Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2015, 09:04 PM   #12
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphC View Post
Thanks again... Now, I just need to figure out why my 30 amp breaker kicks every time I try to plug in. I'm guessing I need double pole on that as well. I think the easier solution will involve installing a 20 amp breaker and outlet.
As far as I know, and as shown on diagrams Dave linked, a typical 30-Amp RV service only has one hot (120-Volts), one neutral, and a ground. There is no way to get 240 Volts from this setup. A double pole breaker is not applicable with standard 30-A RV service as far as I know.

The typical 50-Amp RV service has two hot wires (120-Volt each) that are out of phase, one neutral, and one ground. Because hot1 and hot2 are opposite (one is +120-Volts when other is -120-Volts) it's possible to get 240 Volts. With few exceptions most power in an RV is used at 120 Volts. Appliances like clothes dryers may be wired to operate at 240 Volts.

If I were installing a new service at home for a 50-Amp RV, and it required bringing in an electrician anyway, I think I would go ahead and install the the full service because the cost difference for the materials shouldn't be that much (assuming you are not running power over long distances). Most of your cost should be labor, and that shouldn't be all that different between 30-A and 50-A.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum