Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2019, 04:58 PM   #37
gmc

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcowley View Post
...data however shows the tire manufacturer to have the edge here.
Of course the tire manufacturer both marks the max cold pressure on the sidewalls - AND - publishes the load vs inflation charts...
The nice thing is you can of course follow whichever you want - or neither.

My 'mousetrap' preference:
I am not concerned about tire wear as I never expect to wear out MH tires (unlike my passenger vehicle). I expect the vast majority of us are in same position... Date expiration and dry rot happen long before tread wear.
- If I don't know the weight of rig - or am at/near max GVWR - I set to the placard weight provided by RV manufacturer.
- If I know the axle weights, I use the tire manufacturers load vs inflation chart.

For several years our travel pattern was long (snowbird) trips and I was at/near max - so ran the placarded weight.
Now with trip durations typically measured in days/weeks and not months, I carry less, and have been able to reduce pressures to match load.

Do what works for you and gives you the ride vs. tire life you want. I would only caution against running a lower pressure than the weight you are carrying requires (based on tire manufacturer data)... but above that choose what you want up to sidewall max.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum