Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-30-2021, 12:30 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Branson, MO to Memphis, Tennessee?

traveling via these highways US-65 S and US-64 E is the route safe normal roads etc.

Site seeing all suggestions welcome

route:
1 Get on US-65 S from W Main St
2 Follow US-65 S to Gravesville Cutoff Rd in Bee Branch
3 Get on US-167 N/US-64 E/US-67 N in White County from AR-124 E and AR-36 E
4 Continue on US-64 E. Drive to N Front St in Memphis. Take exit 1 from I-40

Thanks

Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 12:34 AM   #2

THOR #20220
here is a small map 2 ways to go ..i guess?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	r1.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	33996  
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
Old 09-30-2021, 12:44 AM   #3

Brand: DRV
Model: Mobile Suites 36RSB3
State: Florida
THOR #17449
We are going the same direction pulling a 5th wheel. I think I'm leaning towards the bottom route you show listed. Maybe a bit longer but more accessible Roads I think
Old 09-30-2021, 12:49 AM   #4

THOR #20220
looks like i can go this way but what is 160?
Anyone stop on jonesboro?
see image
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	r1.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	33997  
Old 09-30-2021, 12:49 AM   #5

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTM41261 View Post
We are going the same direction pulling a 5th wheel. I think I'm leaning towards the bottom route you show listed. Maybe a bit longer but more accessible Roads I think
let me look at bottom route
Old 09-30-2021, 12:55 AM   #6

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTM41261 View Post
i am mapping places stops this looks like more highway
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	64
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	33998  
Old 09-30-2021, 01:12 AM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
I know this area well. I am really surprised of the options given? But of the 3 choices you asked about; I would certainly go the bottom route in you picture.

But you said you were sightseeing? Sight seeing for what?

If it were me, especially with RV; I would go through Conway, and Little Rock, Arkansas to Memphis TN. The roads will be so much better. But again it depends on what you want to see. I kind of like well lighted gas stations and plenty of very nice rest stops. Arkansas has very nice Rest Stops on the Interstates, in your case it would be I - 40 East to Memphis
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 01:13 AM   #8

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I know this area well. I am really surprised of the options given? But of the 3 choices you asked about; I would certainly go the bottom route in you picture.

If it were me, especially with RV; I would go through Conway, and Little Rock, Arkansas to Memphis TN. The roads will be so much better. But again it depends on what you want to see. I kind of like well lighted gas stations and plenty of very nice rest stops. Arkansas has very nice Rest Stops on the Interstates, in your case it would be I - 40 East to Memphis
perfect deep diving now
Old 09-30-2021, 01:17 AM   #9

THOR #20220
Quote:

From Branson Mo.. do not see big connection to conway or highway ? ..see image
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	75
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	34011  
Old 09-30-2021, 01:20 AM   #10

THOR #20220
oh i see 65 keeps going to Conway? is 65 a good road?
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	80
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	34012  
Old 09-30-2021, 01:37 AM   #11

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
oh i see 65 keeps going to Conway? is 65 a good road?
Think of this way. Branson is very popular tourist site for a lot of people nation wide but they get plenty tourist from Arkansas. If you are in Little Rock by far the most populous city in the state, how do you think they drive back & forth to Branson. Conway is also a large city in the context of being in Arkansas.

Also since 65 is in Branson, you have to take it anyway to get out Taking it to I - 40 East is why I was puzzled it did not show as option. Maybe technically it calculates 15 mins longer or something. It certainly may be more miles, but I think you can find plenty things you may wish to see going through Conway & Little Rock.

If you are up to it, there is city in Arkansas called Helena (Hell Len Na), but I don't think they say it like you guys say it in Montana
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 09-30-2021, 01:44 AM   #12

THOR #20220
Quote:
Think of this way. Branson is very popular tourist site for a lot of people nation wide but they get plenty tourist from Arkansas. If you are in Little Rock by far the most populous city in the state, how do you think they drive back & forth to Branson. Conway is also a large city in the context of being in Arkansas.

Also since 65 is in Branson, you have to take it anyway to get out Taking it to I - 40 East is why I was puzzled it did not show as option. Maybe technically it calculates 15 mins longer or something. It certainly may be more miles, but I think you can find plenty things you may wish to see going through Conway & Little Rock.

If you are up to it, there is city in Arkansas called Helena (Hell Len Na), but I don't think they say it like you guys say it in Montana
funny my nephew plays football for Carroll college in HELL LA NA i go there a lot 4 hour from billings.. all State campsites there now are FREE now..appreciate..

Initially founded as a gold camp in 1864, Helena quickly became a wealthy city, with elegant and elaborate buildings springing up around the center of town. Now the state capital of Montana, it boasts a number of well-preserved historical tourist attractions and a handful of marvelous museums and microbreweries.
Old 09-30-2021, 02:34 AM   #13

THOR #13058
Quote:
funny my nephew plays football for Carroll college in HELL LA NA i go there a lot 4 hour from billings.. all State campsites there now are FREE now..appreciate..

Initially founded as a gold camp in 1864, Helena quickly became a wealthy city, with elegant and elaborate buildings springing up around the center of town. Now the state capital of Montana, it boasts a number of well-preserved historical tourist attractions and a handful of marvelous museums and microbreweries.
Do the campsite come with electricity and full hookups?

We got a trip planned for Colorado and I got 3 nights at a State Park with no electricity or hookups. I save $13/night so 27 more nights and my new Vmax Tanks batteries are all paid for with savings

Oh and for the Reservation police, I made my reservation 2 weeks out. There was nothing available when I first looked, so I looked each day and on 3 day 2 nights were available, I booked, 2 days later I booked a 3rd night on the same loop. Since we will be boondocking (no hookups) it is no big deal to drive to different site after the 1st night.
Old 09-30-2021, 11:09 AM   #14

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
i am mapping places stops this looks like more highway
I lived in Branson a number of years and had a vacation home there prior so traveled all those routes over the years

More scenery and slower with the northern routes

Faster and better roads south
Old 09-30-2021, 01:38 PM   #15

Brand: DRV
Model: Mobile Suites 36RSB3
THOR #17449
Thanks for the tips
Old 09-30-2021, 03:14 PM   #16

Model: Freedom Elite 30FE
State: Arkansas
THOR #12827
As others have said, planning your route depends on what you want to see and what type of roads you prefer driving on. Also it will depend on how much time you want to spend in Arkansas (are you planning to spend a couple of days or are you wanting to get to Memphis in a single day?)

The routes on your map consists of 4 and 2 lane roads (mostly 2 lane).
The route that dkoldman recommended (US 65 south from Branson to I-40 @Conway, I-40 east past Little Rock on to Memphis has the least amount of 2 lane highway. Your miles traveled will be more, but time wise will probably be faster.
The northern routes are more scenic but once you get past US 67, all you will see is farmland.
LandKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 05:00 PM   #17

THOR #20220
Thanks. We will be going through this area December 1 and need to be in Chattanooga Tennessee 12/17 so will go slow see little Rock Memphis Branson Nashville..wife has never seen these areas

US 65 south from Branson to I-40 @Conway, I-40 east past Little Rock on to Memphis

Thanks
Old 09-30-2021, 05:26 PM   #18

Model: Chateau 31L
THOR #12189
I remember you were looking to boondock in and around TN. I suggest you do not stay at Bass Pro in Memphis. High crime area. Signs in parking lot. Research on web and it'll become apparent.
Old 09-30-2021, 05:34 PM   #19

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
We went to Memphis towing racecar in Oct last year For IHRA World Finals. We were coming from East and followed Google path. Rough roads going in with potholes so big we lost plate off trailer.

On way out from Memphis Motorsports park, local racer said go opposite direction a few miles and you will see route with much better roads. He was right. Track was in NE Memphis area.
Old 09-30-2021, 05:39 PM   #20

THOR #20220
Good advice