Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-29-2023, 09:13 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds
State: Colorado
THOR #17966
New Flooring

I want to remove the carpet and replace the flooring. I see some use peal and stick vinyl plank and some use floating click lock vinyl. Is there a standard for the manufacturers? I was thinking 4 mm peal and stick vinyl would work. Does anyone have any opinions?

I plan to pull the dinette seats and couch out for access.

Is there anything else I should watch out for?

Thanks
Bruce

Old 03-29-2023, 09:54 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Georgetown 31L5
State: Ohio
THOR #6277
Without proof of any sort one way or another, I'd be concerned about temperature extremes affecting the adhesion of the tiles. At a minimum, I would do an internet search - one source I read said to add extra adhesive to counter the temperature variations in a typical RV.
Old 03-30-2023, 01:46 AM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
The floor covering in our 2020 is evidently only glued at the edges. I got word directly from Thor that it's not glued to allow for expansion/contraction with extreme temperature changes.

After one season, ours developed a slight bubble in the middle of the floor which never completely goes away... not bad, but irritating. Honestly, I'm not sure I 100% believe that story... it might just be a CYA because of a shoddy rushed glue job.

That said, I don't think I'd use individual stick-down floor tiles. I'm sure temperature extremes do affect vinyl, and I'll bet the adhesive on Big Box flooring isn't intended for RV use... which might void a warrant.