Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2019, 12:22 PM   #9
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
I agree, thinking internal combustion engines will be around in large numbers for a while still. If or when electric cars become cheaper to manufacture is when they will take off in large numbers IMO.

It may also take years for motorhomes to adopt 48V battery systems, but since Volta has had relative success, progression may speed up now, particularly if another company emerges to compete. Or if some RV manufacturers start to go to 48V on their own.

I mentioned benefit of smaller wiring sizes if switching from 12 to 48 Volts, but didn’t say the lower current rate could also reduce size of fuses, switches, relays, etc. Also the size/rating of solar controllers is reduced. Many solar controllers are rated at four times the wattage at 48 vs 12 Volts.

The remaining piece that’s still missing is the 48V (~ 56 for charging) alternator. As long as chassis manufacturers don’t offer an easy way to install a 48-Volt alternator, progress will continue to be slow in my opinion.

I’m hoping the new Ford electrical architecture they have been announcing with dual alternators may make the conversion simpler and much less expensive.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum