any known problems areas. Our TT only see sunlight and rain when we camp, other than that it’s stored inside our heated shop. As will the new RV, but finding one that’s been pampered is the tough part.

Thanks again.
Old 08-20-2022, 11:34 AM   #5

THOR #27721
I should have mentioned that the year we’re looking at is a 2009, Kodiak chassis.
Old 08-20-2022, 12:39 PM   #6

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Browny View Post
I should have mentioned that the year we’re looking at is a 2009, Kodiak chassis.

It should be well seasoned and any leak concerns will be obvious. The way I read your post, it sounded like you were looking at new Super C's.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 12:50 PM   #7
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Browny View Post
If you jump over to the Jayco forum there are numerous members that own the earlier Kodak based Seneca.
Old 08-22-2022, 03:11 PM   #8

THOR #27721
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
If you jump over to the Jayco forum there are numerous members that own the earlier Kodak based Seneca.
Thanks for the tip, going to try that as well.