Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2019, 07:51 PM   #72
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
So here's my question. If you go with twin alternators and a large inverter: wouldn't you find yourself eventually having to run the chassis engine to power things?
(And wouldn't that use more fuel than an Onan generator?)

If you were forced to run the 7.3L V8 solely to run a microwave or A/C, then yes, it would use more fuel.

However, when would you actually do that, and for how long? And how much of that would be offset by running A/C more efficiently while driving versus an Onan?

Think about it, if you stop for lunch and run a cold generator to power the microwave for a few minutes, is that more efficient than using batteries and inverter and then recharging while driving after lunch? I doubt it.

Anyway, I’m not worried about a gallon of fuel either way. I just like convenience, and stopping for lunch with full inverter power so I can run microwave, or make coffee, etc. by just turning the microwave on beats having to start a generator. I must be spoiled, because it’s not a big deal to crank a generator, but why do it if you don’t need to?

Do a search to see just how little most people actually use their Onan. And a lot of that is excersising the Onan which is a complete waste of fuel. Either way difference in fuel should be minimal unless you boondock frequently.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum