Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-10-2019, 06:59 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 30FE
State: Florida
THOR #9950
Smile Cocoa,Fl to San Antonio,Tx

Getting ready to leave this Friday (04-12-19) for San Antonio,Tx.
I just got back on my feet again after battling Throat Cancer and WON the fight. Still have aways to go till I'm 100%.

Anyway , my daughter (and I can't praise her enough, without her I KNOW that I wouldn't be here now) and myself will heading to San Antonio for a "KICKED CANCER"S ASS " party as most of my family lives in Texas. Besides, I haven't been on the road now for some time, time to start traveling again.

Going to take about 4 maybe 5 days travel time. I tell that to most people and they say "why so long". My answer " After Cancer I am taking more time to smell the roses"

Thinking about going to the FMCA rally in Minot, ND in August. Then on to Idaho and down to. " Los Vegas , baby! " This trip will be like a 30 - 45 day run.

Hoping to see ya'll on the road!

Old 04-10-2019, 09:03 PM   #2

Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: Arkansas
THOR #13770
Quote:
Originally Posted by twomccool View Post
I just got back on my feet again after battling Throat Cancer and WON the fight. Still have aways to go till I'm 100%.

Anyway , my daughter (and I can't praise her enough, without her I KNOW that I wouldn't be here now) and myself will heading to San Antonio for a "KICKED CANCER"S ASS " party as most of my family lives in Texas. Besides, I haven't been on the road now for some time, time to start traveling again.

Going to take about 4 maybe 5 days travel time. I tell that to most people and they say "why so long". My answer " After Cancer I am taking more time to smell the roses"

Thinking about going to the FMCA rally in Minot, ND in August. Then on to Idaho and down to. " Los Vegas , baby! " This trip will be like a 30 - 45 day run.

Congrats! I went thru the big CA, my parents & kids kept me motivated & fighting. but I didn't have the mindset to go howl at the moon in victory until I passed my full 5 yrs of checks that the military insisted on. I wish I'd done what you're doing right away instead of jumpin at shadows for 5 additional years. Go Bold - turn Texas inside out with Celebration & Joy! Please tell us all about your adventures from time to time
Old 04-10-2019, 09:17 PM   #3

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #13712
Safe travels and post updates on what you find of interest! We are looking to do a NC to AL to TX, to NV to UT to WA to ND to NY to NC in June/July! Wedding in AL on June 8th, visit a brother at Sheppard AFB in Wichita Falls TX, and have to teach a class in Las Vegas June 24 - 28th. I all goes well when we start, it should be a long run!

Enjoy the journey, one day at a time!
Chuck and Mary Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 09:47 PM   #4

Model: 2016 Axis 25.2
THOR #12340
Congrats on winning the battle.

We just left for FL to TX, to Vegas, to Yellowstone, to Vancouver, to Banff, to Thunder Bay, to Chicago, to VA then home in FL. Should be home by end of August. Then I have to have my other hip replaced.
Old 04-10-2019, 09:58 PM   #5

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #13712
Awesome, send areas that are not to be missed and any issues that we need to be aware of. We already found the License class issue - EVERYONE needs to make sure they have the correct class of license to drive these units. Our dealer said no special license needed, but when you check the weight rating on you standard car operators license we were 4k pound overweight when loaded. IN NC you need a Class "B" for 26001 lbs and over and if you are towing anything that would put you over the 26001 weight. Headed for a written drivers test in the next week with the road test 14 days after the written. Don't get caught under licensed your insure company may not cover any accidents that you are involved in if the police cite you!

Enjoy the journey, one day at a time!
Chuck and Mary Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 07:56 PM   #6

Model: Freedom Elite 30FE
THOR #9950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck and Mary Ann View Post
Awesome, send areas that are not to be missed and any issues that we need to be aware of. We already found the License class issue - EVERYONE needs to make sure they have the correct class of license to drive these units. Our dealer said no special license needed, but when you check the weight rating on you standard car operators license we were 4k pound overweight when loaded. IN NC you need a Class "B" for 26001 lbs and over and if you are towing anything that would put you over the 26001 weight. Headed for a written drivers test in the next week with the road test 14 days after the written. Don't get caught under licensed your insure company may not cover any accidents that you are involved in if the police cite you!
so, you're saying that "we" need a driver's license from every state that "we" travel thru?
Old 04-11-2019, 09:36 PM   #7

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by twomccool View Post

Congratulations on your victory! Cancer sucks out loud. I was lucky they found my bladder cancer very early (and 9 years ago) when I had my enlarged prostate surgery. Who’d have thought I’d be happy about prostate surgery!
I TOTALLY agree about moving slow and smelling the roses. Enjoy every single mile.
Old 04-12-2019, 05:31 PM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
Model: S.O.B.
THOR #14543
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
I was lucky they found my bladder cancer very early (and 9 years ago) when I had my enlarged prostate surgery. Who’d have thought I’d be happy about prostate surgery!
Sounds familiar. My lung cancer was found when I had a CAT scan done during a kidney stone episode. Those $%*#@ kidney stones may have saved my life.

Like the OP, we are tentatively planning a cross country trip, Central Florida to Anaheim CA, taking our good ol' time smelling those amazing roses.
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 08:19 PM   #9

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
It is surprisingly difficult to slow down. I’ve been retired for three years now and trying to slow down but I feel like I’m only now really getting the hang of it. Reading spy novels, driving the speed limit, walking the dog and staying an extra day when camping all take effort. It’s worth it though.
Old 04-12-2019, 10:57 PM   #10

Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: Arkansas
THOR #13770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfla View Post
Sounds familiar. My lung cancer was found when I had a CAT scan done during a kidney stone episode. Those $%*#@ kidney stones may have saved my life.

Like the OP, we are tentatively planning a cross country trip, Central Florida to Anaheim CA, taking our good ol' time smelling those amazing roses.
Yes! Strange unexpected health issues can definitely save lives. I tend to think the Man upstairs sometimes arranges such things. My baby son saved me before he was even born. I was pregnant w/my 3rd son of 4 wonderful sons. I went & had another ultrasound done bc we weren't doing well & they actually thought they may have missed a twin! The tech said he thought he knew why I was so sick & "this isn't all baby here...". They found a tumor in my liver that had grown bigger than my 24 week old unborn son. They tried to get me to abort, said I'd die. I refused. We made it to nearly 30 wks; finally when we were at 8 transfusions of blood a day they said they had to "passively" deliver my son or neither of us would survive. My liver was poisoning us both. Bc of the tumor they couldn't do a speedy c section (afraid of spreadin it to the rest of me), so they induced w/meds. It took 72 hrs, he was jus not ready to come out, & there is Nothing passive about that type of delivery! I wasn't allowed to push & couldnt have anything for pain. I was warned I'd kill us if I pushed bc it would rupture the tumor. Bethesda Naval kept an operating room on stand by the entire miserable time, but w/God's help we made it! The rest of the tumor issue took 5 yrs to resolve (for good, it seems). Navy left a dual diagnosis of hepatacellular carcinoma vs hepatic adenoma (hcc had only a 5% survival rate after resection back then, but I'm still here!). My son is now 19 yrs old, on the autistic spectrum w/ difficulty understanding social nuances & cues (our family jokes he didn't "bake long enuf" & he always grumpilly answers, "that makes no sense, normal people aren't very smart!"), but he's also extremely intelligent & a wonderful young man that I'm very proud of. I learned to never give up, bc where there's life there's hope - & it can be a hard battle to keep that life...