Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-09-2023, 11:36 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Water getting into left rear compartment on ACE 30.3

I am investigating to find the source of water getting into the large left rear compartment. The coach is currently parked in my driveway for some maintenance and modification projects, plugged in to keep the batteries maintained but not connected to water and pump off.

About a week ago I noticed water on the ribbed floor of the compartment. This was just after storms with heavy rain passed. My first thought was that I may have left the door closed but unlatched so I dried the water out it was only 8 or 10 OZ. Then over the weekend we got another round of storms with heavy rain. Since I knew about the storm coming, I Made sure to Latch and lock that door. When I checked the next day there was more water in the compartment. Again, not much water. I this point my working hypothesis is that the front edge of the door is not completely sealed, and water is pushed past the door. Other things to consider,
1. Bedroom slide which is over the rear compartment was also open,
2. The left side of the coach was facing the wind direction,
wind from the north, left side of coach facing north.
3. The water appears clean.
4. Plumbing not pressurized so unlikely from Water system.
5. Nearest tanks above the wet bay just forward of the bay shipping water. the tanks in question are the black and gray tanks. Remember water is clean with no odor.
6. No water found in wet bay.
7. Water observed only after storms.
8. Coach is parked in my driveway on a slight uphill with the front higher than the rear.
9. Water found only at the uphill end of the storage compartment.

Finally, here is my question. Has anyone else with an ACE 30.3 found water in the rear compartment? If so, have you been able to identify the leak source and what have you done to correct the problem?.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 11:40 PM   #2

Model: Challenger
State: Maryland
THOR #25281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-sr@perra-us.net View Post
I am investigating to find the source of water getting into the large left rear compartment. The coach is currently parked in my driveway for some maintenance and modification projects, plugged in to keep the batteries maintained but not connected to water and pump off.

About a week ago I noticed water on the ribbed floor of the compartment. This was just after storms with heavy rain passed. My first thought was that I may have left the door closed but unlatched so I dried the water out it was only 8 or 10 OZ. Then over the weekend we got another round of storms with heavy rain. Since I knew about the storm coming, I Made sure to Latch and lock that door. When I checked the next day there was more water in the compartment. Again, not much water. I this point my working hypothesis is that the front edge of the door is not completely sealed, and water is pushed past the door. Other things to consider,
1. Bedroom slide which is over the rear compartment was also open,
2. The left side of the coach was facing the wind direction,
wind from the north, left side of coach facing north.
3. The water appears clean.
4. Plumbing not pressurized so unlikely from Water system.
5. Nearest tanks above the wet bay just forward of the bay shipping water. the tanks in question are the black and gray tanks. Remember water is clean with no odor.
6. No water found in wet bay.
7. Water observed only after storms.
8. Coach is parked in my driveway on a slight uphill with the front higher than the rear.
9. Water found only at the uphill end of the storage compartment.

Finally, here is my question. Has anyone else with an ACE 30.3 found water in the rear compartment? If so, have you been able to identify the leak source and what have you done to correct the problem?.
If there are shims on the latch side where the door closes remove one of them to create a tighter seal for the door. Good luck
Old 05-10-2023, 11:56 PM   #3

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Baby powder and water in a spray bottle. Spray as a mist that doesn't run.
Easy.
When water dries everything will have a thin white coat of talcum.
New water intrusion will leave runs and paths exactly where its from to exactly where it ends.
Easy.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 10:58 PM   #4

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Ontario
THOR #8849
The gasget on my right rear storage door has a small compression defect from closing the key lock improperly. water enters in a similar manner. I sealed the door gap with electrical tape to prove to my self the gasget was the problem.
Just a suggestion...
Rick