Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: Realistic MPG
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2019, 02:50 PM   #44
vegasruv24.1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Nevada
THOR #12329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Thor Chateau Class C are 99” compared to Axis/Vegas at 94” wide, plus Class Cs of that shape are assumed to have a higher coefficient of drag. Weight differences plays a much smaller role on fuel economy on the highway.

E-350 and E-450 are essentially the same except for the rear axle and springs, which adds a tiny bit of weight and “may” have different axle gear ratio. All E-450s are listed with 4.56 gears, whereas some E-350s (particularly older ones) may have 4.10 gears. If both have 4.56, MPG should be about the same when comparing equal units.

In my opinion all of these minor differences are still not going to make a huge difference even when combined in one unit. My previous Class C was narrow at 94”, light, and had 4.10 gears. Even then, I only got ~ 8 MPG on Interstates at 70 MPH. I only got 10 MPG twice while driving slowly out west sightseeing. Driving speed is as important as anything short of significant downsizing — it pays to slow down.
the frame is also thicker, and a bigger fuel tank on the e450, my 2018 22e, sold it to my youngest son, pulled my triple axel loaded to 10k lbs with ease...but I did put 235-85's and sumo's on it..70-75 mph...8 mpg was the norm...

the other thing about mpg...where you live and drive...we live in vegas… no matter which way you go,.. it's up hill there and back...

here's how I tell If I get good gas mileage…. I fill up before I leave,if I can drive all day on the same tank... that's good mpg to me...not say'n who cares what you get,.. but, we're not traveling for months at a time..so if I get 7.9mpg, or 8.2.. I don't care, and don't wanna know...what gripes me is to listen to guys claim 14 mpg in their coach...then find out they drive 20mph under the speed limit in the fast lane...and go even slower on single lane double yellow line roads...

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum