Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-31-2021, 03:14 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 28A
State: California
THOR #21941
8,000 lb tow capacity

How does THOR come up with an 8,000 lb tow capacity?
I have the 28A on a Chevy chassis.
GCWR is 20,000lb
GVWR is 14,200lb
If loaded to the GVWR, then the max tow capacity would only be 5,800, right?
I just took my MH over to the local waste station and had it weighed. It came out at 11,400lb.
If I add water (40 gal 334lb), full tank of gas (346lb), and two adult passengers (325lb), so let's say another 1,000lb, I'm still well under GVWR.

Does THOR figure you're not going to be at GVWR when calculating tow capacity?

Watchdog hardwired EMS, Alignment, Roadmaster front sway bar, vent covers, Dew Gutter
waynetaylor55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 03:33 PM   #2

Model: Windsport 32N
State: Arizona
THOR #23246
The 8000 lbs is the design capacity of the hitch and its attachment. How much of that is actually usable within the GVWR, loading etc, varies. You are going about it correctly in calculating all your weights and then seeing what is left over.
Old 10-31-2021, 03:55 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Re-read the specs carefully. Thor does not provide towing capacity. They only provide the capacity of the hitch.

The only rig that they have ever given the towing capacity for is the Super C (now Omni and Magnitude) because of its increased capacity.

And yes, it has always listed hitch capacity on the specs and if anyone took the time to call and ask Thor provided the actual tow capacity of GCWR - GVWR.

I questioned them on this issue back in Feb 2014 when they put a 7500 lb hitch on a Challenger with 4K of towing capacity.
Old 10-31-2021, 04:06 PM   #4

Model: Four Winds 28A
State: California
THOR #21941
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Re-read the specs carefully. Thor does not provide towing capacity. They only provide the capacity of the hitch.

The only rig that they have ever given the towing capacity for is the Super C (now Omni and Magnitude) because of its increased capacity.

And yes, it has always listed hitch capacity on the specs and if anyone took the time to call and ask Thor provided the actual tow capacity of GCWR - GVWR.

I questioned them on this issue back in Feb 2014 when they put a 7500 lb hitch on a Challenger with 4K of towing capacity.
That's what I have been doing. I just remember the salesman touting it could tow 8,000lb.

Salesmen always know everything, right?

Watchdog hardwired EMS, Alignment, Roadmaster front sway bar, vent covers, Dew Gutter
waynetaylor55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 05:08 PM   #5

Model: Thor Tuscany 40DX
State: Colorado
THOR #5043
Doesn't this come down to how much you can haul and how much you can tow? The thing being towed does not add much to how much you can haul. The hitch may only be rated for 500# pin weight but the thing being towed is up to say 5000#. Adding the thing being towed is VERY much worst case. That's why the CGCWR is a much larger number.
Old 10-31-2021, 06:14 PM   #6

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynetaylor55 View Post
How does THOR come up with an 8,000 lb tow capacity?
I have the 28A on a Chevy chassis.
GCWR is 20,000lb
GVWR is 14,200lb
If loaded to the GVWR, then the max tow capacity would only be 5,800, right?
I just took my MH over to the local waste station and had it weighed. It came out at 11,400lb.
If I add water (40 gal 334lb), full tank of gas (346lb), and two adult passengers (325lb), so let's say another 1,000lb, I'm still well under GVWR.

Does THOR figure you're not going to be at GVWR when calculating tow capacity?

They only sight the rating of the hitch not the RV. We looked at a Palazzo with 7K hitch but when doing the math of GVWR and the HP ended up with our Aria. 10K hitch more HP and torque. Our toad is 6,000 pounds and the Aria has no problem. The Palazzo would require us to buy another car.
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote