Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-27-2022, 09:47 PM   #21
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Just FYI, what this chart does not state, but is critical for accurate measurement of SOC, is that the voltage has to be measured with the battery at rest for 30+ minutes.

This simple chart does state that:

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 02:34 PM   #22

Model: Four Winds 31E
State: Massachusetts
THOR #1785
Thanks everyone, great information. If I go with AGM do you think my stock converter will charge them?
Old 04-28-2022, 02:51 PM   #23
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC7432 View Post
Thanks everyone, great information. If I go with AGM do you think my stock converter will charge them?
Yes.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 04:36 PM   #24

State: California
THOR #25530
Hi,
I checked and found out that my RV does have WFCO WF8955PEC control/power center.
What else do I have to check to see if my RV us lithium battery compatible? Thanks
Old 04-28-2022, 06:06 PM   #25

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minh Nguyen View Post
Hi,
I checked and found out that my RV does have WFCO WF8955PEC control/power center.
What else do I have to check to see if my RV us lithium battery compatible? Thanks
I would not recommend using the WF-8955PEC charger with lithium batteries. WFCO does make a lithium charger. The WFCO WF-8950L2-MBA converter is a drop in replacement for your present converter.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 06:40 PM   #26

THOR #25530
Hi,

I am a newbie in RV and never paid attention to battery in general until now. I am a little confused about the DoD level, is it by design or technology limitation that you are not allowed to fully use the full potential of power stored? just like to have a 5 gallons of container of water but you can only used 50% of it and advised to refill as soon as you can, so what is the point of having a big container for? in this case big battery.
Old 04-28-2022, 06:41 PM   #27

THOR #25530
thanks for your reply. Looks like it has only 4 wires that I have to disconnect and reconnect right?
Old 04-28-2022, 08:56 PM   #28

THOR #25530
Hi all, do you know what is it for? I found it is located next to my battery compartment. And what is the blue button is for? is it a "reset" button for something?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV part.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	37182  
Old 04-28-2022, 09:02 PM   #29

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Hi,

I am a newbie in RV and never paid attention to battery in general until now. I am a little confused about the DoD level, is it by design or technology limitation that you are not allowed to fully use the full potential of power stored? just like to have a 5 gallons of container of water but you can only used 50% of it and advised to refill as soon as you can, so what is the point of having a big container for? in this case big battery.
The Technology is a function of the design. It is NOT that you can't use the full potential of power stored, it is about the efficiency and strain on the battery performance and life expectancy. If you in a dark cave would you want the flashlight with 100% SOC or the one with 50% SOC? Both will work. Batteries can only handle so many cycles of complete drains. Drains to levels below the Mfg recommend SOC will just accelerate it's demise. If you want technology today that best allows for this issue, Lithium batteries is your only choice. You can down to 20% SOC or so.

You can also do what I did which was to calculate your AH needs and buy batteries that can accommodate. i.e. I need 75 - 80 ahs/day. My batteries were 65ahs each. So I bought two 125 ahs so I have more than I ever need. It is also why in my case usually my batteries rarely even get below 12.6 vdc, so effectively I only get down to 60% SOC before I am recharging.

As I read your thinking, you may be better off to buy the Lithium system. I believe you will be happier. Just may sure you a system that support cold temperatures should you ever be in situation where you might encounter a freeze.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 09:11 PM   #30

THOR #25530
Thanks for your reply. I am planning a 4-6 weeks trip going go around the United States with as much boon-docking/dry camping as possible to compensate for the gas cost current. SO I need to invest into a good set of batteries that helping me with stay off grid during the trip.
Old 04-28-2022, 09:17 PM   #31

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
thanks for your reply. Looks like it has only 4 wires that I have to disconnect and reconnect right?
Yes but there are three AC wires (in): black (120 volt power), white (common), green (ground) and for DC (out) to the fuse panel: red (12 volt positive) and white (12 volt negative) The converter is in the lower compartment of your power center and it is a true drop-in replacement.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 09:28 PM   #32

THOR #13058
Quote:
Thanks for your reply. I am planning a 4-6 weeks trip going go around the United States with as much boon-docking/dry camping as possible to compensate for the gas cost current. SO I need to invest into a good set of batteries that helping me with stay off grid during the trip.
Your requirements may dictate that Lithium may be your only option. Lots of factor like space constraints etc. Terminology is important too, because for me, and I am not the expert, I am boondocking when ever I do not have shorepower PERIOD. I bought a RV with 5500 Watt to Generator to use whenever I need power while boondocking

I can go two days max with no generator / shorepower. Not sure how may days you plan to go? Had I bought lithium's, I guess I could make 4 days with no generator / shorepower. I don't wish to sound like a wimp, but I ain't trying to camp like that. Each of those 4 days, my Genset will run for 2 hours and I never get below 12.6vdc. I made the math work for me.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 04-28-2022, 09:35 PM   #33

THOR #25530
Thank you very much. will definitely look into that
Old 04-28-2022, 09:40 PM   #34

THOR #25530
Thanks for your reply. I will plan to to go 2 to 3 days off grid then a day to get fresh water refilled, dumping black and gray and on the trip again need to get out after 2 years tied down at home during the pandemic
Old 04-28-2022, 11:33 PM   #35

THOR #13058
Quote:
Thanks for your reply. I will plan to to go 2 to 3 days off grid then a day to get fresh water refilled, dumping black and gray and on the trip again need to get out after 2 years tied down at home during the pandemic
I don't know weather in California (I suspect that it may be cause cancer to the State) but do you think you can go 2 to 3 days in an RV with no AC? I know we can't, or don't want to do; so our AGS will fire up the Genny if it hits setpoint (75 or so). When genny is running our batteries are recharged.

Another perspective, and trust me it is only a perspective of one guy; but when would you ever use your genny if not in those situations? I try to use my genny for any excuse possible, and I can barely hit 80 hours a year using it. Now when Lithium can run my two ACs, I may pay more attention
Old 04-30-2022, 06:13 PM   #36

Model: 22 Freedom elite
State: Virginia
THOR #21610
if you have Battery start Generator.. its seperate from House Batterys & engine start.
i also Have a (2020) 22HE i have 3 batterys changing batterys & charging systems just to costly for me
sparky
Old 04-30-2022, 11:10 PM   #37

Model: Chateau 31e
State: Alabama
THOR #4513
I would like to convert to lithium also. My question is who does this type of work? My RV guy doesnt seem to know about battery technology. I can order and replace the batteries but am not comfortable ordering and installing the converter. Do i go to a solar company or what? I dont want to go to Camping World either.
Old 04-30-2022, 11:15 PM   #38

Model: Chateau 31e
State: Alabama
THOR #4513
Mine is yellow and is the power reset for the leveling jacks.

Tags
lithium iron lifepo4