Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-24-2022, 10:47 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger
State: Mississippi
THOR #21519
Poor quality fabric on furniture

I have a 2020 Thor Challenger purchased new. Within the first 6 months the faux leather fabric started breaking down on the captain’s chairs and both were recovered under warranty with a much higher quality marine grade fabric. We have now had the home 26 months and the two recliners look just awful and will have to be recovered. We know it’s just a matter of time until the sofa and dinette have to be recovered as well. I’m just trying to find out if this was a widespread problem and if anyone has approached Thor about the issue?
Thanks.

Old 09-24-2022, 11:28 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhill39443 View Post
I have a 2020 Thor Challenger purchased new. Within the first 6 months the faux leather fabric started breaking down on the captain’s chairs and both were recovered under warranty with a much higher quality marine grade fabric. We have now had the home 26 months and the two recliners look just awful and will have to be recovered. We know it’s just a matter of time until the sofa and dinette have to be recovered as well. I’m just trying to find out if this was a widespread problem and if anyone has approached Thor about the issue?
Thanks.
I had to replace every piece of vinyl in the 2016 Thor MC coach. I just replaced the 2017 RecPro Charles reclining love seat with the same problem.. I highly recommend Ultra Fabrics Brisa as a suitable replacement, but I only have 2 years of experience.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 12:06 AM   #3

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
This has been a know issue which appeared a few years ago. Evidently a LOT of RV furniture manufacturers snapped up a "too good to be true" deal on fabric... likely from the same Chinese factory.

Unfortunately with only a one year warranty most people were screwed because it took slightly longer for the stuff to dissolve and crumble. Thousands of customers were stuck.

I'm now seeing furniture like Thomas Payne with warranties which cover cases of the crumblies.

So it was just a black eye in history for RV furniture... many folks STILL feeling the burn from that one...
Old 09-25-2022, 12:14 AM   #4

Brand: DRV
Model: Mobile Suites 36RSB3
State: Florida
THOR #17449
the Thomas Payne theater seats in our 2019 Mobile look like crap with the fake leather peeling. Trying to find a alternative but not coming up with anything that will fit, other than Rec Pro and they seem to have the same issue.
Old 09-25-2022, 01:08 PM   #5

Model: hurricane
THOR #5244
seat coming apart

Had my coach in the shop for damage to the side, cut corner to close ... ten months later I got it back ( they said covid slowed them down } SURE ... they must have pointed it into the Hot Texas sun the whole time with out the sun screen. results, the captain chairs are delaminating badly. repair shop stated it the crappy chairs from Thor , no help from them. Where can I get good fitting seat covers for a 2018 Thor Hurricane
Old 09-25-2022, 02:08 PM   #6

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Check out shop4seats.com. Ours are 2 years old, used quite a bit, and still look new. Instead of vinyl covered fabric, they are a leather look, plush fabric.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D44EB816-7ECC-4FD9-AEE8-DC8E1D84B42B.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	39569  
Old 11-03-2022, 03:31 PM   #7

Model: challenger 37FH
State: Delaware
THOR #13399
2019 thor challenger, we’re full-time so when our material started breaking down I called Williamsburg Furniture in Elkhart and spoke to a very nice woman who told me to look under captain chairs for tags ,I took pictures and emailed them to her. She still had all of the patterns and sent us samples of available ultrafabrics. While talking to her we also sent pictures of tags from dinette cushions and had them done in same material. She also agreed to sell us a couple of feet of same material to cover the ends of the drawers under dinette. Received everything in 3 weeks and installed ourselves, easy and fit perfectly. We didn't really like the recliners that came with the motorhome so found Indianawoodcrafters.com picked out, Lambright 68inch Lux wall hugger power recliner theater/ love seat. Wife picked out color from sample material from ultrafabrics, same company we used for the captain chairs and dinette. Easy installation, even reused the floor brackets from the old recliners. We're extremely happy with everything, wife picked out a very lite color for everything instead of dark like original material, looks like a new and completely different motorhome.
Old 11-03-2022, 04:32 PM   #8

Model: Challenger
State: Mississippi
THOR #21519
Thanks so much for the info. We are not happy with the theatre recliners that came in the home as well and are looking at replacing with the wall hugger
Old 12-29-2023, 05:08 PM   #9

State: Tennessee
THOR #15689
2016 THOR ACE 30.2 Bad Fabric

We just replaced all the fabric in our 2016 THOR ACE 30.2. It was pealing and flaking all over the place. I wanted to add this to the forum as I strongly believe there should be some kind of reimbursement of the cost on this bad fabric. I hope someone files a class action lawsuit against them as this was THOR Motor Coach's bad decision. Every THOR RV I see for sale from 2014 - 2019 has interior furniture pealing. This is causing deflation in the resale value of these RV's.

We paid $3,000 for boat grade vinyl replacement.

I am just sick about this. We take exceptional care of our RV and the fabric should have lasted the life of the RV. Just like a household piece of furniture or a car interior.
Old 12-29-2023, 05:15 PM   #10
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrot View Post
We just replaced all the fabric in our 2016 THOR ACE 30.2. It was pealing and flaking all over the place. I wanted to add this to the forum as I strongly believe there should be some kind of reimbursement of the cost on this bad fabric. I hope someone files a class action lawsuit against them as this was THOR Motor Coach's bad decision. Every THOR RV I see for sale from 2014 - 2019 has interior furniture pealing. This is causing deflation in the resale value of these RV's.

I am just sick about this. We take exceptional care of our RV and the fabric should have lasted the life of the RV. Just like a household piece of furniture or a car interior.
Sorry but you got what you paid for. If you wanted better quality you should have bought a better RV.

Issues with RV furniture cabinet have been posted for years.
Old 12-29-2023, 05:21 PM   #11

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Class action lawsuits are a joke. You'll get $3.27 and the attorneys get millions. They love to take them on.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2023, 08:01 PM   #12

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrot View Post

It’s not just you. Nor just Thor. Several manufacturers have this issue. Ours is a 2019. Unless driving, we keep shades in all windows so no sunlight gets in. We replaced the jackknife couch with recliners from shop4seats.com. So far neither front seats or dinette show peeling. If they do, I’ll buy matching replacements.
Old 12-30-2023, 12:05 AM   #13

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
It is a shame that if you buy an entry level RV you get a bucket of bolts with no quality control made from cheaply sourced parts.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote