Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2019, 11:44 PM   #33
dkoldman

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Your math isn't fully computing.

If you have a F53 chassis with an 18K GVWR and 23K CVWR there is a difference of 5K. So if you had your RV fully loaded up to 18K then you could only pull a 5K trailer.

But if you only load the RV to 16K then you can pull a 7K trailer if you have the 8K rated hitch.

So your comment "means not only that I can't stock beer in the refrigerator, but my wife and I can't ride in RV on our fishing trip" is inaccurate in that you can load that stuff and a lot more before your RV will be at its GVWR.

I think the math is right, I may not understand something or you may not have followed what I meant?

I will try again. Per Thor one RV I am looking at is is rated at Gross Vehicle Weight of 18,000 lbs. So if I follow, that means the weight of RV itself before I start to load it it up with people or other stuff? Am I right?, if so that iis not math just the number I started with with.

I then proceeded to say, I have 24 ft boat. It has trailer, 50 gallons of gas and 10 gallon water tank which normally always full. With gear; that boat / trailer is right at 5,000 pounds.

So to me; I get 18,000 + 5,000 which is 23,000 lbs and the the Maximum Combined Weight. Thus my statement, no room to add beer or me and my wife without exceeding 23,000. For a V10 6.8 Triton regardless of transmission etc, that sound weak to me.

I just checked my Navigator's manual because I may have been towing over the limit all of these years without knowing, but I pull that boat/trailer with my Navigator with as many as 6 or 7 people in the truck at 70 - 75 mph with no issues whatsoever.

I do know this much, my Navigator hitch is rated at 6,000 lbs and will pull 9,200 with Weight distributor as I have tow package. I have never bothered to look at Combined Max gross weight that I reading and learning for these RV's.

But per Lincoln manual for Navigator...
Maximum GCWR is 15000 lbs / 6803 kg Trailer weight range 0 - 9000 lbs 94082 kg)

The GVWR is 7500 lbs. That means I have another 7,500 lbs for cargo / trailer. since boat / trailer fully loaded is 5,000 lbs, that leaves me 2,500 lbs for me my wife and plenty of beer. So all of this to say if I follow, I can safely tow my boat fully loaded with all of the legal passengers I wish, plus beer, and not exceed the the GCVW. But if I try to pull the same boat with RV that weighs 18,000, no room for cooler beer with ice to be legal, let alone me, my wife or any passengers.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is online now   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum