Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2018, 05:01 PM   #140
ButchSmartini

Brand: Still Looking
State: Florida
THOR #13729
JamieGeek (and FW29z, of course),

I just read every word of this thread, not daring to skip to the end to see if it worked. I've been working on exactly the same thing for my boat off and on for some time now, and I was hoping that you guys had figured it all out. It looks like you may have, but it appears that you made a significant change near the end - switching to the two vertical strips of copper tape, and (I think) using the FDC1004 as the interface between the strips and the Arduino.

I have tried strips of copper tape in three different places on the outside of the tank (like your large square of aluminum foil in your earlier version), but have found it impossible to get any sort of reliable consistency. It works great on the bench, but when I actually attach the strips to the tank, the numbers change dramatically, and they get so close together (from all four tape strips - some on the full part of the tank, some in the empty part) that I can't reliably tell what the level is. My next try will be using two parallel strips.

Would it be possible to get your Arduino code?

If you guys are serious about monitoring all kinds of things on your RVs (and it seems like you are), you should check out an open source project called Signal K. It was designed for boats, but there's nothing at all boat-specific about it. And another project called SigkSens - for reading data from various types of sensors and sending it via wifi to Signal K. Once your data is in Signal K, you can access it via wifi from any browser. Both are on GitHub if you're interested.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum