Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2019, 05:07 AM   #1517
Thor-Machine

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #14807
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
Regarding your moving the Chassis battery …Ron has been thinking of doing this … please tell us how you did it ?

thank you
Ron and Kay

Howdy.
The relocation of the chassis battery was a bit time consuming but really not too difficult.
I began by disconnecting the battery & removing it from the chassis.
This is best done from the top down.......meaning, from inside the cab.
If you aren't sure how to access the battery from the top down, let me know.
I have included all the parts & special tools you'll need at the end of these instructions.

After removing the battery, I bolted two 200A posts to the old battery box base. Take your pick of areas to mount these. There are many areas that will work. I chose the battery box base because it was convenient to the existing battery cables.

I cut the battery clamp connectors off the existing cables & crimped on #2 lugs. Use red/black heat shrink tubing on all your connections for a professional look.

I then attached the cables to the new posts. Mount your posts close enough that you can reach them with your modified battery cables.
Next, I crimped #2 lugs onto red & black welding cable and attached those ends to the new posts.
I then snaked the wires down to the forward trunk on the passenger side.
I drilled two holes and passed the wires into the trunk. Cable tie all your wires.

Inside the trunk I mounted a marine type battery box to the floor of the trunk with bolts & flat washers.
I placed the chassis battery inside the box and ran the welding cable to the battery.
I cut the cables to length & attached two #2 lugs & bolted them to the new battery clamps & the clamps to the battery.
Pop on the battery Box lid & enjoy a cold tea.

Here's a list of the items I bought for the job.
I got everything on Amazon.

• 2 Gauge Premium Extra Flexible Welding Cable 600 VOLT - BLACK - 25 FEET
  • 2 Gauge Premium Extra Flexible Welding Cable 600 VOLT - RED - 25 FEET

IWISS Battery Cable Lug Crimping Tools Hand Electrician Pliers for Crimping Wire Cable from 6-50mm˛(AWG 10-1/0) with Cable Cutters

SELTERM UL Listed Heavy Duty Wire Lugs Battery Cable Ends Bare Copper Eyelets Tubular Ring Terminal Connectors

Young4us 2 Pack 3/4'' Heat Shrink Tube 3:1 Adhesive-Lined Heat Shrinkable Tubing Black&RED 4Ft

Fastronix 3/8" Stainless Steel Single Stud Power and Ground Junction Block Red and Black

UTSAUTO Thickened Brass Battery Terminal Set 2Pcs Positive & Negative Car Battery Terminal Connectors Clamp For Truck Van Marine Boat Max Current 300A

NOCO Black HM327BKS Group 27 Snap-Top Box

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum