Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-11-2023, 02:38 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New Mexico
THOR #29117
Lithium Conversion?

Good morning, i have a 2019 Thor Palazzo 37.4, i would like to convert to the lithium ion batteries. I was told i would have to change out the charge controller, install something from my alternator for charging as well as the touch screen controller inside doesn't give an offering to choose Lithium Ion. If there is a thread already, please direct me and i will read up. Thanks

Old 11-11-2023, 03:14 PM   #2

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Without going into the specifics, changing to 200 amp hours of Li batteries is going to cost you a minimum of $700 for the batteries, $300 to change your converter/charger to an Li compatible one and $200 to replace your house/chassis battery management system with a Li BIM 225 to protect your alternator. Add another $1,000 for installation, unless you are a real DIYer.

So is a cost of more than $2,000 worth it?

Other things you can do more cheaply to get more dry camping time include doubling your current house batteries with a like kind and/or adding solar panels.

David
Old 11-11-2023, 03:38 PM   #3

Model: Vegas 25.6
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
Without going into the specifics, changing to 200 amp hours of Li batteries is going to cost you a minimum of $700 for the batteries, $300 to change your converter/charger to an Li compatible one and $200 to replace your house/chassis battery management system with a Li BIM 225 to protect your alternator. Add another $1,000 for installation, unless you are a real DIYer.

Other things you can do more cheaply to get more dry camping time include doubling your current house batteries with a like kind and/or adding solar panels.

David
Cost not worth it to us.
We dry camp a lot.
2 Group 31 AGM & 180 watt solar.
Zero issues
Old 11-11-2023, 04:41 PM   #4

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
Cost not worth it to us.
We dry camp a lot.
2 Group 31 AGM & 180 watt solar.
Zero issues
Me too. I have 200 Ahs of AGMs and 100 watts of solar, but the solar is rarely useful because we camp in shady sites.

I use 25-35 Ahs daily depending on furnace use if is cold or fan use if it is warm or nothing if it is in between. That means I can go three days and stay within the recommended 50% SOC limit for AGMs. But if I needed to go a few more days I would knowing that I just reduced the life of my batteries by less than a percent so no big deal.

Li batteries are not for all and probably only for a few.

David
Old 11-11-2023, 05:48 PM   #5

Model: Vegas 25.6
THOR #20220
Quote:
Me too. I have 200 Ahs of AGMs and 100 watts of solar, but the solar is rarely useful because we camp in shady sites.

I use 25-35 Ahs daily depending on furnace use if is cold or fan use if it is warm or nothing if it is in between. That means I can go three days and stay within the recommended 50% SOC limit for AGMs. But if I needed to go a few more days I would knowing that I just reduced the life of my batteries by less than a percent so no big deal.

Li batteries are not for all and probably only for a few.

David
As others here have helped us with the AGS System to automatically start and let it go
Old 11-11-2023, 06:30 PM   #6

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
3-SOK 100Ah LiFePO4 batteries
LiBIM-225
Charger/Inverter
3-200 watt solar panels
40 amp MPPT charge controller
Victron Lynx Power In module
Associated cables, fuses, etc.

Self-installed... <> $4,000

I challenge anyone to do that for less $.

Not cheap. But for us it was the MINIMUM to allow us nearly unlimited off grid power for boondocking for our style of glamping. Note... WILL NOT effective run A/C for an appreciable length of time.

Quiet was our goal. Anything less would have required being addicted to firing up the generator every morning to replenish batteries. 300Ah gives up enough reserve through the night... until the sun starts hitting the panels. With sun, batteries are fully charged by noon.

That said... a string of rainy, cloudy days spoils the party. Then you MUST use the generator. So being a realist, you might get lucky... but sometimes not.

Honestly we cut the noisy generator use by over 80%. We used the generator maybe twice in six weeks in Colorado this past summer.

The value of lithium to YOU may be entirely different. As other posters stated, it's MUCH cheaper (and simpler) to just expand on your current lead-acid battery bank.
Old 11-22-2023, 07:25 PM   #7

Model: 22E
State: New York
THOR #12119
Quote:

David
I would get 3 batteries the 3rd is nearly free. You can also take the credit for the solar panels.

The 30% Federal tax credit for the batteries has to be for your residence (motorhome is considered a residence), and 3 kilowatt hours or more.
3 Battleborn 100ah batteries would meet the minimum 3 KW capacity, and you would get a 30% tax credit, nearly getting the 3rd battery free.

From the Battleborn Website:
Everyone from families to small businesses will benefit from the 30% clean energy tax credit through the Inflation Reduction Act. The credit differs from last year’s structure. You no longer need to have solar to apply the credit to a battery or energy storage system. Homeowners are now able to apply for the 30% tax credit simply for a standalone battery and installation.
To qualify for this clean energy tax credit, a home must be used as a residence by the United States taxpayer. As stated above, standalone battery systems qualify for the 30% residential clean energy credit. The capacity of a battery for home energy storage must be no less than 3 kilowatt hours.
In the past, tax credits were only available for energy storage if you had an onsite renewable energy system. Starting January 2023, the credit became available to standalone battery units.

https://battlebornbatteries.com/make...-work-for-you/
Old 11-22-2023, 08:13 PM   #8

Model: vegas 24.1
State: Nevada
THOR #17346
wow bry899, i didnt think of that, thanks for bringing it to my attention!

and yes Chateau, mine was less, but I will agree with you that could be a high ballpark estimate. but that is with solar. i would say that you dont need solar to go lithium, but why would you not go solar!? what i paid to do my solar -
4x100 w solar 400$
4 adjustable solar mounts 140$
controller 250$
wires, fuses, and connectors 150$
about 1000$ total

lithium alone cost -
li batteries 500$ each (current cost i can get them for. i have 3 now)
lithium bim 180$
1680$ total

am i missing anything?

the li converter is 300$, but i didnt do that. the solar does the charging. if you dont go solar, you will need to switch the converter, unless your converter is li smart, the new / replacement ones are.

for us, priceless! almost never hooked up, removed the generator a year ago after never using it, 3 years full time and loving it, no end in sight!
Old 11-22-2023, 08:20 PM   #9

THOR #29117
Thanks, i have 4ea. 100watt panels and 4ea. 200AH 6volt lead acids, it works great, I'll pass on the Lithium for now.

Thanks.