Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2017, 01:05 AM   #43
gmc

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by groundpounder View Post
... That is paralleling batteries is never recommended. Batteries are never the same and do not age the same. The charging characteristics are mismatched, overcharging or undercharging becomes a problem. Overcharging can boil out the electrolyte, cause the battery to get hot and explode.
Quote:
As stated before do not parallel batteries, it is not safe to do that without isolators.
I'm sorry - but there is nothing wrong with running batteries in parallel... Many of our rigs are supplied that way - and it works fine when the batteries are cared for.
It is recommended to parallel identical (in age/specs) batteries for best life - but there is nothing 'dangerous' about a mismatch... It can hurt the life of the pair if one degrades - but that is about it...

Even mismatched in capacity batteries CAN be charged in parallel... I wouldn't view it as a best practice - but it can be done. Each battery will absorb what it needs.

Can 2 six volts in series outperform 2 12v in parallel? Sure - given the right batteries - but that isn't always the practical answer... Space and money and usage requirements can dictate what needs to be used...

Quote:
My suggestion is to have a 24v inverter with charger and 4 - 6v batteries just to operate the inverter.
Not a bad suggestion as the higher voltage would cut the amps required from the battery source in half... but likely not practical in many cases to carry 4 additional batteries just for the inverter.
Now I know Chance would like to see a 24V RV...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum