Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2018, 08:00 PM   #7
micd

Brand: Still Looking
State: Colorado
THOR #10650
Thanks everyone! Especially JamieGeek for the links to the other 2 threads. I had searched 25.5 but nothing came up. Seems like others on the threads reported the same search problem.

The discussions were interesting. Seems like several were using the beds like we would, as a twin and full. And they seemed happy with the arrangement, not reporting any problems.

I know some of you are shaking your heads saying why not the 24.1. For us the beds are too high for the dogs to jump on. In the 25.5 they are lower.

In terms of giving up on the Axis/Vegas and going with a Mercedes it mostly has to do with the foot impingement of the passenger. We likely could have the seat unbolted and rebolted further back. Especially since the drivers side seat in this unit was bolted too far to the right for the steering wheel to directly align with it.

We also weren't thrilled with the daylight we could see in the back corner closet (meaning there is likely a water leak back there) and the sofa bottoming out when you drove meant that would have to be replaced with something with better cushioning.

But the Thor Citation wasn't perfect either. The Mercedes part was better, seats were in the right place, and foot room was excellent. Stitching on seats was such that the seams caused pain (sort of like the princess and the pea) but that could likely be solved with a wool seat cover. Parts of the Thor Citation were laying around, like the wood cabinet front, exterior locks didn't work or doors were misaligned, part of air conditioner plastic cover broken, fake leather was wearing along where it hit when the slide was put in and out, main door needed realignment and we weren't sure we wouldn't hit the dump valve handle and knock it off when going up our driveway. We loved getting the bunk over the drivers area for storage. Lawn chairs and dog pen have to go somewhere.

But then it all came crashing down when we read the 920 lb CCC with 300 lbs subtracted if you had a full water tank so 620lbs. There is 2x the fresh water in grey and black tanks so if you ever did fill your grey and blacks then you, all your gear and any left over fresh water in the tanks are supposed to weigh <320 lbs. Zero chance of that since the two of us and our dog weigh more than that, so this rig may only be a campsite with hook ups rig. By the time we put in max fans, a second battery and solar panels we may have to travel with the clothes on our backs and a bottle of water each if we want to stay at campgrounds with out hook ups. Not sure what we would do for clean clothes and food (she says facetiously).

I can't recall if the Axis 25.5 had storage for out lawn chairs and dog pen. I'm thinking it didn't and we would have to get creative with a hitch mounted cargo carrier. I also don't recall the ccc of the Axis 25.5. If anyone knows it please let me know. It may put it back on our radar.

Thanks!

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum