Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: RV Starter Kit
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2015, 10:13 AM   #11
FW28z
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
This could get into a checklist I suppose of what you need, and there are plenty of check lists out there, but to keep it short, your starter kit should have:

1. sewer hose.
2. disposable gloves and disinfectant wipes for above.
3. drain elbow (depending on what kind of dump stations you have in your area).
4. white potable or RV hose (they don't smell the water like a regular garden hose).
5. pressure regulator (some campgrounds can damage your water system).
6. water filter.
7. TP
8. chemical treatment for black holding tank.
9. surge suppressor
10. voltmeter (if your surge suppressor does not have an automatic disconnect).
11. spirit level (to assist leveling, especially if you have slide outs).
12. Wheel chock.

At least that is my minimum starter kit. Some may seem as unneeded, but you will soon run across needing every one of them.

One issue I have with a Rhino-flex (and I own one), is the can be harder to put on and remove. It's hard to get good access to the sewer fitting in our coach due to it's location, so I can't get a good grip on the twist ring, especially with sanitary gloves on.

This is partly due to the design of the Rhino-flex fitting as the major part of the body rotates, and partly because my sewer fitting is low to the ground and tucked in under the coach chassis, and I can't get both hands on it.

In contrast, the fitting on the cheaper ones do not rotate, which can give you a better grip when you don't have adequate access to the fitting.

After using the Rhino-flex, I bought one of these sewer hose wrenches, which makes it a lot easier to install and remove (especially when wearing gloves):

A strap-wrench works well too - although it does take some time to put it on, and a bit more difficult when wearing gloves.

Of course, over time, you will likely be wanting to add a few tools, a spare parts kit (fuses, light bulbs, and things you seem to break often), tire gauge, and so on.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum