Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-18-2023, 04:19 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Vermont
THOR #29475
Water Pump Pulsating

I have a 2023 Thor Sequence. I removed the water filter and replaced it with an arced line of the blue tubing since I use an external filter and there were many reports of the internal filter leaking. (When we picked it up, there was water on the floor from it.)
The water pump worked fine until I removed the filter. Now it pulses and shakes while running the water and even after it has been turned off. I have removed all the air from the system, running all the faucets and showers until no air was there. It seems to occur more with hot water than the cold water. It happens only when using the tank water, since it doesn't run using city water.
Any suggestions? Thank you!

Old 04-18-2023, 04:56 PM   #2

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Put the filter back in. It smooths out the pump pulses which are normal. When you put it back in the circuit make sure the filter element is in place and the seal is aligned. It shouldn’t leak.

David
Old 04-18-2023, 05:12 PM   #3

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
We don't know if you removed a filter or the accumulator/pulse-pot tank.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 05:32 PM   #4

THOR #29475
Put the filter back in. It smooths out the pump pulses which are normal. When you put it back in the circuit make sure the filter element is in place and the seal is aligned. It shouldn’t leak.

David[/QUOTE]

Thank you. I will put the filter back in and hopefully that will straighten it out.
Old 04-18-2023, 05:33 PM   #5

THOR #29475
We don't know if you removed a filter or the accumulator/pulse-pot tank.[/QUOTE]

It was the filter that I removed.
Old 04-18-2023, 05:51 PM   #6

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
The Water pump on my ACE pulses as well. It is also rather loud, I think the wet bay walls and floor act like a sounding board. Anyway, my unit does NOT have an accumulator, according to the Thor supplied documentation an accumulator is not needed. I am thinking the Thor line is rather a lot of I wish there was a Smilie for what I really want to say about that. So, I am considering installing an accumulator to try to reduce the volume and pulsing. Will installing an accumulator actually help?

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 06:16 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-sr@perra-us.net View Post
The Water pump on my ACE pulses as well. It is also rather loud, I think the wet bay walls and floor act like a sounding board. Anyway, my unit does NOT have an accumulator, according to the Thor supplied documentation an accumulator is not needed. I am thinking the Thor line is rather a lot of I wish there was a Smilie for what I really want to say about that. So, I am considering installing an accumulator to try to reduce the volume and pulsing. Will installing an accumulator actually help?
Yes, an accumulator will USUALLY help. The problem is the cold water line from the pump is not tied down or insulated. The easiest fix is to buy some pipe insulation and place as short section where the cold water lines hit the shower wall or the floor.

A high pressure, large volume pump takes a large accumulator. If the pump is less than 3 g/m as small accumulator should be sufficient.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 06:16 PM   #8

Model: 2022 Axis 24.1
State: Kansas
THOR #24565
Ours pulses more and with greater intensity if we have any sediment in a facet screen.

Moving the filter could have dislodged some debris that got caught in the facet spigot screen.
Old 04-18-2023, 06:21 PM   #9

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
The only benefit to an accumulator is for short burst of water. The really big ones are more effective but who has room for that. It will not cut back on how much the pump runs overall per gallon used. The output still has to "fill" and pressurize the accumulator after you use water.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 12:22 AM   #10

THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Yes, an accumulator will USUALLY help. The problem is the cold water line from the pump is not tied down or insulated. The easiest fix is to buy some pipe insulation and place as short section where the cold water lines hit the shower wall or the floor.

A high pressure, large volume pump takes a large accumulator. If the pump is less than 3 g/m as small accumulator should be sufficient.
Define "small" most of the accumulators run between 0.75 L and 1.0 L. My pump is supposed to be a 3GPM unit.

Old 04-19-2023, 01:01 AM   #11

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: Florida
THOR #27719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-sr@perra-us.net View Post
Define "small" most of the accumulators run between 0.75 L and 1.0 L. My pump is supposed to be a 3GPM unit.
Expand your horizons:

https://www.amazon.com/Accumulator-M.../dp/B00IRFW38W
Old 04-19-2023, 01:14 AM   #12

THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geterdun View Post
TWO GALLONS! I do not think there is room for a two-gallon accumulator tank in my wet bay or anywhere else in a weather protected location inside a heated area without running a ton of new pipe.

Old 04-19-2023, 11:46 AM   #13

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Water pumps pulse. Even home well systems do as well. Mine beats against the floor. It really doesn’t bother me enough to go through the effort of removing drawers, twisting my body to get to it, then trying to wrap something around 3” of pex to cushion it from beating against the floor. It doesn’t leak. It works properly. I’ll fix it when it breaks.
Old 04-23-2023, 03:56 AM   #14

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: California
THOR #27561
Quote:
Originally Posted by jprosper View Post
I have a 2023 Thor Sequence. I removed the water filter and replaced it with an arced line of the blue tubing since I use an external filter and there were many reports of the internal filter leaking. (When we picked it up, there was water on the floor from it.)
The water pump worked fine until I removed the filter. Now it pulses and shakes while running the water and even after it has been turned off. I have removed all the air from the system, running all the faucets and showers until no air was there. It seems to occur more with hot water than the cold water. It happens only when using the tank water, since it doesn't run using city water.
Any suggestions? Thank you!
Unless the filter had air trapped in it, it just acted as a hydraulic restriction. You could put in another restriction such as an adjustable globe valve to duplicate the restriction of the filter. Something downstream of the filter doesn’t like the pressure pulsations. Almost all types of positive displacement pumps have pulsations.
Old 04-23-2023, 10:13 AM   #15

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Hydraulic damper with pex fittings are available in all big box stores

Easy to add in home or camper
Old 04-25-2023, 11:27 PM   #16

Model: Sprinter four winds
State: Georgia
THOR #14780
Not sure about your pump but our pump had an adjustment near the end of the motor close to the filter. The adjustment was made with an Allen wrench and the adjustment was very slight and it stopped the pulsing of the pump.