Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-11-2023, 01:08 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tellaro 20K
State: Texas
THOR #28198
22 Tellaro Propane System

Tonight, my first night in an RV park, and I have a propane leak. That's not actually the reason for my post, but the leak made me realize how little I know about the propane system in this van.

Could someone enlighten me? What exactly does the outside switch do? I'm referring to the toggle switch located on the outside of the van next to the propane fill valve. Also, is there a manual shutoff I should be aware of?

The leak I had today started the instant I turned the switch on and went away (gradually) once I turned the switch off. I'm hoping it's a simple fitting that needs to be tightened. Propane terrifies me!

Old 01-11-2023, 01:23 AM   #2

Model: 2022 Sanctuary
State: Florida
THOR #26179
The Switch energizes a normally closed solenoid Valve to permit Propane to pressurize your system . My passenger side Propane access port for a Cooker was replaced , it has a Recall from Thor because it may leak .

Your leak may or may not be related , but you need the system tested for leaks . I only briefly looked at the Propane Tank under the RV & I believe there is a Propane system diagram through the Thor Portal sight . I. think .
Old 01-11-2023, 02:10 PM   #3

Model: Tellaro 20L
State: North Carolina
THOR #26907
When I picked my van up from the dealer, the tech said that he repaired a propane leak because of a "loose fitting". He said as soon as he turned the switch on he could hear it leaking but was an "easy fix". Would not be surprised if yours is similar and caused by Thor not checking these vans out before delivery if this is the first time you have turned it on.

There is also a valve on the tank if you crawl under the van to manually turn off the propane in addition to the red switch.

I inquired about the red switch dependability with the Tech and he advised it was a very reliable switch and they have seen very few problems from them.

The recall mentioned has been known by the dealers for some time. It effects thousands of campers, not just Thor. I mentioned when I picked up the van to the tech about six month ago and he was aware of it. He said that it is the outside connection for "grills" etc (propane access port as mentioned). He also said that there were so many vehicles effected by it that could overwhelm the dealers once it becomes official and parts to repair were not available at that time.
Old 01-11-2023, 04:07 PM   #4

State: Wisconsin
THOR #27874
I got the exact same song-dance as robertj1961 when we picked our 2023/20L up. Might be that whoever is tasked with tightening stuff, is too weak for the job or needs their torque wrench calibrated.

My propane port has a ball valve shut-off on it, wonder if that was the fix for leaky connectors.

The switch thing is another one...why put in a non-weather proof device under a vehicle. We don't travel with these in an enclosed trailer and then park them, they get driven in all kinds of conditions. I get why it's outside, just needs to the right switch for the job.

I know others have had issues with not being able to fill the tank. It turns out there is another valve on one of the tank fittings that needs to be left open.

There is also a valve opposite the switch/fill port - that needs to be closed. The tank filler person will open that to see propane come out when filling. Make sure that one is tight.

You can get a leak detector for $30-$100 at amazon or home depot, at least you would know what needs to be fixed (soapy water is cheaper yet)

Ron
2023 Thor Tellaro 20L 200Amp Reliable -no generator
RonRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 01:30 AM   #5

Model: Tellaro 20K
State: Texas
THOR #28198
Thanks for the replies. Very helpful information.

I have been using the propane since October with no issues. Just prior to the leak, I had traveled some distance so I'm going to assume a fitting worked itself loose. It was leaking very near the tank I just haven't crawled underneath yet to see if the fitting is in fact loose. Propane scares me. Lol
Old 01-12-2023, 03:32 PM   #6

Model: Tellaro 20L
State: North Carolina
THOR #26907
Quote:
Originally Posted by JourneyingTurtle View Post
Thanks for the replies. Very helpful information.

I have been using the propane since October with no issues. Just prior to the leak, I had traveled some distance so I'm going to assume a fitting worked itself loose. It was leaking very near the tank I just haven't crawled underneath yet to see if the fitting is in fact loose. Propane scares me. Lol
My wife is also scared of the Propane and "freaks out" every-time I flip the red switch. Me not so much and don't think would feel a thing if the damn thing blows up LOL... Good luck!