Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2018, 06:21 AM   #52
Firedog91902

Brand: Still Looking
State: California
THOR #11959
Front suspension would be a plus, but a quality steel frame(more flex than AL) and a 26 x 2.15 front tire is acceptable if you will primarily ride on pavement. You're a big guy so be sure the bike fits. Old, in good condition, is usually better than Walmart new. The '85 to '95 Japanese and Taiwan CroMo steel bikes are better than most new Chinese Al frames with cheap suspensions, bells and whistles. I especially like Japanese Miyata frames. His frames were used by Miyata, Univega, Bianchi, Trek and a dozen others. You may have own one and tossed it out. Young guys want '29ers, old farts like us that haven't found the magic of e assist don't want to ride at all. The 26" bikes are priced accordingly. That Trek would probably make a good e bike, but with such a short head tube it looks a bit too small for you.

Here's a 1992 Miyata SportRunner I wish you could test. The bike was $20; flat tires, and a rusty chain. The frame paint, stainless spokes, bearings and Al rims were all good. I tuned it up, added a larger front tire, larger chain ring, a cheap e kit and three 18v10.5ah batteries. The milk crate is for Costco runs and comes off in a minute. With that and a backpack I can carry a pile of heavy stuff.

I love it's ride even on dirt trails. It set it up with 54V, but I think you'd be happy with 36v500w as long as you don't expect the bike to do all the work up the hills. It will deliver over 1hp peak (750watts) and you should have no trouble holding 15-18 mph up a 6-7% grade. 24mph on the flat.

You might want to drop into a e bike shop and test ride a 36v500w bike just to check. Keep in mind, it will have fresh batteries (37-39v) that deliver more power than later in a longer ride. You'll be tempted to just spend the $2-5K, and take one home, but go home and think about it for a few days.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0069.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	14099  

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum