Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-05-2022, 04:07 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Europe
THOR #26254
is 100,000 miles too much???

Hey folks, I'm looking at an RV that comes with a CAT C-9, 2006 and a mileage of 100,000. The RV is in great condition but I'm a bit concerned about the high (?) mileage. What do you guys think?

Thanks

Old 09-05-2022, 04:47 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
100,000 miles is nothing for a Cat C-9 engine, if.... it was maintained and used correctly, and you probably have no way of knowing if these are true.

But here is one of the best ways to get a handle on how much wear and tear has occurred on a diesel: Start if from stone cold, at least 8 hours from the last firing. If it starts within a few seconds and after warming up, produces little smoke at idle, it probably has lots of hours left.

Quick starting and little smoke means the rings are still doing their job. Worn rings are a sure sign of an engine near the end of its life, or due for a major overhaul.

There are other reasons why an engine might not start easily from cold that have nothing to do with ring wear, air in the fuel being one, but those issues need to be addressed as well, although they usually aren't that expensive to fix.

David
Old 09-05-2022, 05:54 PM   #3
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
If properly maintained, that engine should go 500k miles. It should outlast all other things on the rig including you. But that means properly maintained and not abused. How many miles per year? Did they do the proper oil, filter, etc..
Old 09-05-2022, 07:00 PM   #4

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
If you're in Europe then the mh should be showing kilometers, about 62000 miles.
Old 09-05-2022, 10:07 PM   #5

Model: Tuscany 40ex
State: Ohio
THOR #12726
Could also look at the blow-by tube and see how much it has and whether or not it’s got a lot of oil around it, love cat engines but hated changing starters they were always covered in oil.
Old 09-05-2022, 10:51 PM   #6
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Oil analysis will tell you everything you need to know.
Old 09-06-2022, 08:34 AM   #7

THOR #26254
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
100,000 miles is nothing for a Cat C-9 engine, if.... it was maintained and used correctly, and you probably have no way of knowing if these are true.

But here is one of the best ways to get a handle on how much wear and tear has occurred on a diesel: Start if from stone cold, at least 8 hours from the last firing. If it starts within a few seconds and after warming up, produces little smoke at idle, it probably has lots of hours left.

Quick starting and little smoke means the rings are still doing their job. Worn rings are a sure sign of an engine near the end of its life, or due for a major overhaul.

There are other reasons why an engine might not start easily from cold that have nothing to do with ring wear, air in the fuel being one, but those issues need to be addressed as well, although they usually aren't that expensive to fix.

David
Thanks David, great points. The owner says I won't find a better RV!! He has kept the RV under the roof while not driving!. I'll check maintenance records in my visit to make my own inspection. If we agree on a price I'll bring in a certified inspector.
Old 09-06-2022, 08:37 AM   #8

THOR #26254
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLP View Post
If properly maintained, that engine should go 500k miles. It should outlast all other things on the rig including you. But that means properly maintained and not abused. How many miles per year? Did they do the proper oil, filter, etc..
LOL That was funny; I hope that engine treats me well so I can live a few more years. I haven't seen the RV in person but will do it this weekend in Ohio. Can't wait!! I'll see how much documentation I find!! Thanks
Old 09-06-2022, 08:40 AM   #9

THOR #26254
Quote:
Originally Posted by abjbrtd View Post
If you're in Europe then the mh should be showing kilometers, about 62000 miles.
Good point but no, the RV is in the US and will stay there although yes, I live in Spain. This is the price of having high expectations on your Bucket List.... travel the 49 continental states in the US and a bit of Canada in a motorhome!! The first leg of this 4 year plan starts off right after I finally purchase our used Diesel Pusher..... We will have a blog so we can document our journey!!
Old 09-06-2022, 08:42 AM   #10

THOR #26254
Quote:
Originally Posted by simidrm View Post
Could also look at the blow-by tube and see how much it has and whether or not it’s got a lot of oil around it, love cat engines but hated changing starters they were always covered in oil.
Great point.... I'll have a look!!! Good think is that it has side radiator so access to the engine is easier.
Old 09-06-2022, 08:45 AM   #11

THOR #26254
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Oil analysis will tell you everything you need to know.
Sure but I need to make sure the owner doesn't change the oil before my arrival!! Although I've heard from inspectors that it's not uncommon those tests happen to be inconclusive.... but I'm in favor of the test, sure
Old 09-06-2022, 10:28 AM   #12

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
You're probably looking at 6-7 mpg at best and on the good side, no DEF

As already noted the engine is long lived, just a fuel burner
Old 09-06-2022, 12:12 PM   #13

THOR #26254
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguir View Post
You're probably looking at 6-7 mpg at best and on the good side, no DEF

As already noted the engine is long lived, just a fuel burner
Yes, and I'm sure I'll be thankful of those 400 Hp pushing the beast up in the mountains.... Initially I was leaning towards a C-7 or its similar in Cummins but I thought I would need more muscle.....
Old 09-06-2022, 06:24 PM   #14

THOR #9178
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanRVadventures View Post
Yes, and I'm sure I'll be thankful of those 400 Hp pushing the beast up in the mountains.... Initially I was leaning towards a C-7 or its similar in Cummins but I thought I would need more muscle.....
We travel the Rockies and have no problem staying in the truck line, with a Towed

You will be fine doing the same
Old 09-07-2022, 07:25 AM   #15

THOR #26254
Quote:
We travel the Rockies and have no problem staying in the truck line, with a Towed

You will be fine doing the same
Can't wait!!
Old 09-07-2022, 07:41 PM   #16

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Have a qualified mechanic look it over. There's lots of ways to "figure" if it's good...get her real hot, as in normal operating temperature, and remove the oil fill cap...exhaust should not come out of it. Another is the "blow by" tube at the bottom of the engine...to much exhaust passing over the worn out rings will cause excess exhaust in the crankcase resulting in those gases blowing out through this tube. You can also open the oil filler cap (when running at normal temperature) and place a white cloth over it...oil or oily filled exhaust will stain the cloth. As said...tons of shade tree options but best medicine...get a mechanic to check it out. Replacing that engine would be more than the price and way more than the value of the entire motorhome. 100,000 miles in nothing...it should run 700-800,000 more...BUT...if it hasn't been kept clean and maintained it could be on it;s last breath. Are there any maintenance records with it? Parts in the middle of nowhere will be an issue on an engine that old...especially a CAT. CAT stopped making "on highway" engines in 2010.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 05:43 AM   #17

THOR #26254
Great explanation, thanks. I’ll see the RV on Sunday and will definitely call a mechanic for our second visit! I’ve also asked him to make sure service history is handy
Old 09-08-2022, 10:16 AM   #18

THOR #9178
MHSRV has several nice previously owned coaches if that one doesn't work out

Asking prices seem reasonable

Replacing all hoses, belts, idlers, turbo boots ect runs around 7-8k if there original
Old 09-08-2022, 01:49 PM   #19

THOR #26254
Quote:
MHSRV has several nice previously owned coaches if that one doesn't work out

Asking prices seem reasonable

Replacing all hoses, belts, idlers, turbo boots ect runs around 7-8k if there original
Wow... that much!! Belts, hoses, all fluids and filters are certainly things I want to change before the journey starts.... Now, I am considering an extended warranty from Wholesale Warranties just to be safe in case expensive parts are needed to replace, but I have just received confirmation that they don't cover RVs with more than 100,000 miles on the clock which means I wouldn't be protected. What do you guys think of these warranties and if you are aware of a company that covers the 100 K threshold? Thanks in advance
Old 09-08-2022, 02:38 PM   #20

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
That reminds me of the claims on TV commercials where an 85 year old man can get life insurance for on $9.95 per month. Anything covering this coach would be very expensive or the coverage would be very limited. I think you just check it out as best you can. If the value is in your favor, jump in it and go. You should be able to buy it for a song and be prepared to leave it on the side of the road if necessary. What model RV is it and how much do they want you to pay for it? That's the key elements not mentioned here. 2006 is pretty old for an RV. Lots of campgrounds do not allow RV's over a certain year model. We're staying 3 nights at a place on Hilton Head Island this month and they are very adamant about 10+ year old motorhomes.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote