Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-03-2022, 01:27 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Gemini 23TW
State: Maine
THOR #27511
Slider Stop and Go Issue

We just took delivery of a new Gemini but when we got it home we discovered the slider didn't work. It would go in (or out) for a few seconds and then stop. The control panel would be grayed out and wouldn't respond. We finally found out that if we turned the engine off, then on again, the control panel would come back to life and we could get a few more seconds of action. It took four or five of those cycles to get the slider in or out all the way. We took it back to the dealer who tried unsuccessfully for a day to fix it, and then finally was told by Thor to turn the headlights on while running the engine (and applying the parking break). (At least they didn't say anything about also clicking your heels three times). That seemed to do the trick, at least for the dealer. We pick it up again tomorrow and we'll see if that's right. My question is if that what it takes to make the slider work, why didn't they tell us that before? Thor makes available 167 online manuals and guides about our RV, but there is no mention of the headlight trick. And there is no sticker in the RV saying that.

And a related and equally aggravating problem, when we went to print out some of those 167 manuals, we discovered that the software Thor uses makes it impossible to print out more than one page at a time. For a 30-page manual, that's quite an undertaking (not to mention 167 of them). No problem, we thought, we'll just save them on the iPad for future reference when we're boondocking with no internet or cell service. NOPE. They can't be downloaded either. So no internet, no help. Sigh ...

Old 08-03-2022, 03:00 AM   #2

Model: Windsport 34F
State: Alberta
THOR #22490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geminator View Post
We just took delivery of a new Gemini but when we got it home we discovered the slider didn't work. It would go in (or out) for a few seconds and then stop. The control panel would be grayed out and wouldn't respond. We finally found out that if we turned the engine off, then on again, the control panel would come back to life and we could get a few more seconds of action. It took four or five of those cycles to get the slider in or out all the way. We took it back to the dealer who tried unsuccessfully for a day to fix it, and then finally was told by Thor to turn the headlights on while running the engine (and applying the parking break). (At least they didn't say anything about also clicking your heels three times). That seemed to do the trick, at least for the dealer. We pick it up again tomorrow and we'll see if that's right. My question is if that what it takes to make the slider work, why didn't they tell us that before? Thor makes available 167 online manuals and guides about our RV, but there is no mention of the headlight trick. And there is no sticker in the RV saying that.

And a related and equally aggravating problem, when we went to print out some of those 167 manuals, we discovered that the software Thor uses makes it impossible to print out more than one page at a time. For a 30-page manual, that's quite an undertaking (not to mention 167 of them). No problem, we thought, we'll just save them on the iPad for future reference when we're boondocking with no internet or cell service. NOPE. They can't be downloaded either. So no internet, no help. Sigh ...

The 'headlight trick' was probably to check charging of the battery from the engine.

The parking brake would normally be applied to enable use of the leveling system and slide. It's not magic and the dealer should have been able to advise this just as easily as it was for me to type it.

If it works now, then at least you know to have the engine off and parking brake on in order to move the slide. Some models you need to have the engine running, try it both ways and you'll know which works for you.

2015 Thor Windsport 34F = empty pockets
2010 Kia Soul
REME veteran
Trophy1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 04:08 AM   #3

THOR #27511
I guess I wasn't very clear - sorry! According to what Thor told the dealer, not only do you have to have the parking brake on and the engine running (which I already knew), but you also have to have the headlights on at the same time for some reason. Why that would take care of an intermittent power problem is beyond me, but as long as it works, I'll take their advice.
Old 08-03-2022, 10:39 AM   #4

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Wow. The headlight thing is weird.
Old 08-03-2022, 11:24 AM   #5
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
On mine the engine has to be off before the slide will work it is a safety lock so they will not open while driving down the road. Tousse the levelers the engine running brake on,
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 02:23 PM   #6

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
When you purchase your next RV...make sure you test everything for proper working order before you write the check.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 03:25 PM   #7

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Quote:
I guess I wasn't very clear - sorry! According to what Thor told the dealer, not only do you have to have the parking brake on and the engine running (which I already knew), but you also have to have the headlights on at the same time for some reason. Why that would take care of an intermittent power problem is beyond me, but as long as it works, I'll take their advice.

While it does seem odd that you have been advised to also turn on your headlights when using the slide(s), I can only suggest that it “might” be because the engine alternator output load is monitored and is electronically controlled and that means the current demand on the alternator needs a higher load in order to boost its output charging voltage. Turning on headlights is a trick I use on my 2014 Honda CRV toad to ensure that it is being properly charged (only while it is used as daily driver). Honda has used electronic load monitoring and control of their alternators for many years (I believe) for improved gas mileage. Maybe your Gemini engine is doing a similar thing? In order to “turn on” the alternator to get some charging current (higher voltage output) into your coach batteries prior to using the slide, you load up a little first with the headlights. It would be interesting to measure the voltage on your chassis battery while idling and under minimum loads (no headlights or dash A/C). You might be surprised that it might actually be below 12.6vdc (typical normal battery full charge). Most “older” vehicles I have owned over many years would run the alternator normally at 14+ under similar circumstances. Just a guess though.
Old 08-03-2022, 03:48 PM   #8

THOR #27511
I just got off the phone with the Thor tech people (who were very helpful!) and you have it exactly right. There is a voltage threshold that needs to be met and it takes adding an additional load -the headlights- to kick up the alternator's output sufficiently. It would be nice if they added that into their guidance somewhere!
Thanks for all the helpful comments from everyone.
Old 08-03-2022, 05:14 PM   #9

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhenn View Post
On mine the engine has to be off before the slide will work it is a safety lock so they will not open while driving down the road. Tousse the levelers the engine running brake on,
Engine off for me!
Old 08-03-2022, 06:05 PM   #10
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
I'm not sure what you are looking at but on the Thor Owners Resource website you can create an account with your VIN and download all documents/manuals available for your RV in PDF format which allows printing of the entire document. Depending on your browser you may need to right-click on the document name and "Save link as" or words to that effect:
Click image for larger version

Name:	TOR Download1.png
Views:	19
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	39007

If you open the document in their Online PDF Viewer you can print the entire document or download the PDF to your PC.
Click image for larger version

Name:	TOR Download2.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	39008

I hope this helps.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 02:12 AM   #11

THOR #27511
Printing/Download Problem Solved

OK, my bad. It turns out if you access the owners resource website with an iPhone held vertically, you can get the pdf file, but the Print and Download buttons in the upper right corner do not appear. If you turn the phone horizontally, there is more room and then they do show up. If I then try to print a multi-page file using the Print button, I still can only get the first couple pages for some reason. But if I download and save the files using the Download button that I couldn't see before, all the pages are there and I can print the entire document from the saved file. Plus I now have a saved library that I can use offline when I don't have internet access.
Old 08-10-2022, 06:53 PM   #12

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Leave it to Thor to design some silly pain in the butt way to do a simple task. Guess it wasen't good enough to just leave the coach motor running or key on while deploying or retracting.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gemini, slider