Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-18-2022, 01:55 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
New toad

Couple days ago got a new toad, Jeep Gladiator. It's a used one with 12k miles, bone stock, in very good shape and got it for decent pricing especially under today's market. Gladiator won't win any beauty contests but it drives much better than the Wrangler with a similar 4WD system meaning simple to connect. I wanted a Jeep again to give me "enhanced trail driving" when we visit places. This isn't a serious off-road or rock climber but will get us further down the trail and not potentially tear up my daily driver, the Ram 1500.

Blue Ox base plate ordered and will use a Curt wiring. I'll swap out the RVi brake system already in use.

2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 02:42 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Congrats on the new toad. Should be easy to tow and quite capable off road. The Gladiator was on our short list but the wife liked the "luxury" of the Colorado better.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 03:20 PM   #3

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Congrats on the new toad. Should be easy to tow and quite capable off road. The Gladiator was on our short list but the wife liked the "luxury" of the Colorado better.
I looked at the towing setup for the Colorado/Canyon and having to disconnect the battery seems to be a PITA. From my short wrangler towing experiences the Jeeps, albeit overpriced and "cultish", are just so easy to setup and tow and a reasonably off-road capable. The wrangler spent a fair amount of time in the backwoods of UT, AZ and AK in places I wouldn't want to take the Ram. Funny thing my GFs grandkids think the gladiator is "so ugly" yet the wrangler "so cute". Teenage girls have no brain anyway.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 02-18-2022, 04:50 PM   #4

Model: SV34
State: Arizona
THOR #24580
Congrats on the new toad Chunker -

Harley's, Jeep Wrangler/Gladiator's are like Legos for adults with the endless modifications that can be done - So fun making them your own. Of course you already know this...

I love our Wrangler Toad for ease of hookup and we love to explore off road wherever we are with the coach.

We have a Blue ox base plate, Roadmaster tow bar and stay n' play duo brake set up. So easy, it can be hooked/unhooked in less than 5 minutes.
Ottosails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 05:34 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
How about some pictures of your new...
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1645205678
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Toad 01.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	36161  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 05:56 PM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
I looked at the towing setup for the Colorado/Canyon and having to disconnect the battery seems to be a PITA. From my short wrangler towing experiences the Jeeps, albeit overpriced and "cultish", are just so easy to setup and tow and a reasonably off-road capable. The wrangler spent a fair amount of time in the backwoods of UT, AZ and AK in places I wouldn't want to take the Ram. Funny thing my GFs grandkids think the gladiator is "so ugly" yet the wrangler "so cute". Teenage girls have no brain anyway.
Actually, disconnecting the battery in the Colorado is the easiest part of flat towing it. That's accomplished by the push of a button once you install a remote battery disconnect.

The PITA is the procedure for putting the transfer case in neutral plus leaving the key in ACC to keep the steering wheel unlocked. It isn't difficult, but the manual has you jumping from one section to another and it's real easy to skip a step or get steps out of order without a checklist. That's the second thing I did after installing the remote disconnect: create my own laminated procedure/checklist and now it's a piece of cake.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 06:54 PM   #7

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Actually, disconnecting the battery in the Colorado is the easiest part of flat towing it. That's accomplished by the push of a button once you install a remote battery disconnect.

The PITA is the procedure for putting the transfer case in neutral plus leaving the key in ACC to keep the steering wheel unlocked. It isn't difficult, but the manual has you jumping from one section to another and it's real easy to skip a step or get steps out of order without a checklist. That's the second thing I did after installing the remote disconnect: create my own laminated procedure/checklist and now it's a piece of cake.
I know what you mean. The Ram has an electronic neutral transfer case and to protect me from myself, has automatic shifting to park if I so much as dare open the door and it puts on the parking brake. Parking brake also electronic engaging and the indicator light not real conspicuous in bright light. The manual procedure sound similar to the Colorado in they make it way too complicated jumping around. I also simplified what I really do. Jeep much simpler.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 02-18-2022, 06:54 PM   #8

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
How about some pictures of your new...
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1645205678
That's about as pretty as the gladiator.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 02-18-2022, 08:04 PM   #9

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottosails View Post
Congrats on the new toad Chunker -

Harley's, Jeep Wrangler/Gladiator's are like Legos for adults with the endless modifications that can be done - So fun making them your own. Of course you already know this...

I love our Wrangler Toad for ease of hookup and we love to explore off road wherever we are with the coach.

We have a Blue ox base plate, Roadmaster tow bar and stay n' play duo brake set up. So easy, it can be hooked/unhooked in less than 5 minutes.
I'm probably not going to do too much to it except prepare it for it's toad duties. Blue Ox base plate, Curt wiring. PO sprayed in a bed liner and I'm putting on running boards and tonneau cover. Already have BO tow bar and RVi3 braking.

The previous wrangler saw lots of back country and I expect this one will too. We'll spend 3-4 weeks in NM this spring.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 02-24-2022, 01:36 AM   #10

Model: Aria 3901
State: Arizona
THOR #11568
New toad

I added the Curt wiring to my 2017 Wrangler before we left AZ before Christmas. Everything worked well thru Phoenix, San Angelo until I got to Biloxi. When I unhooked at the park that evening, I noticed the back lights were blinking and got a blown bulb message. Checked it out the next day and replaced bulbs with no luck. I ended up unplugging the harness and everything worked fine. Of course I had to buy a set of magnetic lights for the rest of the trip as I didn’t bring my old ones. I called Curt and the engineer said he never heard of this happening and said it could not happen with the Curt harness. Not sure if anyone else has had an issue, but if I add another harness, I will use the one that has the separate bulbs. Might be worth seeing if anyone else ever had an issue
Old 02-24-2022, 02:42 AM   #11

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tebo53AZ View Post
I added the Curt wiring to my 2017 Wrangler before we left AZ before Christmas. Everything worked well thru Phoenix, San Angelo until I got to Biloxi. When I unhooked at the park that evening, I noticed the back lights were blinking and got a blown bulb message. Checked it out the next day and replaced bulbs with no luck. I ended up unplugging the harness and everything worked fine. Of course I had to buy a set of magnetic lights for the rest of the trip as I didn’t bring my old ones. I called Curt and the engineer said he never heard of this happening and said it could not happen with the Curt harness. Not sure if anyone else has had an issue, but if I add another harness, I will use the one that has the separate bulbs. Might be worth seeing if anyone else ever had an issue
Thanks I put a similar one on the Ram 1500 which has been the toad with no negative issues. Hopefully you just got a bad one. I'll keep and eye on it though.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ