Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2018, 04:40 PM   #3
gmtech16450yz

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 27.7
State: California
THOR #10907
I have some info and advice for you, but it's not pretty. lol.

Short answer- take it to a stereo shop and tell them to NOT use ANY of the radio wiring that's already in the coach. Tell them you want it wired all new like it never had a radio in it.

I'll put some pictures in here to explain...

First off, here's the converter box for the 3 cameras. This is where the turn signal inputs trigger the output to the different cameras. It defaults to the rear camera the way it's plugged in stock. Yes, it has RCA video outputs that most any aftermarket radio will be able to use for a backup camera input.

While we're talking about the cameras, what I'm doing is exactly what you're talking about. I'm putting a 12" monitor above the drivers head in the panel between the front shade and the drop down bed. It will be enough out of the way that it shouldn't be distracting, but if you glance up like you'd be looking in the mirror, you'll have a view from the rear camera on at all times when driving, unless you turn the turn signal on. Then the monitor will display the side cameras. Once the turn signal is off, the rear camera will turn back on and stay on. YAY!!!! BTW, all I've done so far with this monitor is to plug it in. The image is WAAAAAYYYYYY better than that cr@ppy little 6.5" screen that's too far away to see. I can see it's going to be amazing once I get it all installed! (BTW, this isn't where I'm installing it, it's just where I sat it to test it out. A big, widescreen IPS/LED computer monitor is going in that spot!)

Here's the link to the monitor I bought. Like I said, all I know so far is that it works and looks really good. It has a ton of inputs, I might actually use the BNC input for adding an HD security camera. I was going to replace the rear camera with a higher resolution one but so far the stock one looks decent. If you ever wanted a better camera though, this monitor will have the inputs needed for it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum