Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-26-2022, 09:22 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: South Carolina
THOR #22342
Lubrication Interval

After reading many posts about door lock pins failing, Slide outs hanging up and electrical gnd issues. I am thinking alot of these issues are due to poor lubrication or lack of sealing exposed wires.

I would like to know the interval that you use for lubricating doors, slideouts, mechanical steps, windows etc.

I RV in high salt environments and find when i get back to home base; spending considerable time washing and rinsing off salt spray. It literally rinses off as a dark soot salty material.

All the compartment lock handles have started getting corrosion pitting on them which is removed by waxing the turn handles. But is a good indication that salt is getting on the RV and is affecting the RV surfaces.

I have made it a habit of lubricating the door, locks pins, hinges. All the compartment hinges and locks, Leveling jack piston with silicone spray, window rails, step hinge points on a 6 month schedule.

I apply a light coat of lubricant on all the slide out gear rails, i then wipe the gear rails with a micro fiber cloth.

After reading many posts of failed electrical components, etc. I have started applying a clear flex seal coat to all exposed gnd studs, terminal blocks, fuse blocks, there are many.

After inspecting the water heater area, i see all the wiring is exposed to the elements through the compartments open louver's, same for refrigerator.

When we get a heavy rain, all is soaked with water. I have applied some flex sealant to the exposed wiring and circuit board. I have removed the cheap plug that was installed for the refrigerator during production and replaced it with an external purpose plug with plastic cover.

So far, i have not had any electrical issues, or faulty doors, pins locking me in or slide issues that strand us at a distant RV park, etc.

Underneath the RV, i have started inspecting all welds and applying the Black Flex Seal on any that are starting to rust.

I comment to my Wife, this all looks great in the RV showroom, but will all corrode when exposed to the elements. Is this overkill, or typical RV preventative maintenance?

Old 02-26-2022, 09:57 PM   #2

Model: Miramar
State: California
THOR #22927
Good work. It’s not over kill. If you don’t it will fail or rust out.
Old 02-26-2022, 09:59 PM   #3

State: South Carolina
THOR #22342
Thanks Grumpy.... corrosion control is a full time job... but a labor of luv.....and its really nice to set out on trips with an RV full of gas, oil, food and no mechanical issues....
Old 02-27-2022, 01:14 PM   #4

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Sounds like you have it covered pretty well

I use Teflon based lubricants due to many issues with silicone on some materials

Also, I have found the Teflon bases seem to have a longer useful life per application
Old 02-27-2022, 03:22 PM   #5

Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
THOR #6582
I had the opportunity to spend some time with a Thor west coast factory service rep. His recommended lube was BOESHEILD T-9. He was emphatic about using it on the slide-out tracks. It doesn't build up as other lubes do. I've bought it from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/BOESHIELD-Cor...84798201&psc=1
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 11:59 PM   #6

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnach View Post
I had the opportunity to spend some time with a Thor west coast factory service rep. His recommended lube was BOESHEILD T-9. He was emphatic about using it on the slide-out tracks. It doesn't build up as other lubes do. I've bought it from Amazon:

It’s good stuff but it was developed as a corrosion preventative. It’s lubrication properties are a side benefit. I use it for both purposes. More on my motorcycle than the RV.
Old 03-01-2022, 03:38 AM   #7

THOR #6903
I tried one can of Boeshield (parafin base) and the Teflon base is better for most things you don’t want to stick

My experience is not on slides having only one small non hydraulic on the bedroom in the Landmark
Old 03-01-2022, 05:02 AM   #8

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Boeshield a an awesome product but it is not really a lubricant. I use it on battery terminals but use silicone for most moving parts. I use WD-40 on the leveling jack pistons. I do most of my items on a monthly basis.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 12:04 PM   #9

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
What is the plug being referred to in the fridge?

WD40 is a cleaner. Has petroleum byproducts in it. Should not be used on your jacks as it will damage the rubber seals. I use the Teflon based lube.

If you have Schwintek slide systems, search on YouTube for lube methods. My book says not to lube the rack itself. But to lube the gibs.

While you’re going over it, look for spots of sealant either missed or very thin and split.
Old 03-01-2022, 01:24 PM   #10

THOR #6903
Since were lubricant and products minded on this thread i use several products for different purposes

Aerospace 303 protectant is a favorite as are their other sealants and detailers

WD-40 Is a great Water Displacement and Dielectric product and a modest lubricant in the original packaging, not the specialized products

For those with FLA batteries WD-40 is a great product

Teflon based products are similar but vary in price and solvents, find your favorite

Lots of choices out there and prices are climbing so stock up now

WD-40 is around 8 or higher now
Old 03-07-2022, 11:15 AM   #11

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Europe
THOR #9936
Well done, it certainly is a labour of love. I swear by silicone spray and I use it everywhere, locks, slide walls, locker latches.... l even wipe it over the mirrors to try and preserve the chrome. Here, in N Ireland the air is almost always damp so, anything I can do to coat, lubricate and protect surfaces is good.
Old 03-08-2022, 01:55 AM   #12

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Tennessee
THOR #25865
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnach View Post
Boeshield T-9 is great for any exposed metal and for long term storage if you let it dry without wiping. As a retired gunsmith I have used it a lot.
Old 03-08-2022, 02:38 AM   #13

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
WD-40 original formula was developed as a rust prevention product. It's petroleum based, so avoid long term use on rubber. I keep a thin film on tools which are prone to rusting.

PTFE (Teflon) based aerosol is an excellent all-purpose lube to use on just about anything. It will not attract dust/dirt like petroleum based products or silicone spray. I use it on window slides, door hinges AND my hydraulic levelers - which is recommended by Big Foot.