Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-21-2022, 04:02 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: British Columbia
THOR #2763
Electric steps rusted stuck!

Hi RVers, after sitting on the sidelines for the past couple of years we are dusting off our baby and getting her back on the road. The problem o’ the day is this: the Kwikee electric steps are stuck at the partway open mark.

I did a bunch of research online, slithered under the rig and disconnected the motor from the steps. Still no movement, even with the motor’s arm with the cotter pin removed from the main rail. Everything I’ve seen says disconnecting the steps from the motor assembly should have let me push my steps up manually and tie them up until I can get it into a shop.

I’ve wiggled under that rig more times now than I can count. My conclusion is that two of the steps’ pivot points are rusted to the point where they are stuck. (I can move the washers between every other pivot point except for those two, which is how I reached that conclusion… oh yeah, plus I see the rust!). I’ve sprayed everything with penetrating lubricant over and over and over and over, and tapped all the connection points with a hammer to loosen any rust or debris. Still no joy. Tried three different penetrating lubricants so far, so I don’t think it’s a “magic product” solution.

Any advice would be gratefully received!

Old 08-21-2022, 05:35 PM   #2

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
If the steps are in fact Kwikee (now owned by Lippert) then the attached Kwikee owners manual might be useful in determining all pivot points and where to “normally” lubricate (look under maintenance section for diagrams of pivot points)......since that is likely where the rust is now preventing normal smooth function of the steps. You should be able to manually move the steps when the motor arm is completely disconnected from the step unit. If the usual rust sprays don’t work to free up the steps you might need an actual rust remover to be applied onto the frozen joints. Since you are in BC you could try Evapo-rust from Princess Auto if one is close by you (I read that it is very good, but have not used it personally). It is a bit pricey and might only come in a gallon container, but it might break down the layers of rust enough to free the step motion so you can get proper lubrication back into the appropriate bearings etc. This assumes the step has not been bent by hitting a curb etc of course. Others may have experience with Evapo-rust or some other cheaper rust remover.
Old 08-21-2022, 05:41 PM   #3

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Apparently the small version Kwikee PDF I was trying to attach to my previous note is still too large. So check under Maintenance lubrication on the attached link.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/12...wikee-888.html
Old 08-21-2022, 05:46 PM   #4

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Was PB Blaster one of the penetrants you tried?

If so, give it 24 hours minimum

Use a dead blow or brass hammer to tap the area where the seized pivot point while providing pressure to move should help as well

Prior to spraying or applying anything give the area a good wire brushing best as you can to the visible surface
Old 08-21-2022, 05:59 PM   #5

THOR #2763
Many thanks to both of you!

I did already download the Kwikee operator’s manual, thanks, and have lubricated the flippin’ heck out of all the recommended points. I did not, though, realize there was a difference between penetrating oil and rust remover. You learn something every day (why I love this forum!). So thanks for that, there is a Princess Auto within range and I will see what I can find for rust remover tomorrow.

And although I’ve been pushing and pulling at the step and tapping the points with a hammer, I never thought to do them at the same time. I’ll try that too.

It did cross my mind to whack the damn thing with a sledgehammer at one point, but that seemed like a poor choice so sensible has prevailed for a change. I have been using PB as one of the penetrating lubricants and have been at it for about four days now, three or four times per day. According to my back, it’s been a lifetime but that’s another story.

I’ll report back on success or lack thereof!
Old 08-21-2022, 07:45 PM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Did you call Kwikee?

They seem to be one of those few companies that actually answer the phone and /or return calls for support. I had a random electrical problem while under warranty that the dealer could not resolve. I called Kwikee directly and they patiently walked me through a number of steps. They actually showed me how to make it work bypassing the coach's wiring and proved it was not their part and the issue was with Coach's wiring. Even so, they sent me a brand new motor just in case Months later after dealer charged me a check out fee because the random issue did not occur, I was on my own. After a lot of trial and error I found a pin in a 9 pin connector behind the breaker panel that was not inserted fully with it's female part

My point is that you might get a phone step by step next time under that coach. They may know a trick or short cut.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 07:56 PM   #7

THOR #2763
Someone who actually helps you? Good golly! I thought those days were done….

I may try Kwikee tomorrow, thanks.
Old 08-21-2022, 08:43 PM   #8

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
If you still can't get them to open up, the entire step assembly can be removed and taken out to the bench to work on. It has 4 bolts with washers that hold it in place under the coach. I had a motor freeze up and could not get to the cotter pin to remove it and open the steps so I could remove the motor. I had to remove the steps in order to reach in and remove the cotter pin. Once I removed the motor I was able to test it and found that it has become stuck in the closed position.

Remember to completely disconnect ALL power to the steps/motor before reaching into the steps. That motor has a lot of torque and can do some damage to your fingers if it decides to suddenly operate again.

Paul
Old 08-23-2022, 02:24 AM   #9

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
If these parts will help you I’d be happy to sell both items for $75 (for both) shipping included. I had issues with my kwikee steps and bought these parts to carry in my “spares bag”. But I’ve since sold my coach - downsized to a class B - and I’m trying to thin down the supplies. Have a bunch of water heater parts too..!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4111.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	39210
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4132.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	39211
Old 08-23-2022, 03:48 PM   #10

THOR #2763
Hooray, we are unstuck!

I wish I could take the credit… we took the rig in yesterday for new tires and asked the nice fella at the desk if his guys could take a look at our rusted step joint at the same time. He basically told me not to get my hopes up, but they came through! (Shout out here to Firestone Tires in Sidney BC for the terrific service!)

He had one guy under the rig spraying each pivot point with “ChemLoose” while a second one was triggering the door and pushing or pulling the step. On every single joint. And they didn’t charge us for the time to do that.

Now if I could only find “ChemLoose” (made by Neochem) for retail. It looks like it’s only available to the trades. He did mention that the stuff is expensive, but said it comes through for them every time.

Anyway, many thanks to all of you for your advice. Now I am gonna keep all those points lubed going forward!
Old 08-23-2022, 05:19 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Congratulations!
Those Guys really "Stepped" up to the plate for you: didn't they?
A Box of cookies should suffice...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 05:28 PM   #12

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Congratulations!
Those Guys really "Stepped" up to the plate for you: didn't they?
A Box of cookies should suffice...
And was Kwikee about it
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 06:52 PM   #13

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Sounds like great customer service. It is nice hear stories like that one for a change.

Paul
Old 08-24-2022, 02:59 PM   #14

THOR #2763
Yowza! The least I could do is name them correctly… it was Fountain Tire, not Firestone.

And cookies sounds like a plan for sure!