Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2017, 07:46 PM   #81
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
I would like to see a side view of that set up and speak to the owner of the RV. The lift and/or carrier will add considerable weight, so an 800 pound motorcycle and carrier might be adding 1000 pounds to the back of the vehicle. But the photo proves that it can be done.

Metalman, I'm not sure the photos prove much of anything (at least to me), other than that the motorhomes can support the weight of the motorcycle while parked.

They certainly don't prove these setups are safe, or that it should be done at all. They don't prove the motorhomes are stable with all the rear weight bias, or that the rear axles aren't over the limit. Or that front wheels don't get too light for steering.

In case it wasn't clear, I was mostly joking with Jamie, and was being sarcastic. Short of having a mechanical engineering degree and a lot of experience, I would not suggest trying anything like these on a DIY basis.

Can it be done safely in some cases? Probably under certain conditions. I don't think it takes a diesel pusher. In fact, not having a 2,000-pound engine hanging off the very back of the unit should help.

By the way, I saw one video with a lift that showed a good side view with motorcycle way behind bumper.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum