Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-18-2024, 07:07 PM   #1
MWM

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Washington
THOR #29261
Sanctuary Rear Window Flares

I'm reaching out to see if anyone has had any issues with the window flares on the Sanctuary or Tranquility? Mine are cracked. Both sides.

Did your dealer fix them? Did you fix them yourself?

It took me calling Thor to get the correct parts to the dealer, then waiting another couple weeks to find out the dealer doesn't know how to do the work.

Surely, I'm not the only one who has defective flares...

Old 03-19-2024, 04:11 AM   #2
MCP

Model: Tellaro 20k
State: Arizona
THOR #27962
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWM View Post
I'm reaching out to see if anyone has had any issues with the window flares on the Sanctuary or Tranquility? Mine are cracked. Both sides.

It took me calling Thor to get the correct parts to the dealer, then waiting another couple weeks to find out the dealer doesn't know how to do the work.

I don’t have a Sanctuary and I don’t have any answer but I do have a question. What is a window flare? Do you have a picture? Just curious.
Old 03-19-2024, 02:08 PM   #3

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Indiana
THOR #30073
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCP View Post
I don’t have a Sanctuary and I don’t have any answer but I do have a question. What is a window flare? Do you have a picture? Just curious.
Thanks! I was too chicken to ask.
Old 03-19-2024, 02:44 PM   #4
MWM

THOR #29261
I can't figure out how to add a photo but the rear flare windows are the windows on some of the Class B Sprinter Chassis vans. They flare out, giving more room inside so the bed can be used width wise.
Old 03-19-2024, 02:51 PM   #5

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Indiana
THOR #30073
Quote:
I can't figure out how to add a photo but the rear flare windows are the windows on some of the Class B Sprinter Chassis vans. They flare out, giving more room inside so the bed can be used width wise.
So, one edge flips outward? From bottom or from side?
Old 03-19-2024, 02:55 PM   #6
MWM

THOR #29261
These vans are all over the place. Next time you see one, look at the rear windows. They flare outward.
Old 03-19-2024, 03:37 PM   #7

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Probably acrylic bubble windows.
Old 03-19-2024, 03:41 PM   #8
MWM

THOR #29261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Probably acrylic bubble windows.
Or Rear Flare Windows.
Old 03-19-2024, 04:01 PM   #9
MCP

Model: Tellaro 20k
State: Arizona
THOR #27962
So, like the Truevan Vision X. (Truevan.com). Saw that on a Vancaskey YouTube video. I didn’t know Thor had that as an option and figured it was a custom upfitter option. I just haven’t seen it on Thor’s website but I suppose it could be custom ordered through a Thor dealer. It is an interesting upgrade.
Old 03-19-2024, 04:18 PM   #10
MWM

THOR #29261
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCP View Post
So, like the Truevan Vision X. (Truevan.com). Saw that on a Vancaskey YouTube video. I didn’t know Thor had that as an option and figured it was a custom upfitter option. I just haven’t seen it on Thor’s website but I suppose it could be custom ordered through a Thor dealer. It is an interesting upgrade.
I wouldn't call it an option. The Thor sprinter vans that have a bed running in the width of the van, have these flare windows. Mine is a 2023 Sanctuary L.

They are very common in the custom-built vans as well.

Flarespace is one manufacturer for the custom builders.

Just search "Sprinter Rear Window Flares" and you'll see many images.

Mine had hairline cracks in both of them and leaked. I was just trying to see if it was a common defect.
Old 03-20-2024, 12:08 AM   #11

THOR #16721
Quote:
Flares, aka "bump out panels” or “side pods,” by Flarespace are the genuine article.
"Flares" seems to be a trademark name... but at least they give alternate descriptions. Hairline cracks in acrylic can be caused by (or combination of) stress fractures, long term UV exposure and age. They're plastic windows...
Old 03-22-2024, 09:08 PM   #12
MWM

THOR #29261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
"Flares" seems to be a trademark name... but at least they give alternate descriptions. Hairline cracks in acrylic can be caused by (or combination of) stress fractures, long term UV exposure and age. They're plastic windows...
"Flares" are the parts I'm talking about. "Flarespace" is a company that makes aftermarket parts for van builders.

The parts guy at Thor told me the part description was "Flares", the parts guy at the dealership and the service manager called them "Flares".

These are not "plastic windows...." The "flares" are fiberglass "flares" that attach to the glass windows to "flare" out and make more room on the inside.

This post was to see if anyone had the same issue, not to get your opinion on what the parts are called and why they are cracked. I'm well aware about these part numbers, descriptions and replacement procedures as I have been dealing with it for 2 months now.
Old 03-22-2024, 11:11 PM   #13

THOR #16721
Maybe post a few pics?
Old 03-22-2024, 11:33 PM   #14

Model: ACE 30.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #25260
Quote:
This post was to see if anyone had the same issue, not to get your opinion on what the parts are called and why they are cracked. I'm well aware about these part numbers, descriptions and replacement procedures as I have been dealing with it for 2 months now.
Definitions are important. Since I know little about a Class B RV, I would have assumed a 'flare' would be something over a wheel well so that wide tires wouldn't throw up debris.

2015 ACE 30.1, 2017 RAV4, 1999 F250, 1991 Honda ST1100, 1984 Alfa Romeo Spider, 1981 Alfa Romeo GTV6, 1961 MGA
ghnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 10:38 AM   #15

State: Colorado
THOR #29440
Cracked Flares

Quote:

MWM ... Yep, just noticed my 2023 19L has multiple hairline cracks all around both rear windows and hit the Forum to ask the same question.

Argh!!! So Thor sent/supplied your dealer with replacement parts... are these new flares with side glass installed OR just the fiberglass flares? Seems this would be a very complicated repair job as I'm guessing the entire rear interior would need to be removed to access the rear window area. this would include most of the electrical equipment on the passenger side and the plumbing on the driver side. Do you have a 19P or 19L model?
Old 04-09-2024, 04:04 PM   #16
MWM

THOR #29261
I just sent you a message but yes, it was a tough job.

The dealership had to send the van out to an autoglass shop to remove and install the windows. The rear glass and the rea flares are different part numbers. My dealership ordered the glass only at first before realizing we needed to order the flares specifically. I'm not sure if you need to replace the glass when replacing the flares but since we had the parts, I got new everything all covered by the original standard warranty.