Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-05-2023, 01:35 AM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.3
State: Michigan
THOR #20290
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimiBeth View Post
On a cross country trip we built in travel nights to stopover at a Loves then drive to a campground every other night for two nights. Kept our sanity and allowed for hiccups here & there along the way. Too tight of a schedule is too much pressure!
PS. Cave country campground near Mammouth cave is perfect! Try it!
Your "camp ground plan" is an interesting one. We've debated about making overlapping reservations for the very reason of a snafu that slows us down or the desire to have more time for a newly discovered, last minute gem to visit. I've started paying more attention to where we might find Cracker Barrels along our planned routes. How are the Loves? Is there a lot of overnight noise and traffic or is it not too bad?

We have a couple of days at the NP campground reserved.We are looking forward to just being able to park the rig and have less than a 15 minute walk to the visitor center and other amenities.

Old 03-05-2023, 03:07 PM   #42

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #13816
Like LT and many others we always start with the destination and work backwards. I use a combination of RV Trip Wizard, the KOA website, and Garmin Base Camp to research stops, and then once it’s finalized I plug it into my Garmin Base Camp to transfer to our Garmin RV GPS. I also use trip advisor to some extent. We like KOAs for one night stopovers because it’s usually easy to cancel or change dates. With that said, we have also used private campgrounds and state parks for one night stopovers.

We did South Carolina and Georgia last year, and we really enjoyed it. Huntington Beach State Park was a highlight as well as James Island County Park. It was beautiful and centrally located to everything in and around Charleston, Folly Beach, etc. We leave our return trip open in case we see something we want to visit on our return trip.

Make certain to eat at the Charleston Crab House on Market Street. The steamed Dungeness crab was delicious! I hope you have a wonderful trip!

Pam
Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer, Koni shocks
Pabs4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 03:32 PM   #43

Model: 31W
State: Oklahoma
THOR #29120
Bummer!
Papa_Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 10:06 PM   #44

THOR #20290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabs4 View Post
Like LT and many others we always start with the destination and work backwards. I use a combination of RV Trip Wizard, the KOA website, and Garmin Base Camp to research stops, and then once it’s finalized I plug it into my Garmin Base Camp to transfer to our Garmin RV GPS. I also use trip advisor to some extent. We like KOAs for one night stopovers because it’s usually easy to cancel or change dates. With that said, we have also used private campgrounds and state parks for one night stopovers.

We did South Carolina and Georgia last year, and we really enjoyed it. Huntington Beach State Park was a highlight as well as James Island County Park. It was beautiful and centrally located to everything in and around Charleston, Folly Beach, etc. We leave our return trip open in case we see something we want to visit on our return trip.

Make certain to eat at the Charleston Crab House on Market Street. The steamed Dungeness crab was delicious! I hope you have a wonderful trip!

Pam
Thanks for the tips and the thumbs up on those SC campgrounds. We have several nights booked at each. We have to move sites each night, but it's a small concession. Also thanks for the word on the restaurant. Although we usually cook most of our own meals, we are certainly planning to have some local seafood too.The Gullah "cuisine" sounds intriguing. No better place than locally to try that out. I hear there are some authentic sources down around Beaufort and Edisto Island, where we will also spend a few days.

Now that it all looks like it will work out, we are getting quite excited for this trip. We did OBX and Ocracoke last spring and had an absolutely fabulous time and some great seafood there too.

We are thinking Savannah, Tybee, and St Augustine for next spring maybe. I'll certainly be making key reservations a lot earlier than I did for this trip.
Old 03-05-2023, 10:06 PM   #45

THOR #20290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Bud View Post
Bummer!
???
Old 03-18-2023, 03:37 AM   #46

State: South Carolina
THOR #22342
Try and book Fort Cinch...it takes a yr to get one day....and yes...its raining tomorrow, SC has some nice spots in Huntington Beach, Myrtle. I now book Daytona Race 1 yr out for the next yr. I wont give up the space on the beach, I wonder if there is a way to sublease a spot out, if i dont use it.

I wont give up my spot in my RV park, gravel, AC hookup... Park is full....

For next Dec.. I booked St Augustine for the month. I booked it on our New Years Eve stay. I am finding, you need to book the spot.. one yr in advance. Just the way it is.

They said this would get better after COVID and all the new RV purchased in 2020 would soon be up for sale. I haven't seen either. Keep on trying and find your favorite spot and enjoy it.

Next month back to Flagler Gamble Rogers, Hurricane Ian wiped out alot of beach, so it will be interesting to see if the sea side has been repaired.