Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2019, 03:02 PM   #23
Randy12

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Maryland
THOR #13642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
I’ve looked into this because I have a Ford E-350 van with SRWs. The rear axle is rated higher than the tires, so I thought of “upgrading” tires and wheels. However, my van is so light that I figured I didn’t need greater tire load capacity. It’s also too old to waste money on upgrading anything.

Anyway, Mercedes Sprinter use a “Super-Single” tire that I thought would be perfect because it’s 16-inches and same overall diameter. Your 19G and my van use the same LT245/75R16 tires with Load Index of 120 (3086 pounds).

The Sprinter SuperSingle are 285/65R16C, which is a Euro Commercial tire. They have a 128 Load Index (3968 pounds) with N Speed Rating (87 MPH).

They now have a new tire the same size that’s rated even higher. It’s 131R, which is more promising. That’s 4289 pounds and 106 MPH.

Because of extra width, they’d require wider wheels between 8” and 10”. Measured width is on 8-1/2 inch wheels.

I think there should be plenty of clearance for wider tires, which is a lot less than width of duallies. I doubt spacers are needed since these tires are only about 2 inches wider, so 1-inch to inside and 1-inch to outside if you keep same wheel offset.

By the way, new wheels would need the higher load and air pressure ratings.
Okay Folks I decided to Stay with the SIngle and did some research to upgrade the SHOCKS. Has Anyone changed their shocks? Took mine in to one of the only local Mechanics that had a bay large enough to get this in. THEY SAID they cannot do it because you need to access the SHOCKS from the inside of the RV. Does this make sense or are they just not capable of doing this? Looking at the Inside I cannot figure out how any access would be had to the shocks? REAR is what we are talking about? HELP!

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum