Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2019, 05:05 PM   #25
gmtech16450yz

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 27.7
State: California
THOR #10907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang46555 View Post
Jamie, do you know if installing the 5 star tune has any effect on Ford's chassis warranty? With our upcoming Colorado trip planned for later in the spring this thread has really got me thinking about getting one and I sure don't want to shoot myself in the foot.
This issue has been debated ad nauseum for years on every car and truck forum in the internet! Here's the bottom line...

Yes, technically modifying a factory tune can void your powertrain warranty. There are a few BIG differences in this application though.

The first is that this isn't a Mustang, Hellcat, Camaro or Corvette. If you blow the engine on one of those, the very first thing the dealer is going to do is check for an aftermarket tune.

Second is that this is a VERY strong engine and you're not talking about tuning it to the absolute max power by any means. And it doesn't have forced induction either. It's simply a somewhat industrial engine that's detuned in stock form.

Third is 5 Star themselves. They are one of the only "aftermarket tuners" I've seen that has actual Ford dealers installing the tunes and also has motorhome magazines doing reviews of their tunes. That's kind of crazy because not only do their tunes potentially void powertrain warranties, they're illegal as far as smog laws go. It's almost like in this RV world doing aftermarket tuning is given a pass, especially if it's done by 5 Star. That's absolutely NOT the case in the rest of the tuning world.

So MY opinion on the warranty and smog part of all of this? Don't worry about it. lol. Seriously, it's not like you're putting a turbo on it or taking the catalytic converter off. Technically putting headers, intakes and even changing thermostats is illegal. Is there a gigantic market built on people putting those things on their RV's? Yep.

httphttps://youtu.be/2q9BuzNRc3Q
gmtech16450yz is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum