Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2018, 09:00 PM   #7
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
so if I understand what you're saying....
all loads are powered by the battery
the converter's job is only battery charging.

I've thought of that a few times myself. The only real hole I can see is in the case of a shorted or otherwise kaput battery... you're in the dark, no choice. Another similar example...I've read folks that are permanently plugged in asking if they even need a battery. Some folks just want it to be more like a house I suppose....
Aren’t they wired in parallel? Unless you “only” charge when Coach/House is disconnected from batteries, you don’t get to choose which way electrons flow. You can only control flow by where the switch is placed, but only when it’s open. When switch is closed, it shouldn’t matter.

Regarding second point, I’m not sure about newer converters, but on older ones if the battery is really dead, the converter won’t run the house properly. We spent a cold night once because of a bad battery in a motorhome, which was so dead that the converter couldn’t power the furnace fan directly. Apparently it needs a stable voltage to regulate (at least on older converters).

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum