Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-08-2022, 02:49 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37 GT
State: North Carolina
THOR #7843
2014.5 Thor Challenger Engine

2014.5 Thor Challenger 6.8 liter 30 valve with balance shaft.

Hello, the engine in my 2014.5 thor Challenger started having trouble and is now has been in the shop since Sept. 3rd 2021. One delay after another and I'm running out of patients and in need of some advice and information.
The engine went into low power mode after the exhaust manifold broke a bolt. Things went down hill from there. It turns out I lost compression on number 1 and 3 cylinders. There is scaring on the cylinder walls. The timing chain slipped a notch, I guess a tooth broke (I'm not sure of their explanation) but OK, they replaced the timing chain. Then it was the lifters, then it was number 10 cylinder lost compression. The Valves went in there somewhere but I don't exactly remember the rest of the trouble, but each time the Good Sam Extended Warranty had the shop take the engine apart and put it back together each time, ARE WE HAVING FUN YET?!!!!!
Currently the engine is out and I am waiting on the THIRD Engine to be shipped out. The first one was the wrong engine, the second was just the short block. Now this one I'm told will be here on the 9th of march. They had the engine but had the wrong pistons for the motorhome and had to change them. (So many questions!)
First the VIN number is a Y not an S. I think the Y and the 2015 is the difference in engine, this has the 30 valve with the balance shaft.
Let me just list my questions in no particular order, if that's OK.
The motor home is a 2014.5, they changed the body and engine between the 2014 and 2015, I guess this is one of the first 2015's all the specs line up with the 2015.
1. Is there a difference in the pistons for the motorhome?
2. What should I be watching for to make sure the correct engine goes back in?
3. With the warranty company having them take it apart and put it back together again so many times, do they pay for each time? Each time the shop was told to take it apart and put it back together, not sure why,
4. What would be my best approach to have my MH towed to a different shop? I really don't want to end up with finger pointing if I have further trouble with the engine (you know the old they did that not us routine!).
Honestly I have so many more questions but I'm so aggravated right now I can't remember them all! lol So I may be updating this quite often. After 6 months of not having my Motorhome and not being able to go south for the winter, I'm just ready for this to be over!!!
Any advise and /or info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Don

Old 03-08-2022, 07:27 PM   #2

Model: Challenger
State: Maryland
THOR #25281
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
2014.5 Thor Challenger 6.8 liter 30 valve with balance shaft.

Hello, the engine in my 2014.5 thor Challenger started having trouble and is now has been in the shop since Sept. 3rd 2021. One delay after another and I'm running out of patients and in need of some advice and information.
The engine went into low power mode after the exhaust manifold broke a bolt. Things went down hill from there. It turns out I lost compression on number 1 and 3 cylinders. There is scaring on the cylinder walls. The timing chain slipped a notch, I guess a tooth broke (I'm not sure of their explanation) but OK, they replaced the timing chain. Then it was the lifters, then it was number 10 cylinder lost compression. The Valves went in there somewhere but I don't exactly remember the rest of the trouble, but each time the Good Sam Extended Warranty had the shop take the engine apart and put it back together each time, ARE WE HAVING FUN YET?!!!!!
Currently the engine is out and I am waiting on the THIRD Engine to be shipped out. The first one was the wrong engine, the second was just the short block. Now this one I'm told will be here on the 9th of march. They had the engine but had the wrong pistons for the motorhome and had to change them. (So many questions!)
First the VIN number is a Y not an S. I think the Y and the 2015 is the difference in engine, this has the 30 valve with the balance shaft.
Let me just list my questions in no particular order, if that's OK.
The motor home is a 2014.5, they changed the body and engine between the 2014 and 2015, I guess this is one of the first 2015's all the specs line up with the 2015.
1. Is there a difference in the pistons for the motorhome?
2. What should I be watching for to make sure the correct engine goes back in?
3. With the warranty company having them take it apart and put it back together again so many times, do they pay for each time? Each time the shop was told to take it apart and put it back together, not sure why,
4. What would be my best approach to have my MH towed to a different shop? I really don't want to end up with finger pointing if I have further trouble with the engine (you know the old they did that not us routine!).
Honestly I have so many more questions but I'm so aggravated right now I can't remember them all! lol So I may be updating this quite often. After 6 months of not having my Motorhome and not being able to go south for the winter, I'm just ready for this to be over!!!
Any advise and /or info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Don
Hi sir, kinda sounds like your getting taken for a ride. Engine just dont lose compression in different cylinders at different times unless like you said the timing chain gear broke a tooth and some of the valves were bent in the process. I don't know why they have to keep tearing the engine down and fixing things. Sounds like if it were a competent shop all of these issues should have been found the first time. When an engine jumps timing depending upon what type of engine we are talking about there is a good chance that valves could be bent because of this. Not sure if this is the case with yours or not but it certainly sounds like it because of the compression issues you stated. How many miles were on your original engine? Taking the rv to another shop when its already in pieces is going to be both hard and expensive as most shops don't want to delve into what some other shop has screwed up, this is where it gets really expensive as the other shop would need to pick up the pieces. Sorry your having all of these issues but after the first tear down and not fixing all of the issues it probably would have been best to take it somewhere else. Where is the rv currently? This way everyone else on this forum knows not to go there. Good luck and let us know how everything turns out
Old 03-08-2022, 07:56 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
There are at least 2 versions of the V10. The 305hp for the E series and the 362hp which you should have.

I had a Jul 2014 built 2015 Challenger and had no issues with the engine.

Is your rig at a Ford shop or somewhere else?
Old 03-09-2022, 01:45 PM   #4

Model: 34E Hurricane
State: Michigan
THOR #25490
Wow - what a mess. First, this is a dual OH cam engine, chain drive system, so if it jumped valve timing on one bank, then all of those cylinder on that bank would be low or no compression. If it jumped time on both chains, then the entire engine would exhibit low or no compression. Timing chains are not selective to a cylinder. and not prone to slipping timing (breaking maybe, slip timing, not really). Based on what your saying, the shop could use a check up from the neck up. I am not aware of different pistons since a 6.8L is a shared short block with different heads depending on application. Now, maybe, the exchange engine is universal to the 6.8L engine family and cuts across a wide range of model years, maybe the piston domes might be different but still acceptable? But the short block I believe is the same sans (maybe - but not sure) any piston flycuts for valves. What was not shared was exactly who is supplying the engine? An aftermarket rebuilder or Ford service parts.

I have a ton more questions but maybe it is time for a frank conversation with the shop owner and insurance agent. And I would want to know if the tech is ASE certified and it better be in engine repair and fuel injection and emissions. Just my two cents.
Old 03-10-2022, 01:16 PM   #5

THOR #7843
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigd853 View Post
Hi sir, kinda sounds like your getting taken for a ride. Engine just dont lose compression in different cylinders at different times unless like you said the timing chain gear broke a tooth and some of the valves were bent in the process. I don't know why they have to keep tearing the engine down and fixing things. Sounds like if it were a competent shop all of these issues should have been found the first time. When an engine jumps timing depending upon what type of engine we are talking about there is a good chance that valves could be bent because of this. Not sure if this is the case with yours or not but it certainly sounds like it because of the compression issues you stated. How many miles were on your original engine? Taking the rv to another shop when its already in pieces is going to be both hard and expensive as most shops don't want to delve into what some other shop has screwed up, this is where it gets really expensive as the other shop would need to pick up the pieces. Sorry your having all of these issues but after the first tear down and not fixing all of the issues it probably would have been best to take it somewhere else. Where is the rv currently? This way everyone else on this forum knows not to go there. Good luck and let us know how everything turns out

I agree it is not really an option to take it else where. In the shops defense (which don't really change anything) I do understand some of the delays, however not diagnosing the trouble upfront seems sketchy.

The shop is one I have been to before and I have not had any thing like this happen before, and I don't think he is doing anything on purpose, I just want to be certain I'm not over reacting and to get some ideas of what my options might be, intentional or not, I want my MH back and this needs to end!

I'll keep you posted
Thanks

Dono
Old 03-10-2022, 01:21 PM   #6

THOR #7843
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
There are at least 2 versions of the V10. The 305hp for the E series and the 362hp which you should have.

I had a Jul 2014 built 2015 Challenger and had no issues with the engine.

Is your rig at a Ford shop or somewhere else?

My rig is at a local shop, Is there an easy way to verify the correct engine was sent? What should I look for? The engine place told the shop they had to change the pistons out because the ones that was in there were the wrong ones. Is that what makes the difference in the hp?

Thanks for the help
Don
Old 03-10-2022, 01:42 PM   #7

THOR #7843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sappy2 View Post
Wow - what a mess. First, this is a dual OH cam engine, chain drive system, so if it jumped valve timing on one bank, then all of those cylinder on that bank would be low or no compression. If it jumped time on both chains, then the entire engine would exhibit low or no compression. Timing chains are not selective to a cylinder. and not prone to slipping timing (breaking maybe, slip timing, not really). Based on what your saying, the shop could use a check up from the neck up. I am not aware of different pistons since a 6.8L is a shared short block with different heads depending on application. Now, maybe, the exchange engine is universal to the 6.8L engine family and cuts across a wide range of model years, maybe the piston domes might be different but still acceptable? But the short block I believe is the same sans (maybe - but not sure) any piston flycuts for valves. What was not shared was exactly who is supplying the engine? An aftermarket rebuilder or Ford service parts.

I have a ton more questions but maybe it is time for a frank conversation with the shop owner and insurance agent. And I would want to know if the tech is ASE certified and it better be in engine repair and fuel injection and emissions. Just my two cents.

I did have a frank conversation with the owner. Some of the delays I do understand, he was shut down due to having covid, a shortage of help and of course all the shortage of parts and could not find the engine. The first one he found took 7 weeks to get here only to find out it wasn't the correct one. At the time of each delay it did make sense and I do understand but that doesn't change the fact that I still need my rig back!!!

The new engine is going to be here on Thursday the 10th or so they say. The next step will be with the warranty company and an attorney, (for all the good that will do). So far I do think that the owner is doing what he can, and I think he is willing to work with me which ever way I decide to go. There are delays with shipping and it was very hard to find a new engine. ( I know this because I looked and called around my self) so some of the delays I can understand but that don't help anything.

I will keep you posted and once it is all worked out I will post all the info on here so hopefully this won't happen to others.

Thanks
Don
Old 03-13-2022, 03:05 PM   #8

Model: Tuscany 40ex
State: Ohio
THOR #12726
Wow sounds like maybe when they replaced the timing chain it didn’t get timed correctly and bent some valves, wasn’t any compression problems before, second there are differences between position skirting and bearing for lubrication and heat dissipation on heavy duty applications, and as many times that the engine was torn down I would be really concerned, I would call my extended warranty company and tell them your concerns and maybe go to the bbb and depending on the state your in the insurance regulatory agency as they control insurance companies ability to do business, I would recommend getting your mh out of there and take it to a authorized and reputable shop
Old 07-13-2022, 12:14 PM   #9

THOR #7843
Well it finally happened!

I can't believe my eyes! Finally have my motorhome back. After so many ups and downs, it is sitting back in my yard. Wow, it only took 319 days, that has to be some sort of record??? (not one I want to do again though!)

Now we see how good the Good Sam extended warranty is.

Thanks for the all the comments they were very helpful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Motor home engine back together.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	38669