Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-23-2021, 04:41 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger GT
State: Washington
THOR #4517
Onan QG5500 not starting with switches

We bought a 2016 Challenger 5 years ago. It came with an Onan RV QG 5500 generator. You can start the generator 4 ways. 1) From the central control panel, 2) from the dashboard, 3) on the generator and finally 4) using the LCI remote provided by Thor. The first 3 methods give you the option to prime the generator by rocking the starter switch in the off position prior to reversing the switch to the on position when the priming light on the switch comes on.

Our issue is that the only way we can start the generator is by using the LCI remote. Using the LCI remote starts the generator 100% of the time. We cannot start the generator from any of the physical switches, even the one that is actually on the generator. What is also interesting is that while none of these physical switches can start the generator, all of them can stop the generator, so they are still connected. The switches can stop the generator, but not start the generator. They all fail to start the generator 100% of the time.

We also have the Magnum AGS, but that is off at the control panel. We have never used it. However, down in the invertor bay, there is the AGS control unit with a green READY indicator light on.

What is totally puzzling to me is that not even the switch on the generator itself can start the generator. That just seems weird.

Old 05-23-2021, 04:46 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Is the generator turning over: but not starting?
Or is not doing anything at all?
Old 05-23-2021, 04:52 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Is the generator turning over: but not starting?
Or is not doing anything at all?
Yeah, that's kinda an important symptom to know.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 04:54 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Old 05-23-2021, 05:12 PM   #5

THOR #4517
And I thought I was doing a good job at explaining. Lol.

Using the switches to start the generator has no effect on anything. There is no cranking, no noise and no movement at all from the generator. The generator it totally silent when using the switches to start it.
Old 05-23-2021, 05:24 PM   #6

Model: Windsport 34F
State: Alberta
THOR #22490
If it starts with the remote make sure to stop it with the remote as well.

If you use the remote to operate any of the functions but don't use it to reverse it, such as slide, awning, gennie then it can misbehave.

Try starting the gen with the remote and then stop it with the remote. THEN try the switches to start and let us know what happens.
Old 05-23-2021, 09:07 PM   #7

THOR #4517
Trophy1200, you're a genius. After I started/stopped the generator with the remote, I could start the generator on any of the physical switches. Now why didn't I think of that? I am relegating the remote to the bottom of the drawer. Thanks for the suggestion. I really appreciate it.
Old 05-23-2021, 10:00 PM   #8

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Good job Trophy1200. Others here that have that same system will know how to operate the generator.

Paul
Old 05-23-2021, 10:25 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie View Post
Trophy1200, you're a genius. After I started/stopped the generator with the remote, I could start the generator on any of the physical switches. Now why didn't I think of that? I am relegating the remote to the bottom of the drawer. Thanks for the suggestion. I really appreciate it.
Mystery solved!
Old 05-23-2021, 10:41 PM   #10

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Wow, Thor Forum at it's best
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 10:46 PM   #11

Model: Windsport 34F
State: Alberta
THOR #22490
Glad it worked. [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

2015 Thor Windsport 34F = empty pockets
2010 Kia Soul
REME veteran
Trophy1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 10:54 PM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
That's kind of why I threw my Outlaw's Rapid Camp remote in a drawer, and forgot about it.
Old 05-24-2021, 02:35 AM   #13

Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
Our last motor home had the Rapid Camp remote, it was more trouble than it was worth, it was relegated to just hanging on the wall to never be used again.
Old 05-24-2021, 03:29 AM   #14

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
My wife and I have no issues with remaster app remote on our Samsung phones. There is a recent 25 min bmpro update that makes it faster
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 11:03 AM   #15

Model: Chateau 31W
State: Rhode Island
THOR #19146
A couple of years ago, shortly after we had gotten our unit, my wife and I took a trip to Pennsylvania. At some point I found myself unable to turn off the outside light strip located just beneath where the awning attaches to the side of the coach. Worried that it might have been incorrectly wired or that a short circuit of some kind had reared its ugly head, I unscrewed the light switch from the interior wall and, after pulling out about a foot of slack wiring, found an additional wire and an inline fuse that "those fools at Thor" had spliced into the circuit. Removing the fuse solved the "problem," although I was no longer able to use the light unless I removed the light switch and replaced the inline fuse--not a particularly convenient workaround.

I'm sure you can guess where this is going. When we returned from our trip I brought the coach to the dealership with a long list of things that needed attention and repair, among them the apparently malfunctioning light. The first thing the service manager said to me was, "Did you try shutting it off with the remote?" "Uh, no," I replied. (It's not a bug--it's a feature!) Our pre-delivery orientation/walk-through was almost non-existent, having been conducted by a PDI technician who was hastily recruited from the travel trailer side of the house because no one else was available. He was a refreshingly earnest and clearly bright kid who apologize profusely because he was not familiar with many/most of the features of our Chateau. He did say, however, that had it been up to him that he would never have released a unit to a customer that was in such a sorry state--several loose screws were strewn about the unit and there were tiny bits of styrofoam insulation everywhere, to name two issues I can recall out of probably half a dozen or so.

Anyway, not having been briefed on its features I had been reluctant to use the remote and had no idea that it was capable of controlling the outside light (as well as a bunch of other things). I must have inadvertently turned the outside light on when I was investigating the remote one day during our trip. If I were so limited in mobility and so lacking in stamina as to require a remote to turn on the outside light, power up the generator, or perform auto leveling rather than walking ten feet to directly operate the switches and control panels dedicated to these functions, I would have absolutely no business driving a rig that in a more sane world would require a CDL to operate. Talk about technology for technology's sake!

When we got the coach back from being serviced, I resisted the temptation to crush the remote under my foot and simply removed the battery. Present problem solved and future problems averted!
Old 06-07-2021, 02:21 PM   #16

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie View Post
And I thought I was doing a good job at explaining. Lol.

Using the switches to start the generator has no effect on anything. There is no cranking, no noise and no movement at all from the generator. The generator it totally silent when using the switches to start it.
I wonder if I can get switches like that installed on my mother-in-law?
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
onan generator, qg5500