Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2019, 10:14 PM   #26
taylorbob1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
After reading abt all the furnace issues on the Forum...I tried to run my Atwood furnace this morning.
But like so many on this Forum, the fan runs, it sparks as designed, doesn’t light, I could smell propane and after 3 tries, the unit shut down.
I tried two more times, three sparks and I was out!

So I took the unit apart

1) remove outer cover
2) turn off propane and reset switch to OFF
3) disconnected propane from “carburetor”
4) remove 3 screws holding the “carburetor & flame assembly with igniter” to the heat box
5) removed two electrical connections (Black wire & Red wire) to the flame assembly which allows entire removal of flame assembly with igniter
6) once removed, noticed that the igniter (spark tongs) were near the flame burner, but not far enough apart to create a large & long spark
7) so I bent the “spark tongs” to allow a 3/4” spark
8) tested to see large, long spark (to test I reconnected the electrical wires & turned on reset switch, but no propane was on. Then I disconnected)
9) I then re-assembled carburator-flame assembly-igniter, turned-on reset switch, turned on propane, replaced cover
10) works the first time, every time now that the spark is larger & longer
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	97A30735-D69F-43FA-B31F-FF54085B0A88.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	17851  

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum