Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-24-2020, 10:35 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: South Carolina
THOR #18946
Battery Store/Use issue

I've seen this issue all over this board, read all the answers and am still baffled.

Thor Freedom Elite 22.5 2014
Cabin power works perfectly when plugged into shore or on gen. Zero power when not. Switch is in USE position. I spent literally 5 hours crawling in, under, over, and through every inch I can think of to find the infamous reset switch. Can't find it. Took out every drawer, removed panels and physically inspected every linear inch of wiring from the stairwell switch to the converter and battery compartment to converter...no reset switch. Pics below show what I see behind the converter.

Checked the chassis engine compartment for that little grey box with reset switch some of you have mentioned. I'm ready to throw myself into moving traffic.

Please help!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200524_130925.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	163.7 KB
ID:	23895   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200524_130930.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	23896  

Old 05-24-2020, 11:04 PM   #2

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools View Post
I've seen this issue all over this board, read all the answers and am still baffled.

Cabin power works perfectly when plugged into shore or on gen. Zero power when not. Switch is in USE position. I spent literally 5 hours crawling in, under, over, and through every inch I can think of to find the infamous reset switch. Can't find it. Took out every drawer, removed panels and physically inspected every linear inch of wiring from the stairwell switch to the converter and battery compartment to converter...no reset switch. Pics below show what I see behind the converter.

Checked the chassis engine compartment for that little grey box with reset switch some of you have mentioned. I'm ready to throw myself into moving traffic.

Please help!!!
What are you calling Cabin Power? 12 volts? 120 volt? Reset switch for what?
Old 05-24-2020, 11:07 PM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
When you switch from store to use, do you hear the clunk of the solenoid? In my coach, I have a number of these circuit breakers in the battery compartment. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F76VJKQ...5&ref=aa_scomp The yellow flag pointing down means it has been popped, push it up to reset.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 12:15 AM   #4

THOR #18946
No clunk, no nothing...and none of those breakers that I can find. Again, I spent.literally 5 hours looking.
Old 05-25-2020, 12:17 AM   #5

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Welcome to the forum. I am not familiar with your coach specifically, but I can tell you that the use/store latching relay is shown clearly in your bottom picture (and less so in the upper picture) of your post.

If you are not getting 12vdc from the coach batteries through to the DC fuse panel (which is also tied to output of the converter), then it is possible that the batteries are dead; the use/store latching relay is not closed (not operated to on); the 50 amp mini breaker is tripped open; or there is a bad connection at any of the wiring connections of these mentioned devices to the DC fuse panel. If you can trace the 12vdc output cable from the converter it should go to either the latching relay or the mini breaker first. Your pictures show the latch relay at the back of the converter......but carefully trace the 12vdc power cable as far as you can and with luck the mini breaker will be in series feeding your coach batteries.......somewhere in that series circuit.

The mini breaker can be located anywhere.....near the converter output/DC fuse panel; near the latching relay; or near the coach batteries. In my coach it is located in the BCC (battery control cabinet) mounted in the engine bay of all places. Sometimes a call to Thor tech support will get you to the location.....but that assumes the assembly line worker put it in some “standard” location. Every same model/year coach seems to be built with “variations” at the discretion of the workers. Perhaps someone with your specific coach and breaker location info will reply.

In the mean time a couple pictures that show a “generic” schematic of the DC battery charge circuits (right side is your latching relay and 50 amp mini breaker (they can be order reversed). Another picture shows the mini breaker located close to the output of the converter (black arrow in picture) under the bed in someone else’s coach. The mini breakers are physically not very big and the reset button on the breaker is very small as well. Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Basic Generic Battery Schematic.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	23898   Click image for larger version

Name:	Converter to Coach Battery CCT Breaker.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	23899  

Old 05-25-2020, 12:29 AM   #6
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
If your battery is under the stairs, if you haven't done so, move the battery and look all around it for the 50 amp breaker. Many class c coaches around the 2014 and 2015 timeframe had the breakers installed behind the battery and if the battery moved slightly it would trip the breaker. Owners would have fits trying to figure out what happened to their 12VDC power. Some owners found it difficult to find the breaker because the yellow button and flag got painted with black paint when the battery box was painted.

You can always call Thor and ask them where they installed the breaker on your model coach.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 12:37 AM   #7

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
I did not see your last post before posting my own. If you do not hear the use/store latching relay clunk when it operates or releases then maybe you have found your issue. It is the device labelled RV Custom Product in your bottom picture. They can fail open or closed.....also the latch relay "operating circuit" can fail too. Use your voltmeter (all RVers should have a multimeter) and check voltages. Converter output should be about 13.1 DC or higher on shore power; while coach battery (wet cell) 12.6vdc is the typical full charge value. If the latch relay is operated "on" (and closed) you should see the converter output voltage value on both main contacts (large red wires terminate on the latch relay main contacts typically).
Old 05-25-2020, 01:07 AM   #8
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Have you measured your house battery voltage? Your latching relay needs power from the house batteries to switch to use.

If you house battery voltage is over 12 VDC next check both sides of the latching relay to ground with the RV plugged into SP:

You should have 13 VDC or more on the converter side and the same as house battery voltage on the other side. If you do not see house battery voltage on one side then you have an open circuit between the house batteries and the latching relay; most likely caused by the circuit breaker Lt Keefer posted being tripped. This is probably what you are calling the "reset switch". It is a breaker, not a switch and breakers do need to be reset when tripped.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 01:40 AM   #9

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
Try starting the motorhome and then switch from store to use. See what happens.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 02:02 AM   #10

THOR #18950
This is great, and we will try:

If you house battery voltage is over 12 VDC next check both sides of the latching relay to ground with the RV plugged into SP:

You should have 13 VDC or more on the converter side and the same as house battery voltage on the other side. If you do not see house battery voltage on one side then you have an open circuit between the house batteries and the latching relay; most likely caused by the circuit breaker Lt Keefer posted being tripped. This is probably what you are calling the "reset switch". It is a breaker, not a switch and breakers do need to be reset when tripped.[/QUOTE]
Old 05-25-2020, 08:05 PM   #11

THOR #18946
Found it!!!

After a total of about 8 hours searching every nook and cranny I could think of, and being on the verge of throwing myself in front of a moving bus, I finally called a professional who came out and found it in about 10 minutes. It is a tiny little switch under the thin drawer below the stove. Slide the drawer out push the little reset button, and let there be light.

Why on Earth they wouldn't put that switch next to the batteries or next to the converter is simply beyond me. But now we know.

Thanks for the input everyone.
Old 05-25-2020, 08:18 PM   #12

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
wow
that's good news. Never a shortage of things that can only make a person wonder....
Old 05-25-2020, 09:07 PM   #13
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Glad to know that your issue has been solved!
Those Thor engineers must be experts at "Hide & Seek".,,
Old 05-26-2020, 02:03 AM   #14

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Glad it is resolved, but it sure would be nice to see pictures of the thin drawer tiny itty bitty weenzie switch you refer to. I almost went looking for a bus just reading your problem
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 05:35 AM   #15

THOR #18950
Resolution pic tomorrow

I will take a pic tomorrow, to help others here. Honestly, if we had seen you all's posts sooner we may have known what to look for. For me the key was not the red button, bit the red "flag" or tag located at each point (isolator, bcc, and breaker). Again will post. Ps, our rig was a previous rental so that may have actually helped in our case. Not sure they flag all rigs this way or even if this is a flag. Will post in daylight.
Old 05-29-2020, 09:57 PM   #16

THOR #18950
Here's the promised pics. I hope this helps someone! Rhw attachments all uploaded uoside down, so shared the google album in case.
But the brown (ugly) tile is the floor!!
Breaker was under bottom drawer under stove.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200529_140110.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	23984   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200529_140118.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	23985  

Name:	20200529_140123.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	23986   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200529_140128.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	23987  

Old 05-29-2020, 10:12 PM   #17

Model: Thor four winds SF 35
THOR #13025
I have the same issue. Can’t find the breaker to reset it. I’ve looked everywhere and Thor was of no help. If anyone know where the reset is located in 2017 Thor four winds sf35 super c, I would love to hear from you.
Old 05-29-2020, 10:17 PM   #18

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariemarko View Post
Here's the promised pics. I hope this helps someone! Rhw attachments all uploaded uoside down, so shared the google album in case.
But the brown (ugly) tile is the floor!!
Breaker was under bottom drawer under stove.
Looks like had you simply drank 6 beers, bumped your head while falling, then pulled the bottom drawer out while you were trying to get up; only to fall back down again; with the upside down view, you would have seen that breaker in no time
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 11:50 PM   #19

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools View Post

Please help!!!
In the RV world "Power" refers to 120 volts. You are not looking for a reset switch. You are looking for a 12 volt resetable inline fuse. usually found within 6' of the battery. It may have a small button on the side. It may have a larger lever handle. Your's happens to be in a VERY strange place.
Old 05-30-2020, 01:20 AM   #20

THOR #18950
Lmfao, give me time, friend! Lol